Ricky Rubio Is Entering The Draft

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
You are funny man. You are watching a video of a 17-18 year old and pick apart his jumpshot. :bang:

Some "lame" defense, still better than anything a college player has to play against.

You are forgetting that he already guarded Chris Paul in the olympics and had not much trouble with him. In fact he was pressuring Chris Paul.

And why does he get those layups? Because he can change directions, can go to the left or right etc will find the open man if someone comes to help etc.

He is simply talented and a very smart player.

He is averaging 10ppg 6apg 2.1spg 2.3rpg 42%FG 46%3pt 80%FT in 22mpg in the Spanish League as an 18 year old and that is under FIBA Rules, counting assists differently zone defenses etc.

He is leading the league by a big margin in assists per minute and also in steals per minute.

Even Brandon Jennings had to admit that he got outplayed by him eventhough Rubio was injured and according to Jennings playing with just one hand.

He's coming to the NBA so obviously he will be picked apart for everything. We'll see whose right, I've seen a lot of Rubio games FYI and I think he isn't as good as the youtube "hype." He's smart I'll give you that, but smart isn't the only thing you need in the NBA. I know I'm hating on the guy but I hope the Suns avoid this guy if he is available.

Last edited:

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To slin,

As good as Chris Paul is, you have to factor in Nash is as devastating as him offensively. Chris Paul is younger, a better athlete, but in terms of play making abilities, point guard skills, court awareness and vision, Nash is either equal to Paul or a little bit better as he has more experience. Shooting wise, Nash is also much better.

But overall, because of Chris Paul's ability to be good defensively and also have similar offensive impact as Nash, he gets the nod.

Nash is as dangerous in the halfcourt as Paul, might not penetrate and draw the foul as Paul, but Nash's have very good finishing skills, and his shooting allows him to have his opponents guessing all game. with Nash "focused" on getting points he will drop 30, not as easily as Paul these days, but Nash can.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh? The spanish league is by far better than the NCAA.

And with Rubio it is not just highlights. He isn't some random european talent that sits on a bench or something. He is 18 years old and a star already at the highest level.

Your acting like the Spanish league is the NBA. Please. Just because you can round up the best Spanish players for a national team doesn't make it a good league. There are more examples of european guys languishing then becoming stars.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Your acting like the Spanish league is the NBA. Please. Just because you can round up the best Spanish players for a national team doesn't make it a good league. There are more examples of european guys languishing then becoming stars.

Thank you! There's so much Euro trash here in the NBA, you have to be truly truly gifted to succeed in the NBA and in my opinion Rubio isn't.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

The Spanish league is the 2nd best domestic league in the world and the competition is much better than any NCAA team. If Rubio had been playing college hoops the past couple years he wouldn't have as many doubters.

HooverDam

Reaction score
How nearly every game he played against the Spurs? The half-court offense was pretty bad in those games.

The Suns scoring didn't go down much in the playoffs, or versus the Spurs I don't believe. It was their lack of being able to defend Parker, Ginobili and TD that was the biggest issue, not the offense sputtering (half court or otherwise)

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Spanish league IS better than college.

College game have players that have talent but are still learning the game, primarily players that are elite, it is RARE to have a good player that is an excellent team/system player, almost everytime its "potential" talent. Everyone knows college is or atleast most, treats it as a "talent" show case. In Europe, players are more basketball-team ready, players are professionals.

College have the advantage of quicker, more athletic players, again due to scholarships/scouting focus on "potential". In Spain, players are too "hired" for their potential, but more so, basketball know how is higher priority.

Also, the ONE main thing that people over look with europeans players are.. MOST are drafted to the NBA to be role players. Most euros in the league do not have plays made for them... they are drafted to the league because they are coachable and are used as "X" and "O".

I bet if a talented euro player drafted in the NBA was given ample opportunities to contribute, they will be as good as the middle tier players in the league.

Look at Scola, the guy is under rated as heck. Put him on a team where he is used correctly and given a big role, offensively mainly, he will be more than adept to it.

I do not doubt that college players/stars are indeed more "gifted", but I'm just saying Euros do not get the same opportunities as the touted american counterparts.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
:)OT:Jandaman, i just now had an epiphany. I realized what your avatar was.....nice.
Bizarre how one can look at something so many times,not recognize it, and then in an instant....there it is. A backboard & rim at SUNSet. Or is it SUN'Srise?;)

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
its funny to me that some of your are crowning this kid better than steve nash, who mind you is basically one of the best shooters of ALL TIME and probably the most potently offensive pg ever imo.

What do you mean by that? PPG + APG + shooting percentage? There's been so many great PG's surely he's not most "potently offensive" ever? Just wondering.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not saying he doesn't have potential. I am not saying the guy can't compete on the NBA level. What I am saying is that you can't look at some guy in a non-NBA league, look at some youtube video and say "franchise player". I did a general search on youtube and it's packed with guys from several leagues with "highlight" videos that make them look awesome. 90% of those guys will be lucky to sniff an NBA roster let alone become a franchise player.

It's ridiculous.

I will wait until draft day. By then all the NBA scouts have done their jobs and had the guy in for workouts. If you see him jumping up draft day boards....then I will get excited about the guy.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I will wait until draft day. By then all the NBA scouts have done their jobs and had the guy in for workouts. If you see him jumping up draft day boards....then I will get excited about the guy.

LOL!

Nobody needs him for a workout really.

This guy is projected as the #1 pick since he is 15 years old and scouts have followed all of his footsteps.

He is in no way comparable with any other european player ever drafted.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL!

Nobody needs him for a workout really.

This guy is projected as the #1 pick since he is 15 years old and scouts have followed all of his footsteps.

He is in no way comparable with any other european player ever drafted.

Not true. Guys rise and fall come draft day every single year. Also, I guarantee teams have him in for workouts between now and draft day. If that doesn't go well..his stock will fall. I will take those type of evaluations over youtube any day.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Not true. Guys rise and fall come draft day every single year. Also, I guarantee teams have him in for workouts between now and draft day. If that doesn't go well..his stock will fall. I will take those type of evaluations over youtube any day.

Pointless to argue with you, it seems you don't understand that Rubio's hype isn't based on youtube or anything like that at all. He is simply the best talent european basketball has ever produced, by a big margin.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am not saying he doesn't have potential. I am not saying the guy can't compete on the NBA level. What I am saying is that you can't look at some guy in a non-NBA league, look at some youtube video and say "franchise player". I did a general search on youtube and it's packed with guys from several leagues with "highlight" videos that make them look awesome. 90% of those guys will be lucky to sniff an NBA roster let alone become a franchise player.

It's ridiculous.

No one is basing their opinion on some selected Youtube highlights. We have all seen him play well against NBA stars in the Olympics. This seems like a much more relevant metric for predicting future NBA success than workouts for pro scouts or whatever you like.

Reaction score
It's pretty clear he has tremendous vision and ballhandling skills but I can't believe more of you don't see the enormous problem with his flat footed jump shot. He looks like me shooting a jumper. This guy is going to have huge problems getting his shot off in the NBA.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
It's pretty clear he has tremendous vision and ballhandling skills but I can't believe more of you don't see the enormous problem with his flat footed jump shot. He looks like me shooting a jumper. This guy is going to have huge problems getting his shot off in the NBA.

He's gonna get swatted back to Europe by NBA players.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You all sound like Eddie Johnson-level xenophobes.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Given his alarmingly low shooting percentages, I don't think his NBA team would want him to get his shot off.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
:)OT:Jandaman, i just now had an epiphany. I realized what your avatar was.....nice.
Bizarre how one can look at something so many times,not recognize it, and then in an instant....there it is. A backboard & rim at SUNSet. Or is it SUN'Srise?;)

haha
Actually that was my basketball rim a few years ago, woke up in the morning for some quick shooting practice, the morning was nice so took a shot (camera shot that is)... and voila! I like it..

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://slamonline.com/online/media/slam-tv/2009/04/rrbj/

Check out this article from December on Rubio. Here's a snippet about the buyout:

Rubio is a guy who once put up over 50 points and 20 boards in a game from the PG position.

The link doesn't have the whole article, but the most recent issue of SLAM has the entire thing and it's a pretty interesting read.

http://www.acb.com/jugador.php?id=BA5

I am not saying he didn't do the 50, 20 thing but he must have had some dud games offensively because he averaged just under 10ppg.

BTW, if we were in the 80s home skillet would probably be challenging Rick Martin for the lead of Menudo.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
http://www.acb.com/jugador.php?id=BA5

I am not saying he didn't do the 50, 20 thing but he must have had some dud games offensively because he averaged just under 10ppg.

BTW, if we were in the 80s home skillet would probably be challenging Rick Martin for the lead of Menudo.

The 50, 20 game was in the U16 tourney a couple years ago. His numbers that entire tournement were ridiculous but he was playing against other kids. His numbers this year weren't as good as last year because he had an injured hand and his minutes were limited, and even more so when he played in Euroleague. His per 40min stats were still very good.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
The guy is averaging just under 10 points a game in europe, i don't know that he has the ability to score enough to be any good. I mean his vision and ball handling are one thing, but you have to have more. He can't shoot well, and he doesn't score enough. I'm not sold by any means.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one is basing their opinion on some selected Youtube highlights. We have all seen him play well against NBA stars in the Olympics. This seems like a much more relevant metric for predicting future NBA success than workouts for pro scouts or whatever you like.

I think some people are because if you look at what he is averaging right now against non NBA talent....I think youtube gives him a boost.