Round 1, Pick 16: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (CB)

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I would've prefered the Cards Trade down and select Cason...Oh, well...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer this kid to taking Mendenhall at that spot. Which is what I thought we might do.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I am nervous as I am always sceptical of guys who shoot up the board after the season is over.

I would have gone Mendenhall but am not torn up about it -- had Stewart been there, different story.

What I like: lots of upside to his guy and he doesnt have to start right out of the box.

I also like that in the nickle -- the Cards can trot out three outstanding athletes in Rolle, Wilson, and DRC to go along with Green and Hood. Adding Rolle and DRC ups the speed quotient significantly to the backfield relative to last year.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'm jealous! I wanted him to fall to the Chargers. We took Cason from ASU. This guy is a stud. I've studied a lot about him. This is a GREAT AZ pick, imho. :thumbup:

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
John Madden used to say, you start building a team with an offensive line and two cover corners. Then, and only then, do you start adding other pieces...

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Weird first round. I'm modestly happy with the Rogers-Cromartie pick. This at least shows that the Cards have faith in their coaches to give him the fundamentals over the next year.

I wanted Jonathan Stewart, but he wasn't available. The Cards picked over two players that I had rated higher on my Best Player Available board (http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110767). I can't argue.

Apparently the "experts" were wrong about the value of Mendenhall.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
kind of a weird question, but what # will he wear do you think? are cbs in the nfl allowed to wear numbers in the forties?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Thank GOD we didn't have the chance to take Albert. I didn't want him at all. I kept saying 'don't say Felix Jones, don't say Felix Jones' as Goodell strode to the podium.
Co-sign. Big time.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am very happy with the pick.

We need a speed RB late though.

And also need to draft Owen Schmitt.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
We were just discussing before the draft the annoying tendency by the media to refer to the Cardinals as "St. Louis" or "Phoenix". And then, there's this from AZCentral.com of all places:

You must be registered for see images

LOL...it's all the same to them. Check out where www.phxcentral.com takes you. :p

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Me no likey...

I will echo en fuego...I don't like guys who shoot up draft charts after the season is over. He didn't exactly play against superior talent or even mediocre talent. Sure, he dominated against those he played against but he wasn't playing against very many (if any at all) potential NFL WRs.

Graves was seduced by the experts into making this pick.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me no likey...

I will echo en fuego...I don't like guys who shoot up draft charts after the season is over. He didn't exactly play against superior talent or even mediocre talent. Sure, he dominated against those he played against but he wasn't playing against very many (if any at all) potential NFL WRs.

Graves was seduced by the experts into making this pick.

I was in your camp. But I have to give the guy credit for dominating against big talent at the Senior Bowl. Small sampling yes. but he literally floored all NFL scouts form the sounds of it.

plus Harry likes him :)

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was in your camp. But I have to give the guy credit for dominating against big talent at the Senior Bowl. Small sampling yes. but he literally floored all NFL scouts form the sounds of it.

plus Harry likes him :)

And how many guys have torn it up at Senior Bowl only to look like they have two left legs and two right arms playing in the NFL?

If he dominated against Senior Bowl level talent his whole college career, I wouldn't even be discussing him.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And how many guys have torn it up at Senior Bowl only to look like they have two left legs and two right arms playing in the NFL?

If he dominated against Senior Bowl level talent his whole college career, I wouldn't even be discussing him.

Agreed. but there have also been guys who have stuck out at Senior bowl and become very good in the NFL.

Im going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. He definitely has NFL caliber athleticism!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. but there have also been guys who have stuck out at Senior bowl and become very good in the NFL.

Absolutely. I feel better about this pick if the Cards have a solid #1 corner right now and are not expecting him to basically step on the field an shut down one side of it like they undoubtedly are.

He gets the benefit of the doubt for sure but I still dislike it. There were more favorable CBs ahead of him in my mind and I maintain that Graves (among others) was duped into this pick more by a tiny physical sampling of his play as well as what the so called draft experts did to elevate this kid.

I am not heaping blame on Graves per se but the draft buildup I think tends to get teams thinking in the wrong directions sometimes with all the noise out there. The a GM succumbs to a bit of...well something akin to peer pressure...and makes a pick that would go against the grain had there not been all the talking heads spouting their wisdom.

Edit: I would add there were much better players that were BPA to take there...this isn't just about taking a CB.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Absolutely. I feel better about this pick if the Cards have a solid #1 corner right now and are not expecting him to basically step on the field an shut down one side of it like they undoubtedly are.

He gets the benefit of the doubt for sure but I still dislike it. There were more favorable CBs ahead of him in my mind and I maintain that Graves (among others) was duped into this pick more by a tiny physical sampling of his play as well as what the so called draft experts did to elevate this kid.

I am not heaping blame on Graves per se but the draft buildup I think tends to get teams thinking in the wrong directions sometimes with all the noise out there. The a GM succumbs to a bit of...well something akin to peer pressure...and makes a pick that would go against the grain had there not been all the talking heads spouting their wisdom.

Edit: I would add there were much better players that were BPA to take there...this isn't just about taking a CB.

He tore it up though, Senior Bowl week against top competition, But yeah, he climbed up. A 4.3 40 sure didn't hurt either. And the fact he has good genes in that family.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, DRC is the anti-Antrel Rolle. DRC has the measurable, but didn't play at the name school. Rolle is/was the opposite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05