Roster changes

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
The ASR on Fox Sports had an interesting chart up last night.

It simply had the players gone and the players added.
Out
Richardson
Johnson
Hunter
Voskuhl
McCarty
Outlaw
Shirley

In
Bell
Diaw
Thomas
Grant
Jones
Burke
Thompson

It will be interesting to see the final roster compared to the roster that started last season.

From the 04-05 media guide
:
Leandro Barbosa
Zarko Cabarkapa
Howard Eisley
Steven Hunter
Casey Jacobsen
Joe Johnson
Maciej Lampe
Shawn Marion
Steve Nash
Quentin Richardson
Amaré Stoudemire
Yuta Tabuse
Jake Voskuhl
Jackson Vroman

Even if the talent level of the starting five is not as good. I think we have a lot more players now that can help us play the Suns style of basketball deep into the playoffs.

It looks to me that we have added at least two players to the bench that might actually play significant and regular minutes

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think the Bell, Thomas, Grant and Jones acquisitions could become major slam dunks for us this year, and I'm probably in the minority when I say they will more than make up for the loss of Hunter, JJ and Q.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I think the Bell, Thomas, Grant and Jones acquisitions could become major slam dunks for us this year, and I'm probably in the minority when I say they will more than make up for the loss of Hunter, JJ and Q.

I totally agree (if that helps). I personally feel JJ and Q's stats were inflated due to the Suns style. Well see though. I'm really excited to see the Suns defend the basket!:)

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

I agree as well chap. I think that our TEAM is better this year, meaning guys 1-12.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was thinking about our perception of the team a year ago verus now. Last year we wondering:

Could the Suns win playing small ball?
Could the Suns stop anybody?
Was anyone off the bench good enough to help?
Was there anyone who could back up Amare?
How would Q and JJ get along?
Would any of their young bigs contribute? (Lampe, Vroman, and Carbakapa)

Even now, I'm not quite sure how they did it before trading for JJax. Casey Jacobsen was getting significant minutes and the Suns won early in the season with Voskuhl as Amare's backup. Is it any wonder the Suns starters set records for minutes per game played?

A year ago, there were still a lot of doubts about JJ. The previous season he shot just over 30% for three and there was concern that he wasn't as good without the ball in hands a lot.

This year, whether or not the Suns sign Finley, they will be a lot deeper and a lot better prepared to play defense. There are still a lot of questions, but compared to a year ago I think the Suns have a lot more answers.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuta Tabuse

As bad of a defensive liability as he was, he still ran the offense better than Barbosa did during practice. Bring him back I say..

OK, we don't have to bring him back, but Tabuse was a fan favorite, and I am convinced that Barbosa cannot run the offense as a PG.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I am not nearly as negative as many writers out there about our offseason. I am not pleased at how everything panned out, but again there were many extenuating circumstances that forced our hand. It is a shame we couldn't have financially kept the core together, with enough bench help. Regardless it will be quite interesting to see how this group meshes.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
boisesuns said:
I agree as well chap. I think that our TEAM is better this year, meaning guys 1-12.[

I have to admit that in terms of losing JJ and to a lesser extent Q, what we have managed to recoup is pretty impressive. Finley would be the only way i would say we are better then the 04/05 team. I'm a little worried about seeing Nash getting harrassed and double teamed to give up the ball, and not having someone else be able to take the opposing player off the dribble and pass or shoot depending on the better option. That is the biggest loss we lost by losing a player like Joe.

But if we can acquire some one to else who is a threat to drive or shoot (ideally fins) then I have no remorse about JJ punking out and leaving. We WOULD be a better than team than the 62 team from last year with Finley and with a limitless future with all our assets. It was very telling for me when someone on the board brought up the Suns doctors clearing him to play in the playoffs and JJ not playing. Then the team while initially shocked had to kiss his a$$ and say "Joe will play when hes ready". As much as like Joe as a player, IM not willing to give a guy max type money who isn't a)be tough as hell and want to win at all costs (like say Amare) or so athletic, that he could win the dunk contest for the next ten years (Again, Amare....Have we locked this guy up yet?). And we got MORE from Atlanta then Toronto got from New Jersey for the player fomerly known as Air Canada....its kind of amazing because Joe blowing up this year did actually end up benefitting us, even though hes not on the team. With good drafting and decisions we could be even better in the long run.

So screw all these national reporters who are so hypocritically saying we can't win in last years playofss due to our offensive ability and now when we get tougher, we are still not good enough due to losing some offensive firepower? I don't get it, and I think things will end up working out. These are the same writers who will qualify their missed predictions about the suns in the preseason, and how its "coincidentally" due to career years from both KT and Raja Bell. Yeah right, these guys are peaking athletically in their 30's ;) . It has nothing to do with the MVP, who i hate to warn you all, is going to go back to being underrated nationally while they all look for the next big thing. But i see him coming very close to matching production. Especially if our depth allow him more rest.

If we get Finley and hes productive, we will have as good a chance as anybody. So Yes, I am happy with whats happened. I really think that at least one of these two young 6'8 guys (Diaw and the new JJ) are going to develop into a very nice player. I like Atlantas chances of getting us a top 5 pick in a strong 07 class. And i think Nash and Amare will AT LEAST repeat what they did last season numbers wise. Things look good, and with one more guy, their chances would look a whole lot better...:thumbup:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
oh..and could somebody please direct me to a different avatar from the one i currently have. Preferbly one with STAT or James Jones......

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Also, I really hope that someone steps up and becomes a legitimate 3 point threat, especially Finley, who I think would fill that role best. I think he could really thrive in our system, with few other responsiblities other than keeping the defense honest and off of Amare.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
I think that most people are overestimating the loss of Q.

Q is a good player. He can drive to the bucket, he is a great post up wing, and he is a decent shot from outside. However, despite his abilities, all he did for the Suns was just jack-up threes and play mediocre defense. I can't count the number of times I watched the Suns play and sat there wondering "Has Q passed the ball once?" I think that about anyone filling in Q's role can do just as good of a job of launching shots everytime he touches the ball.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Neo said:
I think that most people are overestimating the loss of Q.

Disagree, there are very few people that are actually complaining about having Thomas instead of Q.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Disagree, there are very few people that are actually complaining about having Thomas instead of Q.

Not on this board, but a lot of the national media making it sound like this is a nail in the Suns' coffin.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Neo said:
Not on this board, but a lot of the national media making it sound like this is a nail in the Suns' coffin.

Haven't heard that about Q. Definitely have heard it about JJ, though.

OP
OP
Chaz

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

Breaking up the starting 5 hurts because they were something special.

However, the addition of Thomas and Bell offset the loss of Q in my opinion.
It helps the Suns in two areas where they needed help, depth and rebounding.

The loss of Joe hurts us again but It seems like they are recovering well with Jones, Diaw, and the picks. I am really interested to see if the Suns can manage to add someone else with the remainder of the trade exception before training camp.

Plus we may get a look at some guys like Graham in camp.

Tischer does not show up on the roster. Didn't they reach an agreement with him? Does anyone know if he will be in camp?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Neo said:
Perhaps I am as dumb as people usually tell me I am. That is discouraging.

Lol, well Neo, haven't noticed anything you've posted yet, but this is hilarious... :thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake