RJ back to Dbacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather give Hairston a chance rather than Eric Byrnes, considering the fact that Byrnes hasn't been able to put together two solid seasons in a row, plus the fact that you can pretty much count on him disappearing in the second half every year.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Yankees throughout the offseason have been in pursuit of a power-hitting 1B..... Their only 1B at the present time are Andy Phillips and recent Rule 5 draftee, Josh Phelps...... Therefore, I wouldnt be shocked if the ML that might be included in any package would be Tony Clark....

The only way the Dbacks will take on any salary would be to dump a lucractive contract in the process... Although.. Clark didnt excel during his initial tenure w/the Yankees..that was mainly because of lingering injuries which havent affected him in years.....Also, Clark only has one year on his contract, which then the Yankees could easily rid of by obviously not re-signing him the following season.. He would serve as an inexpensive (by Yankee standards) stop-gap until either Phillips or Phelps would become every day 1B........

It will probably be Clark, a mid-tier starting prospect.....The Yankees already have a surplus of OF, so there isnt a need for them to acquire Byrnes anyways.....

OP
OP
Espo

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
The Yankees throughout the offseason have been in pursuit of a power-hitting 1B..... Their only 1B at the present time are Andy Phillips and recent Rule 5 draftee, Josh Phelps...... Therefore, I wouldnt be shocked if the ML that might be included in any package would be Tony Clark....

The only way the Dbacks will take on any salary would be to dump a lucractive contract in the process... Although.. Clark didnt excel during his initial tenure w/the Yankees..that was mainly because of lingering injuries which havent affected him in years.....Also, Clark only has one year on his contract, which then the Yankees could easily rid of by obviously not re-signing him the following season.. He would serve as an inexpensive (by Yankee standards) stop-gap until either Phillips or Phelps would become every day 1B........

It will probably be Clark, a mid-tier starting prospect.....The Yankees already have a surplus of OF, so there isnt a need for them to acquire Byrnes anyways.....
I could deal with this. It helps to solidify the rotation and not much is given to the Yanks in return. Plus if RJ gets his 300 win here it guarantees he goes into the Hall as a Dback.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could deal with this. It helps to solidify the rotation and not much is given to the Yanks in return. Plus if RJ gets his 300 win here it guarantees he goes into the Hall as a Dback.

I believe RJ will be inducted into the HoF as Dback regardless since he's our first franchise player to make an impact of that magnitude and achieved most of his milestones here......

Tony Clark of course wouldnt be a loss to the Dbacks since Hammock, Callaspo, and Tracy (in some instances) could play 1B whenever CoJack needs to rest.......

If it did involve just Clark along with some mid-tier prospects...and it could be a potential coup for the Dbacks.... True, it seems Johnson has been on the decline the last couple of seasons, but him at 60% is higher than most of the potential rotation fillers the Dbacks have at this time.... also.. he might discover the fountain of youth here and probably hasnt excelled in the Pinstripes due to that intense media scrutiny that many struggle with......

To me... contingent on who the Dbacks give up.. it would be a low-risk.. high-reward situation.....

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I am sure Kenny Kendrick is just kicking to send off every top prospect the Dbacks have for Johnson. If we have seen one thing with this new era of Dbacks we have seen their love of bringing in any 2001 players left out there that they can.

Considering he just had back surgery and his skills are degrading fast, if they have to over pay with top prospects to get him back 2 years later and sign him to a 2-3 year deal then that would be about the biggest joke in this town ever.

I know the Dbacks are trying just about everything to drum up excitment with their team that is pouring red ink and no one really goes to the ballpark anymore but this is nothing more than a stunt to sell tickets in an all but hopeless situation, and won't really improve the team all that much.

Instead of sticking with the plan to build the franchise with youth like I am sure Burns wants to do, Kenny wammo Kendrick is probably pushing for this latest stunt to happen at the expense of the future.

If the Diamondbacks can get him for next to nothing, then whatever, I still would rather see young arms get a shot, but I understand it's a business and these guys need to fill some seats up fast. Just don't mortage the future for RJ.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure Kenny Kendrick is just kicking to send off every top prospect the Dbacks have for Johnson. If we have seen one thing with this new era of Dbacks we have seen their love of bringing in any 2001 players left out there that they can.
What? How many former players have the Diamondbacks brought back under Kendrick? I count Batista (who did well in his one year back) as the only one.

Considering he just had back surgery and his skills are degrading fast, if they have to over pay with top prospects to get him back 2 years later and sign him to a 2-3 year deal then that would be about the biggest joke in this town ever.

I know the Dbacks are trying just about everything to drum up excitment with their team that is pouring red ink and no one really goes to the ballpark anymore but this is nothing more than a stunt to sell tickets in an all but hopeless situation, and won't really improve the team all that much.
The Diamondbacks have turned a profit (albeit a minor one) the last two seasons, the only time they have ever done so.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Instead of sticking with the plan to build the franchise with youth like I am sure Burns wants to do, Kenny wammo Kendrick is probably pushing for this latest stunt to happen at the expense of the future.

If the Diamondbacks can get him for next to nothing, then whatever, I still would rather see young arms get a shot, but I understand it's a business and these guys need to fill some seats up fast. Just don't mortage the future for RJ.

That would be my concern if Joe Garagiola Jr. were still the Dbacks GM, however, in Josh Byrnes I trust....

Byrnes hasnt buckled under like the previous regime did and get pressured into sacrificing any of the uber prospects and I dont see how RJ would be an exception.....

Plus, they wouldnt give RJ a long-term contract immediately (especially guaranteed) since they balked at doing the same for Mulder (which would be idiotic otherwise)......

It's going to be more than likely Tony Clark, Casey Daigle, and probably some mid-tier AA prospect......

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I was glad when rid ourselves of him (though we should have had a better return in the deal), I'd be absolutely sick to see him return.

With his age and injury issues we'd be lucky to get 20 starts out of him in a season.

Waste of money, and if the D-Backs give up anything worthwhile for him they are going down a bad road again.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
Randy is not having Cy Young years any more. He could still win 15 games and an ERA of 3.75. Did not think New York would work out for him. he probably wants to come back to a place he is famiilar with. Burns is not Joe Jr. He got Livan Hernandez for practically nothing. Upton and Drew will not be traded. I agree with Clark and soem mid level prospects. Hopefully the Yankees will pay part of his salary

shoewizard

Reaction score
Thanks to the several posters welcoming me. I registered here a long time ago, but have not been posting, although I have been lurking.

Happy Holidays to all.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Randy is not having Cy Young years any more. He could still win 15 games and an ERA of 3.75. Did not think New York would work out for him. he probably wants to come back to a place he is famiilar with. Burns is not Joe Jr. He got Livan Hernandez for practically nothing. Upton and Drew will not be traded. I agree with Clark and soem mid level prospects. Hopefully the Yankees will pay part of his salary

What about Randy's ERA of 5 last year or the 60 Home Runs total he has given up in the past 2 combined seasons makes you think he is capable of an ERA under 4??? He is 43 yrs old with a history of back problems, last year is more along the lines of what to expect--although I'd venture to guess it will be with less innings and less starts.

The D-backs shouldn't even consider any player over the age of about 35...especially not at that ridiculous salary(I don't care if the Yankess pick up half his salary 7-8 million is still too much).

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
What about Randy's ERA of 5 last year or the 60 Home Runs total he has given up in the past 2 combined seasons makes you think he is capable of an ERA under 4??? He is 43 yrs old with a history of back problems, last year is more along the lines of what to expect--although I'd venture to guess it will be with less innings and less starts.

The D-backs shouldn't even consider any player over the age of about 35...especially not at that ridiculous salary(I don't care if the Yankess pick up half his salary 7-8 million is still too much).

Under 4 might be a reach but it will go down a half a run moving back to the NL.

Stan C

Veteran
Reaction score
If they trade Byrnes, and get RJ that'll be an interesting locker room. One mean old testy man and a bunch of kids. I'd like to see Johnson back, but I do think they may need some maturity on the team when they go through poor stretches, like any team does. But I don't have a clue where it's coming from, or how they could add any to the roster.
I'm probably the only one who thinks so, but I would have rather seen them resign Counsel that go with Calypso.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
What? How many former players have the Diamondbacks brought back under Kendrick? I count Batista (who did well in his one year back) as the only one.

In addition to Batista, Kelly Stinnet and Criag Counsell came back also. Matt Williams is back in the org, Jay Bell is back. The new regime definately has some affinity for that team and used it to leverage the fans. Well except for Gonzo and his huge option of course. Maybe it's nothing but it seems like they are going for the hype here and not really building the team. At this point and at 43 and back surgery I would classify this move as ticket sales driven.

If the price is too high then don't pay it. Don't mortgage the future for a guy who is 43 and just had back surgery.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
God, they never stop on ESPN.

Some imbecil over there is stating that a radio station in San Diego reports the Diamondbacks offered Chad Tracy and two prospects for Johnson.

Do they think Josh Byrnes is some kind of ****ing moron??

OP
OP
Espo

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
It's great to see how fast a rumor, true or untrue, can spread. Anyone can make up a rumor like that.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In addition to Batista, Kelly Stinnet and Criag Counsell came back also. Matt Williams is back in the org, Jay Bell is back. The new regime definately has some affinity for that team and used it to leverage the fans. Well except for Gonzo and his huge option of course. Maybe it's nothing but it seems like they are going for the hype here and not really building the team. At this point and at 43 and back surgery I would classify this move as ticket sales driven.

If the price is too high then don't pay it. Don't mortgage the future for a guy who is 43 and just had back surgery.
Kelly Stinnett wasnt on the 2001 team, and was brought in on a minor league contract - big deal. Counsell was brought in during the middle of the organization reshuffling. As for Williams and Bell, that sort of thing happens in every organization.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
KTLA in Los Angeles just reported that the Diamondbacks are close to acquiring Alex Rodriguez AND Johnson for Tony Clark, Casey Daigle and Jose Valverde.

Reportedly, the Diamondbacks will pay roughly 3.5 million dollars per year on both contracts with the Yanks picking up the majority of the financial side of both deals.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KTLA in Los Angeles just reported that the Diamondbacks are close to acquiring Alex Rodriguez AND Johnson for Tony Clark, Casey Daigle and Jose Valverde.

Reportedly, the Diamondbacks will pay roughly 3.5 million dollars per year on both contracts with the Yanks picking up the majority of the financial side of both deals.

:biglaugh:

OP
OP
Espo

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score

I heard they were throwing in a few prospects in order to pick up Robby Hammock in the deal.

HooverDam

Reaction score

Are you kidding me? That would be insanely awesome. ARod would give the Dbacks power, and if the Yankees were paying then his major flaw is removed. I'd love to see the Big Unit back, just for sentimental reasons- he could provide leadership and be a good middle of the rotation guy.

That has to be a joke, I can't imagine the Yankees would do that.

Most important question: If Randy returns to the desert, does he grow his hair long again? I hope so, I love to see the long hair flapping in the air as he pitches.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dbacks | Randy Johnson Trade Finalized
Mon, 25 Dec 2006 22:59:01 -0800
Updating previous items, the National Enquire Mike Hunt reports that the rumored trade involving Randy "Big Unit" Johnson returning back to Arizona has been finalized. In return, the Dbacks will be sending to the New York Yankees starting pitching prospects Micah Owings and Dennis Nippert along with prized OF prospect Carlos Gonzalez.

Status
Not open for further replies.