Rock Star 2: Supernova (Tommy Lee, Jason Newsted, and Gilby Clarke)

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dilana sang with the band and I am sorry but it just sucked. Now I don't know if she made it suck that bad or just a bad tune. We will see when some others get to rock with the band and have something to compare. But based on that performance Dilana is NOT the favorite anymore. THe band did not seem too impressed either. And I am telling you Storm still has much better voice and way WAY more range than Dilana. Dilana has the raspy voice but thats about all she loses pitch whenever she has to actually sing a little.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mesacardsfan said:
Dilana sang with the band and I am sorry but it just sucked. Now I don't know if she made it suck that bad or just a bad tune. We will see when some others get to rock with the band and have something to compare. But based on that performance Dilana is NOT the favorite anymore. THe band did not seem too impressed either. And I am telling you Storm still has much better voice and way WAY more range than Dilana. Dilana has the raspy voice but thats about all she loses pitch whenever she has to actually sing a little.

I didn't like that song either, I don't know if it was Dilana, or if I just didn't like the song but I think it was mainly the song. Sort of like the American Idol final where the song they wrote for McPhee was just a lousy song.

I can't remember where I read it but Jason Newstedt was quoted as really complaining about the show because he said they seem to be forgetting we are not INXS, we are not an existing band with a library of songs. We're interviewing to hire a singer and we don't have any songs for them to sing, we need to be writing material right now. I don't know too much about them but from that first song I get the impression that Gilby, Tommy and Jason were NOT heavily involved in writing song in their prior bands?

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I know tommy was involved with motley crue and gilbey was with gnr but not sure about newstead. Metallica already had tons of music before newstead became a member. I did not care much for the song but her singing made it almost unwatchable to me. And I like her for the most part but she had no clue what keys she was singing in it was like horrible karoake.

OP
OP
joeshmo

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I think the music over powered her voice.

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well mesacardsfan you'll get your wish tonight. Patrice will be axed. That "original" song was not too good.

Ryan will be the only "dark horse" left. I was thinking it was Toby's week to go, but he did really well. Plus he gets high marks for tricking Dilana into running around the pool naked. Good job Toby! :thumbup:

I can't believe Storm had to sing Steven Tyler. Nobody can do that. That's like having to sing Sammy Hagar or Joe Elliott from Def Leppard. Whew...

Anyways Ryan Star continues to impress while Lucas still sucks.
Still think it's gonna come down to Dilana and Magni. My Storm just isn't getting the love from the public as much lately.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZ Shocker said:
Well mesacardsfan you'll get your wish tonight. Patrice will be axed. That "original" song was not too good.

Ryan will be the only "dark horse" left. I was thinking it was Toby's week to go, but he did really well. Plus he gets high marks for tricking Dilana into running around the pool naked. Good job Toby! :thumbup:

I can't believe Storm had to sing Steven Tyler. Nobody can do that. That's like having to sing Sammy Hagar or Joe Elliott from Def Leppard. Whew...

Anyways Ryan Star continues to impress while Lucas still sucks.
Still think it's gonna come down to Dilana and Magni. My Storm just isn't getting the love from the public as much lately.

It's funny I never thought of aerosmith as being particular complicated songs but I started thinking about it when Storm said that and yeah they really do ask a lot of Steven Tyler on songs like Cryin or Dream On that require quite a vocal range. I thought she did it pretty well.

I wasn't thrilled with Dilana's song didn't really feature her unique voice.

I had Patrice, Lukas and Toby as my bottom 3. After Dave's comment to Patrice it's pretty likely she's bottom 3, he basically said you can sing but not for this band you should go solo.

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Patrice, DILANA, toby are gonna be the bottom 3. Sorry Dilana sucked tonight and patrice well she always sucks and then toby just because storm, lucas, ryan, magni were all better!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mesacardsfan said:
Patrice, DILANA, toby are gonna be the bottom 3. Sorry Dilana sucked tonight and patrice well she always sucks and then toby just because storm, lucas, ryan, magni were all better!

I think Dilana will be bottom 3 next week unless she really nails it because she is going to get such bad PR after last night. No idea what the deal was but all of a sudden we see her more than once throwing someone under the bus and basically acting like a primadonna.

Makes me wonder is this a "casting" move because people considered her the favorite and they didn't want it to be clear this early who was going to win? Was she just having a bad week? Also seemed like Magni and Ryan were well aware and quite willing to push her a bit to get her to go off more which was interesting too. But it did show a dynamic we really hadn't seen before, I always got the impression nobody likes Lukas, but it may be that nobody likes Dilana?

Interesting, as long as the band gets final say it can't doom here but I sure wouldn't be surprised to see her in the bottom 3 next week.

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah she showed part of her real personality I think. I always told my wife that Dilana kinda looks like a mean b****. Think she needs to be real concerned next week. Patrice gone FINALLY don't know how she made it this long, I guess when there were so many other bad people it let her slide for awhile. It will get very interesting now down to the final 6.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
mesacardsfan said:
Patrice gone FINALLY don't know how she made it this long,

Seriously, I don't know if I could handle watching her one more week. It was just painful.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that Dilana has been the front runner for so long it has gone to her head. Now she is feeling threatened by Ryan and Magni because they keep getting better and better. Especially Ryan who has improved every week. I personally think the band was soft on Dilana and I wasn't impressed with her last two songs.

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Personally I said all along that a woman would NOT win this thing, and I still beleive it. In fact Storm is much stronger vocally than Dilana, dilana just has that strange raspy voice that sounds either good or really bad. I think Lucas and Toby are the only 2 with a shot really. Magni is good but just don't see it and Ryan well I stand by what I said earleir. Ryan just can't really sing just not strong vocally at all. Listen to him closely always off key and gets way off key if he can't just stand still in one place. Let me ask you guys something...When was the last time you seen a Lead singer of a ROCK band just stand in one place and sing?

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So I watched this for the first time tonight. The guy that sang "Lithium" was terrible and the "band" ate it up. I think that this show is not for me, apparently. I did like Magni's interpretation of "I Alone".

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah Magni killed on "I Alone". Awesome! To me he would be perfect for this band, but I don't think they are really into him that much.

- Dilana is still losing momentum. She did well don't get me wrong, but the public may have had enough of her by now. I'm sure she'll still be in the final two though.

- Toby is coming on really strong. He may be threatening to move into the Top-3. "Rebel Yell" was spot-on with great energy. He got the crowd to really bounce. Also sounded real good on Storms' song by Evan-whatever.

- Ryan did well again, but may have slipped just a tad.

- Storm did really well also, but I think the voting people are not sold. Mostly cuz they listen to Dave Navarro too much. lol

- Lucas...ahhh what can I say. Personally I'm not a fan. I will admit he is starting to wear on me a bit. He seems very polished as a "star" with the look and a credible persona, but that's where it ends for him. His singing to me is bad. Much like those who don't like Dilanas' sometimes "raspy" singing style...I don't like Lucas "closed-throat" singing style.

I might have to say the Top-3 for me are now...
Magni, Toby and ahhhhh.... I guess Dilana.

This is getting really hard...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZ Shocker said:
Yeah Magni killed on "I Alone". Awesome! To me he would be perfect for this band, but I don't think they are really into him that much.

- Dilana is still losing momentum. She did well don't get me wrong, but the public may have had enough of her by now. I'm sure she'll still be in the final two though.

- Toby is coming on really strong. He may be threatening to move into the Top-3. "Rebel Yell" was spot-on with great energy. He got the crowd to really bounce. Also sounded real good on Storms' song by Evan-whatever.

- Ryan did well again, but may have slipped just a tad.

- Storm did really well also, but I think the voting people are not sold. Mostly cuz they listen to Dave Navarro too much. lol

- Lucas...ahhh what can I say. Personally I'm not a fan. I will admit he is starting to wear on me a bit. He seems very polished as a "star" with the look and a credible persona, but that's where it ends for him. His singing to me is bad. Much like those who don't like Dilanas' sometimes "raspy" singing style...I don't like Lucas "closed-throat" singing style.

I might have to say the Top-3 for me are now...
Magni, Toby and ahhhhh.... I guess Dilana.

This is getting really hard...

I still expect Dilana in the bottom 3 tonight based on her actions last week and what they showed last night. But I thought she was great again last night. Storm will be bottom 3 just because Gilby commented he wouldn't remember her performance and that Toby stole the show doing backup vocals for her(his reaction was nice he seemed genuinely annoyed like he had no intention of upstaging her). Storm is very good and she's easily the best at flirting and talking with the band but I get the feeling she's bottom 3. Ryan I figure is probably the 3rd one or Lukas. My guess is Storm or Ryan will go home of course dependent on what they do tonight.

At one point last night I was convinced Dilana wouldn't perform, that she'd say she was leaving the show, but you could tell as they showed more background that she wasn't going to do that. For a reality show her actions were pretty bad, but if you look at them in context, compared to the nonsense Axl Rose pulled with Gilbey's former band, Dilana is a saint!

Magni grows on me every week he really ripped that song which is one of my favorites, really impressed, if Dilana doesn't win, I hope he does. I think Toby is more "limited" but again I have to stress I still have no idea what sound Supernova is going to have the 2 new songs we've heard to me still don't peg for me their sound. They're from 3 very different bands and I still have no idea what they're going to be as a band. So far I have a sneaky suspicion no matter who they pick it's their material that's going to be the problem.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sick of Storm and her complaining about every freaking song she has to sing.

Boo hoo. Everyone could have complained about their song - some by the tune was previously sung or others who have to learn lyrics, but no other singer has gone that route.

She is so freaking fake, trying to act like a vixen to the band members.

The tribe has spoken. Storm, you are the next to leave the island.

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I thought Storm sang that song better than Jill and the Zieta chick by far. I think she did a great job with a very tuff song to sing. To me if she is in the bottom 3 tonight its just because everyone did pretty well who do you put there you know? Its getting tuff. Toby is really moving up and Ryan well he stunk last night and still think hes not even really in the running. Magni for some reason I dont think they like but he is very good. I think your looking at Lucas, Toby, Storm should be your top three at the end of the show. Lucas or Toby end up winning this thing. And I say again as good as Dilana performs is just as bad as her vocal range is, she just does not have the ability to sing alot of songs. I like her raspy voice its when she tries to sing that I dislike her singing just stick with raspy rockstar voice and it will be better for her.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mesacardsfan said:
I thought Storm sang that song better than Jill and the Zieta chick by far. I think she did a great job with a very tuff song to sing. To me if she is in the bottom 3 tonight its just because everyone did pretty well who do you put there you know? Its getting tuff. Toby is really moving up and Ryan well he stunk last night and still think hes not even really in the running. Magni for some reason I dont think they like but he is very good. I think your looking at Lucas, Toby, Storm should be your top three at the end of the show. Lucas or Toby end up winning this thing. And I say again as good as Dilana performs is just as bad as her vocal range is, she just does not have the ability to sing alot of songs. I like her raspy voice its when she tries to sing that I dislike her singing just stick with raspy rockstar voice and it will be better for her.

here's where I disagree with you, a LOT of rock singers don't have a huge vocal range, that's why most bands have a particular "sound" because they tend to write songs their singer can sing. I remember the first time I bought Appetite for Destruction, it took me weeks to figure out the same guy was singing every song because Axl's voice is so different song to song.

I thought Storm's approach last night was pretty good, she knew she couldn't do the high notes on that Evanescence song, especially the ones at the begining, so she didn't even try she just sung it her own way and I thought it sounded good. I thought both Jill and Zayra did the beginning better because they can hit the high notes, but once that song takes off, Storm was clearly better than either Jill or Zayra, she can sing that part for sure.

I guess it depends what the band wants, if they want a really versatile singer I suspect they'll pick Magni. If they want a distinct sound my guess would be Dilana.

I still don't think Toby is a great singer but I think he's got everything else and come on Tommy spent years in a band fronted by Vince Neil who can't sing a lick, he knows very well that there's a lot more to being a lead singer than being a singer and Toby seems to have the other stuff.

I still say at this point it won't matter who they pick, if they don't write some better songs they're going to suck. The first 2 songs we heard, which one would assume are the songs they think are their strongest, are just not very good IMHO.

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Agree they need to write some better material for sure. I like Dilana just don't think she is one of the stronger people there. To me Storm is a better frontman so to speak than Dilana, if Dilana did not look like a freak you would not even pay attention to her as she performs. Clearly Storm has been there done that for years you can see her comfort level being out in front, and she is better vocally. Having said that I don't think either of them have a chance to win

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The "Darkhorse" goes down. Give it up for Ryan though...he really did make a lot of progress. Very talented...just kinda nerdy and ill-coordinated. lol :)

I'm telling you...Lucas just does NOT fit. lol :doi:
That new song with SuperNova sounded pretty good musically, but vocally Lucas just isn't "vibing".

Unbelievably I think Toby is really making a push. Dude is really coming on. Magni still is the most talented male vocalist. Storm brings the energy and sex appeal. Dilana still has a shot. Hard to predict, but after this week I think the band is more high on Toby than before. Probably gonna take a harder look at him.

In my opinion I think anyone of these remaining 5 (with the excemption of Lucas) could easily front this band.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZ Shocker said:
The "Darkhorse" goes down. Give it up for Ryan though...he really did make a lot of progress. Very talented...just kinda nerdy and ill-coordinated. lol :)

I'm telling you...Lucas just does NOT fit. lol :doi:
That new song with SuperNova sounded pretty good musically, but vocally Lucas just isn't "vibing".

Unbelievably I think Toby is really making a push. Dude is really coming on. Magni still is the most talented male vocalist. Storm brings the energy and sex appeal. Dilana still has a shot. Hard to predict, but after this week I think the band is more high on Toby than before. Probably gonna take a harder look at him.

In my opinion I think anyone of these remaining 5 (with the excemption of Lucas) could easily front this band.

I actually thought Dilana may have blown it last night what was she thinking with the Talking Heads Psycho Killer? But they basically said you have built up credit with us so we're giving you a pass this week.

We'll see but she has fallen back to the pack no doubt after this week.

Oddly I thought all 3 last night were bad, Ryan was yelling not singing and his stage stuff was so contrived it was silly. You could see Jason and Gilby rolling their eyes when he was climbing the speakers, but then they praised him after he was done? Storm that's the one Beatles song I actually like and I thought she butchered it. But then Dilana picks a song that just IMHO has nothing to do with the type of music they want, just didn't get that it was almost as if she wanted to go home but just didn't want to quit?

I liked the music for the Supernova song but I couldn't understand a word Lukas sang, he really does tend to close off his throat when he sings as Jason keeps telling him.

After last night I'd say Magni, Toby and Dilana are the front runners and it might well be in that order.

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Toby is the front runner really, Dilana sucks and proved it again with that garbage she sang last night. Magni for some reason he just does not fit with the band, I think its still Lucas or Toby.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mesacardsfan said:
Toby is the front runner really, Dilana sucks and proved it again with that garbage she sang last night. Magni for some reason he just does not fit with the band, I think its still Lucas or Toby.

If Dilana wore a large clock would that help? :D

That was easily her worst performance, I was honestly expecting her to go after that song, didn't like it at all, huge risk, very lucky to survive.

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree Russ she is lucky to still be there. But in all honesty I don't think she or storm have a chance at all. Its gonna be one of the guys and think Toby actually front running right now!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22