Ricky Rubio Is Entering The Draft

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I hope he never falls to the Suns, he is going to be a complete bust.

Nope, he is the least likely player to be a bust in the entire draft as he has absolutely proven himself against pro players already unlike any college player.

But I guess there were people who expected Lebron to be a bust too.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well he'll be gone way before the Suns can pick but hopefully him entering the draft pushes a better caliber of player down to us.

Exactly. The more lottery caliber players in the draft the better.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And he is not THAT unathletic. At least he can still get up high enough to dunk on the break. And he has very good footwork to make up for his athleticism defensively. He was pressuring Chris Paul in the backcourt succesfully and picking his pocket.

In ignorant bball fan/analyst language "unathletic" means "white".

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
http://slamonline.com/online/media/slam-tv/2009/04/rrbj/

Check out this article from December on Rubio. Here's a snippet about the buyout:

Since then, I’ve heard many rumors. I’ve heard that Ricky’s contract buyout is so big (the number I heard was about $10 million) that he might not be able to buy it out and would have to wait until the contract expires next summer. I’ve heard a rumor that his team in Spain, DKV Joventut, could use the cash and would be willing to take less to let Ricky out of his deal. And I’ve heard most recently that negotiations are underway as I type this to get Ricky out of his contract.

Rubio is a guy who once put up over 50 points and 20 boards in a game from the PG position.

The link doesn't have the whole article, but the most recent issue of SLAM has the entire thing and it's a pretty interesting read.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Awesome. I hope we take him. he has HOF written all over him.

Might redefine the position.

I'm not down on Dragic, and dragic may become a very good pg, but I think Rubio will be the best of a generation. Chris Pau...Who? Steve Nash....who? Okay lol j/k on the nash (who?), but it would not surprise me for Rubio to have a better career than Nash. I do think he has more talent than Nash, and alot more than even Jason Kidd did when he was that young.

TBH, here's to getting #1 pick and selecting him. I don't care if there is a Lebron James to be picked, ok, that would be the ONLY pausing point, if the next Lebron was there. (But we're still waiting for the next jordan, so lol)

I'll take Ricky Rubio for the win, and domination.

In all seriousness, I haven't been this excited about a guy since lebron, and even then I think Rubio is even more special (more talent, less of a physical specimen).

He's special, and not in a derogatory way. I was pimping him last summer when this 18-19 year old was making these NBA stars look like rookies. He's that good.

Last edited:

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
His first name on the jersey is a Spain thing I think. Rudy fernandez had it too. Not sure about the gasol bros though.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Rubio is a guy who once put up over 50 points and 20 boards in a game from the PG position.

The link doesn't have the whole article, but the most recent issue of SLAM has the entire thing and it's a pretty interesting read.

That was in a game for under 15 year olds I think and against a pretty weak class however.

He's special, and not in a derogatory way. I was pimping him last summer when this 18-19 year old was making these NBA stars look like rookies. He's that good.

He was 17 at that time.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
its funny to me that some of your are crowning this kid better than steve nash, who mind you is basically one of the best shooters of ALL TIME and probably the most potently offensive pg ever imo.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
its funny to me that some of your are crowning this kid better than steve nash, who mind you is basically one of the best shooters of ALL TIME and probably the most potently offensive pg ever imo.

Chris Paul in his 2nd season already destroys your argument.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dragic looked like a world beater on youbtube. Honestly.....you don't know anything about any of these guys until they play in the NBA. I have seen so many times guys that look like they are the next <insert supstar here>, only to come into the NBA and dissappear.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Oh come on... You want to compare Dragic to Rubio?

Rubio is a prodigy like Lebron. He is proving himself in the euroleague. It is not just highlights.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That was in a game for under 15 year olds I think and against a pretty weak class however.

He was 17 at that time.

That's right, I forgot about that. That and seeing 'entering the draft', and the 19 age limit I guess I assumed wrong. But ofc it only makes it more impressive.

Dragic looked like a world beater on youbtube. Honestly.....you don't know anything about any of these guys until they play in the NBA. I have seen so many times guys that look like they are the next <insert supstar here>, only to come into the NBA and dissappear.

Well personally speaking I became a fan about 2 minutes into the 2008 basketball championships or whatever. He impressed me so much, it only needed a few trips up the court against our guys and you could see the talent THAT easily. It oozes out of him.

I remember when we drafted STAT and I was in disbelief with how good he was. I knew he'd be a superstar. Well this kid's normal game looked for a pg what Amare's highlight clip was to a pf, and Amare's highlight clip (like Marion's) was all I needed to see to know those two were special.

Like others have said, he's already (almost a year ago now), at age 17, run circles around NBA players. His passing 'moves' I assure you will work in the NBA.

He ran circles around them, and it wasn't the rule changes. He showed he could have played in the NBA talent wise two years ago at age 16. Probably wouldn't have been very good then, but you would have sensed he belonged.

True sometimes players look like worldbeaters in euro leagues and do nothing in the NBA. But this kid is different. He isn't an undersized (by weight pf/c) who has a good shot but can't bang with the big guys.

He's a pg, who shows he can do everything you wish your pg could do. Hell he can already do things we can only wish Nash could do, and you need only watch a few minutes to see him do things Nash can't do, or does once a month. He has proven he can do it against NBA players, and do it well.

This kid can improve for the next 10-12 years, before peaking, and then hang on for another decade after that. That is just flat out scary when it appears he runs an offense already as well as an NBA all-star 30+ year old pg.

Again if you remember Jason Kidd when he was in college, and how awesome he was, you might get an idea of what Rubio is like on an off-night (years younger). He blows the young Jason Kidd out of the water. That's how impressive this kid is.

Can he fail, sure, but in my mind, I haven't seen such a sure thing in a long, long time. Maybe never. Again Rubio at pg > Lebron at SF

So when you see how bad Lebron is at his respective position, imagine another guy who could do better at his respective position at pg and you have an idea of what this kid will probably do.

He looks better to me than AP did during his rookie season with the Vikings.

By this time next year, I have a strong feeling most people will have the same feeling.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score

Check out this article from December on Rubio. Here's a snippet about the buyout:

Watch his "jumpshot" he doesn't even jump. More than half those sneaky layups he did was because the defenders were clueless. That was some lame defense in all those clips and he isn't going to overplay defenders and steal balls like that in the NBA. He is a good passer but he doesn't look fast enough to guard the NBA pg's. Guys like Tony Parker will tear him apart. He is never going to score 50 points and grab 20 boards in an NBA game. His j isn't even good for NBA standards. If he thinks he's going to cut up NBA pg's and defenses and go down the lane and score he's got something else coming for him.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh come on... You want to compare Dragic to Rubio?

Rubio is a prodigy like Lebron. He is proving himself in the euroleague. It is not just highlights.

No not really. Making the point that you can't see some guy on youtube and deem him a franchise player. How many college guys were studs in college and didn't turn into much in the NBA? Now we see all these overseas guys on youtube in watered down leagues and they are now franchise players??

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Eh? The spanish league is by far better than the NCAA.

And with Rubio it is not just highlights. He isn't some random european talent that sits on a bench or something. He is 18 years old and a star already at the highest level.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Watch his "jumpshot" he doesn't even jump. More than half those sneaky layups he did was because the defenders were clueless. That was some lame defense in all those clips and he isn't going to overplay defenders and steal balls like that in the NBA. He is a good passer but he doesn't look fast enough to guard the NBA pg's. Guys like Tony Parker will tear him apart. He is never going to score 50 points and grab 20 boards in an NBA game. His j isn't even good for NBA standards. If he thinks he's going to cut up NBA pg's and defenses and go down the lane and score he's got something else coming for him.

You are funny man. You are watching a video of a 17-18 year old and pick apart his jumpshot. :bang:

Some "lame" defense, still better than anything a college player has to play against.

You are forgetting that he already guarded Chris Paul in the olympics and had not much trouble with him. In fact he was pressuring Chris Paul.

And why does he get those layups? Because he can change directions, can go to the left or right etc will find the open man if someone comes to help etc.

He is simply talented and a very smart player.

He is averaging 10ppg 6apg 2.1spg 2.3rpg 42%FG 46%3pt 80%FT in 22mpg in the Spanish League as an 18 year old and that is under FIBA Rules, counting assists differently zone defenses etc.

He is leading the league by a big margin in assists per minute and also in steals per minute.

Even Brandon Jennings had to admit that he got outplayed by him eventhough Rubio was injured and according to Jennings playing with just one hand.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
are you kidding me? 50/40/90 destroys your argument.......x3

Shooting alone doesn't equal offensive greatness.

What about the fact that Chris Paul is ten times more of a threat in the halfcourt offense and much better attacking the rim?

Nash can only play at an incredible pace. How could the best PG offensively be just average in the halfcourt offense?

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Shooting alone doesn't equal offensive greatness.

What about the fact that Chris Paul is ten times more of a threat in the halfcourt offense and much better attacking the rim?

Nash can only play at an incredible pace. How could the best PG offensively be just average in the halfcourt offense?

what the heck is the pick and roll then? just because slow immobile shaq came in and ruined any kind of half court offense we DID have doesnt mean nash cant play halfcourt. what kind of offense have we been forced to play during the playoffs for the last 4 years before porter got here?

nash may not be able to attack the rim as well as cp3 but i can turn around and name things that paul cant do at the same level as nash can.

HooverDam

Reaction score

I don't want to get too off topic here, but what the hell are you talking about? When the Suns struggled in the halfcourt it was when Nash went and sat down, when he was in everything on offense was fine and dandy. The Nash to Amare P&R was damned near unstoppable.

Steve Nash is a top 5 PG of all time, even with his defensive liabilities.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
From the reports I read his buyout would not hold up in court if challenged(his team was only paying him 60k a year up until this season but had him on a 10mil buyout). His team also doesn't sound like they'll play hardball with him as a favor.

Some people have claimed that this hype is just about his highlights but I've watched enough of him in real games in Olympics and on NBATV to be convinced he's the real deal. The defenses in the Spanish league are tougher than what he'll see in the NBA.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't want to get too off topic here, but what the hell are you talking about? When the Suns struggled in the halfcourt it was when Nash went and sat down, when he was in everything on offense was fine and dandy. The Nash to Amare P&R was damned near unstoppable.

Steve Nash is a top 5 PG of all time, even with his defensive liabilities.

How nearly every game he played against the Spurs? The half-court offense was pretty bad in those games.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Nash is the best offensive PG I have seen in my life. When to shoot, pure shooting, court vision, and movement were all Top 5 all time in terms of his ability among the greats.

Of course there have been some great designated hitters too. His defense has ruined his value on the offensive end the last 2 years though.