Roughing the passer on Matt? No Call?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was late in the second, I think...maybe the third. We were driving and ended up with a FG. Matt rolled out and tossed a crappy throw. Replay showed that Matt had his legs cut out from under him...long after he released the ball. Should have been a flag and us inside the 15 and a first down.

Anyone else see that and get mad? Especially after Dockett got flagged for his hit (where he did lead with his head..so good call)?

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
It was late in the second, I think...maybe the third. We were driving and ended up with a FG. Matt rolled out and tossed a crappy throw. Replay showed that Matt had his legs cut out from under him...long after he released the ball. Should have been a flag and us inside the 15 and a first down.

Anyone else see that and get mad? Especially after Dockett got flagged for his hit (where he did lead with his head..so good call)?

Golic said since he was out of the pocket he was fair game.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Golic said since he was out of the pocket he was fair game.

Golic is an idiot. Out of the pocket or not, you can't hit a QB after he has thrown the ball.

On the Willis one, he was also out of the pocket...but that was a good hit because he hit him just after he released. The other one, no dice. Dude had released, was looking downfield at the pass and had his legs cut out from under him.

I think you are referencing Golic's comment on the Willis hit (good play). But, Golic is still a braindead moron and if he said that about the other hit he's more stupid than a braindead moron. Just pull the plug on him.

For future reference "but Golic said" is never, ever, ever going to be the start of a solid argument.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I thought that there was a rule saying you couldn't hit the QB below the legs. Also, if you watch closely it looks like the niners defender just fell into Matt's legs. I call it a cheapshot!!!

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
I thought that there was a rule saying you couldn't hit the QB below the legs. Also, if you watch closely it looks like the niners defender just fell into Matt's legs. I call it a cheapshot!!!

LOL if you want to talk cheapshot look no further than Darnell Dockett.

Genus49

Reaction score

He was blocked into him if I'm thinking of the same play you are, thus no call.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's the play I'm thinking it was 94 and if you watched he actually lost his balance and slid into Matt's legs which is why I think they didn't call it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL if you want to talk cheapshot look no further than Darnell Dockett.

That wasn't a cheapshot, but he should have let up. If he would have done that, he wouldn't have gotten a penalty. The one where Matt scrambled left and was essentially chop blocked should have been a penalty.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought the Willis hit was a cheap shot. If you watch it again it was right under the chin. He led with his helmet.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought the Willis hit was a cheap shot. If you watch it again it was right under the chin. He led with his helmet.

I disagree 100%. Willis' helmet really didn't appear to hit Matt...it was all shoulder pad contact as I saw it. And even if his helmet did hit Matt, he certainly did not lead with his helmet like Dockett did.

On the topic here, I was surprised that play on Matt in Q2 wasn't a penalty...not for the shot at the legs which was legal outside the pocket but it sure seemed late and I don't think he was blocked into him. I guess if he lost his balance and fell I could accept that...maybe.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score

The one by Willis was clean IMO. I think the one you are talking about is the one they showed in a replay after several plays had been run. Yeah, I thought that one was a late hit...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree 100%. Willis' helmet really didn't appear to hit Matt...it was all shoulder pad contact as I saw it. And even if his helmet did hit Matt, he certainly did not lead with his helmet like Dockett did.

On the topic here, I was surprised that play on Matt in Q2 wasn't a penalty...not for the shot at the legs which was legal outside the pocket but it sure seemed late and I don't think he was blocked into him. I guess if he lost his balance and fell I could accept that...maybe.

I thought he lead with his head too. The replay clearly showed that he led with his shoulder. Patrick Willis will be the defensive rookie of the year.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought he lead with his head too. The replay clearly showed that he led with his shoulder. Patrick Willis will be the defensive rookie of the year.

In real time speed, I thought he may have led with his helmet as well but the replay showed he clearly didn't. Just a huge hit.

I agree with you on Willis and will take it one step further and say, as long as he stays healthy, he is going to be scary good for a long time. Dude was a wrecking crew last night.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT??? Dockett's was timed just fine, he only lead with his head.

Cheapshot my ass.

He launched himself and led with his head, that was a penalty IMHO.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He said it was a penalty Russ, just if you gonna call a game call it both ways. I expected to get screwed on the calls last night playing in SF, and I wasn't disappointed at all. Typical crap calls against us in the second half what like 6 penaltys in the first minute, I mean come on!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He said it was a penalty Russ, just if you gonna call a game call it both ways. I expected to get screwed on the calls last night playing in SF, and I wasn't disappointed at all. Typical crap calls against us in the second half what like 6 penaltys in the first minute, I mean come on!

3 false starts, those aren't crap calls.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh may have been a couple of legitimate calls, but I could count a whole bunch of 9'ers doing it all night...how many times did those get called?? Not saying some of the calls weren't right but NO calls against the other team pretty much can screw you the same way!!

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We got a few calls that I'm sure pissed off 49ers fans.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh may have been a couple of legitimate calls, but I could count a whole bunch of 9'ers doing it all night...how many times did those get called?? Not saying some of the calls weren't right but NO calls against the other team pretty much can screw you the same way!!

Compared to how horribly biased the refs are towards the Cards, this was a very fairly officiated game IMO.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Compared to how horribly biased the refs are towards the Cards, this was a very fairly officiated game IMO.

Am I reading this correctly? Biased towards the Cards??? Youv'e got to be kidding!!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep the worst call of the night was the illegal contact on Spencer from what I saw it was incidental.

There was one play where Gore outright tackled Rod Hood on a CB blitz and
didn't get called, Smith had a big completion but in general we just committed more penalties than they did.

On dockett he has a reputation as a dirty player, he came into the NFL with that rep, and he's reinforced it in his NFL career. He launched himself at the head of an NFL QB, the ball was out, he got the penalty. Was he trying to hurt him no, was it a cheapshot, borderline yes IMHO. He had a great game but he is good for one dumb play a game and that was it last night.

I think I gotta banish myself for a few hours I'm still too angry about that loss.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I reading this correctly? Biased towards the Cards??? Youv'e got to be kidding!!

No, it is poor worded on my part. The Cards almost always get the short end of the referee stick. It just wasn't this night.

You can be biased positively and negatively btw.