Round Two: Mavs vs. Suns

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
What JJ does defensively is going to be really key. If he can shut down Finley then the Mavs have no real shot. When Finley plays well the Mavs are very tough to beat.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I'm more worried about Howard and Stack. The former gave the Suns fits by going strong to the basket. I wished JJ could be as aggressive when we played the Mavs in the regular season. If we get an angry JJ who is not afraid of contact anymore. We'll walk through this series easily. In any case, I think Q will be even more clutch in his second playoff series than in his first.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns will take this series in 5 games...cakewalk baby!

:D

Honestly, when we're focused, we can destroy teams...

No one on the Mavs can guard Amare...Dirk has trouble against Marion...Joe Johnson can guard Stackhouse...

I think we play way better defense, and are better on offense.

5 games, maybe 6...

Mike

bdjncox

Reaction score
Hi - great forum. Mavs fan here that loves good spirited debate.

I thought Dallas was very fortunate to get out of Round One especially the way that Yao and McGrady were pulling off the pick and roll to perfection. I haven't watched alot of the Suns this year, but I'd imagine from what I know of Steve Nash that they are capable of the same devastating PnR attack.

The key for Dallas to win, I think, is the bench play. That's really the only significant advantage that Dallas holds in this series (and I know that can be debated).

Having not watched much Phoenix basketball, is there any hope that Amare gets into foul trouble? please?

King A

Registered
Reaction score
bdjncox said:

I thought Dallas was very fortunate to get out of Round One especially the way that Yao and McGrady were pulling off the pick and roll to perfection. I haven't watched alot of the Suns this year, but I'd imagine from what I know of Steve Nash that they are capable of the same devastating PnR attack.

The key for Dallas to win, I think, is the bench play. That's really the only significant advantage that Dallas holds in this series (and I know that can be debated).

Having not watched much Phoenix basketball, is there any hope that Amare gets into foul trouble? please?

Amare and foul trouble? Uhm, got a Yao and he might be once in 4 games!

bdjncox

Reaction score
King A said:
Amare and foul trouble? Uhm, got a Yao and he might be once in 4 games!

That's what I was afraid of. Ugly matchup for Dallas.

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1st off great post by mavs fans! TY
2Nd I would give advantage to terry if you are counting points against points, not overall play. if you only take points on points it is a little more clear to predict match ups, But it is really difficult to take overall performances and translate them into advantages,That type of rating system has to big a range on how important one aspect is to another from poster to poster, However stat will blow Damp out of the water in every aspect of the game. unless Amare decides to not play defense.The rest could go either way on a game to game basis. I say the suns in 4. This way they can not out do my prediction! :D :thumbup: Go SUNS!!!!

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
bdjncox said:

Greetings,

Yes, some games Amare gets into quick foul trouble and ends up with around 10 points, but it is not very common. I think you just need to hope Dallas outshoots the Suns.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been thinking about how this layoff might help the Suns.

First, they will be healthy. That matters alot. Good health negates Dallas' bench advantage.

They will be fresh and rested. While it might lead to a little rustiness in shooting and scoring, I think it will help the Suns defensively. When they came out of training camp at the beginning of the year they were focused defensively. As the year wore on they lost a little focus.

We'll see tonight.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mavs in 6 and they start by taking game 1 tonight. They are deep and battle tested. Meanwhile the Suns played a shattered Memphis team that hated its own coach.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Mavs in 6 and they start by taking game 1 tonight. They are deep and battle tested. Meanwhile the Suns played a shattered Memphis team that hated its own coach.

:doi: :)

Edit: Excellent anticurse. Worked very well s. Memphis. Good job, Skkorp.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

who do you think harbors more hatred, the griz for fratello or skorp for the suns?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

I take it you're saying this simply because you predicted Memphis to win and they lost. Badly. Considering the praises you were giving the Grizzlies, this post is pretty funny.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I take it you're saying this simply because you predicted Memphis to win and they lost. Badly. Considering the praises you were giving the Grizzlies, this post is pretty funny.

hey, as long as the suns keep doing the opposite of skorp's predictions, i'm all for skorp predicting losses!!

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
hey, as long as the suns keep doing the opposite of skorp's predictions, i'm all for skorp predicting losses!!

Exactly.

I feel better now that Skkorp thinks they are going to lose. :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

sweet! Now we're SURE to win!

Come on Skkorp? Battle-tested at WHAT? Losing? Jason Terry, Erick Dampier Keith Can Horn? Battle-tested?

The only guys on that squad who have really even been through the wars together have been Finley and Dirk - and considering that during their battles - they always GOT SLAUGHTERED - it ain't that big of a deal to me. Especially when you consider WE have THEIR LEADER! And Marion - who is just as battle tested (and shrunk in the past like Fins and Dirk) and JJ and Jimmy Jackson on our team - I really don't think this series boils down to playoff experience. You want to make that argument for a possible series against the Spurs - I got no problem with that and might even agree with you but not with this Mavs squad.

I don't think it'll be the rout everyone here is expecting - but I DO think we'll win it after giving us all a couple coronaries.

Keep picking against us though Skkorp - you're working wonders so far! You're like the Lee Corso of the Suns board!

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
playstation said:
FDog, I know you're trying to be objective here, but imo as a general rule, no league MVP should be at a disadvantage to a non-allstar. the best terry can hope for is a draw, but to say nash will be outplayed, and badly to boot, is to disrespect nash's talent.

that being said, i say this series goes the distance, and i don't like picking winners in game 7...

If I was trying to be objective, I would have put Dirk over Marion. Dirk was third in the MVP voting. :p

There's no question this is going to be the "Steve Nash series". The thing you have to remember, though, is that the Mavericks didn't dump Nash just because of the money. They also went to the playoffs for three or four years in a row, and every series they lost, Nash was getting destroyed by some scoring point guard.

Now, that entire Mavericks organization believes that a Steve Nash team can't win in the playoffs, just like Suns fans believe that Jason Kidd can't win in the playoffs after watching him throw up 25 bricks a game on the Suns for several years running. They've brought in JET (who always abused Nash when Nash was in Dallas), they brought in Darrell Armstrong, and now they're going to attack Nash at every opportunity. They know all of Nash's weaknesses already.

The Mavericks are going to go into this series looking to prove that you can't win in the playoffs with Steve Nash. And the Suns will try to show that Nash's playoff struggles were all the fault of his lousy, one-dimensional teammates. ;)

Anyway, I'm almost willing to guarantee that Jason Terry will put up 25+ ppg this series, on 50+% shooting. The Suns can win anyway, but it's going to be because of the other guys stepping up to help Steve Nash, not the other way around (a.k.a. the usual way).

Errntknght

Reaction score
"...and now they're going to attack Nash at every opportunity. They know all of Nash's weaknesses already."

Hopefully, they will. If Jason Terry scores 30 in the normal flow of the Dallas offense it will tough to beat them but if they distort their offense in order to attack Nash, I'm much less concerned, regardless of how many points Terry gets. As long as Nash doesn't take it 'personally' and respond by trying to score too much himself. As some famous coach said, "Passing is relaxing"... I hope Stevie gets himself very relaxed and shoots only when it's needed.

I expect the series to go the distance with the Suns winning a tough game 7 after being down 2-3, 1-2 and 0-1. (I don't dare predict Dallas winning as I called every first round series correctly. This round I don't expect any upsets - Suns and Spurs to WCF and Pistons and Miami to ECF.)

Reaction score
Suns in 4. We start the playoffs 8-0.

Dallas is faced with a matchup nightmare. I don't think they can contain their tendency to run when we force the pace-and they will lose that battle every time. They aren't going to be a great defensive team overnight (literally). Leopards can't change their spots, as the saying goes.

And I can't wait for this game to start. The Detroit-Pacers game is awful.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's probably safe to say our Game 1 will probably be the best Game 1 of this round. All 3 games so far have been ugly and blowouts. While it'd be nice for us to blow out the Mavs, I just don't see that happening.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
Hopefully, they will. If Jason Terry scores 30 in the normal flow of the Dallas offense it will tough to beat them but if they distort their offense in order to attack Nash, I'm much less concerned, regardless of how many points Terry gets.

The Mavs don't really have a "normal flow" IMO. Their advantage is that they're chameleon-like, with the ability to flow to their opponents' weaknesses.

Nowitzki is really the only constant in their offense.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
It's probably safe to say our Game 1 will probably be the best Game 1 of this round. All 3 games so far have been ugly and blowouts.

Hey, I might actually get to see the beginning of the Suns game tonight! :D

jibikao

Reaction score
Man... a very nice block by Amare over Nash!! lol But I hope Amare didn't injure himself...damn, he is having such a great game so far. Mavs really didn't have any answer for him.

Nash looks intense..lol

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
So much for the 'rust' factor. It's halftime and Dallas looks tired while the Suns look like they just got a week off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05