Sale Announcement Conference on KTAR right now

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Does that mean Kerr has to give up his broadcasting career? Are there any conflict-of-interest issues when a broadcaster owns part of another team? I guess he could still be a studio analyst.

There's something ironic about having Kerr involved. He never found a role on the Suns and I think that most Suns fans, early in his career, were prepared to conclude that he'd never amount to anything. But then he wound up winning titles with two different organizations as one of the league's best role-playing sharpshooters. So now he comes back to own part of the team that gave up on him prematurely? Kind of weird.

Kerr will continue his duties as a broadcaster. He did say that he loved that job. He will have a say in all personell matters, as will Bryan Colangelo. Folks, these two are the brains of the Phoenix Suns from here on out.

Elind, you sure do take a negative slant on Kerr being drafted by PHX. Kerr was drafted by PHX when NO OTHER team was going to draft him. JC did this as a favor to the UofA and area fans. Kerr even mentioned this at the press conference.

If PHX does not draft Kerr, he may not even get his chance to play 15 years in this league.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Elind, you sure do take a negative slant on Kerr being drafted by PHX. Kerr was drafted by PHX when NO OTHER team was going to draft him. JC did this as a favor to the UofA and area fans.

I didn't mean it was a mistake to draft him. Wasn't he late in the second round? You can't go wrong with a pick there.

I just think it's weird that they drafted him with basically no expectations, he didn't show anything, they gave up on him -- and then, as if by magic, he ended up being really valuable to some excellent teams.

Come to think of it, is there any player the Suns have drafted in their history who has more championship rings than Kerr?

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
The future is bright. Sarver mentioned that he hates to lose. Is extremely competitive and wants to make this city proud of this franchise.

Also mentioned that he knows NOTHING about pro basketball (other than he's a fan of the game). He's going to rely heavily on JC, BC, Kerr and other current management for the next 3-5 years.

The arena has (and will continue to) undergone MAJOR modifications, which I'm sure played a part in the final sale price. A state-of-the-art LED scoreboard is coming.

The franchise is encircled with intelligent basketball brains. Bringing Kerr in was genius. Not only is he a student of the game, he gets to (and has) scout on a nightly basis. He knows this league, the players to stay away from, and players that could help this franchise.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
sly fly said:
He will have a say in all personell matters, as will Bryan Colangelo. Folks, these two are the brains of the Phoenix Suns from here on out.

From the impression I got listening to Kerr, it sounded a lot like he was going to have a say similar to, I dunno, Rex Chapman. Someone who is in the room, can toss ideas out, but wont carry a ton of weight for a while.

He said he will be involved in this summer's plans, and make input and such on players. However, he made it clear he wont be anything like the GM or coach. He also noted, that BC said this summer's plans will be a group effort, like they always are.

Never know about the future though. He said he is under contract for TNT next season. He was also asked about possibly moving back to phoenix, and he said since it has happened so fast they havent really talked about it, but it certainly is a possibility.

Looking on the deal, I like it for now. We got an owner who wants to learn, and has cash to spend. We have a lot of basketball guys in the group, plus Jerry is guaranteed to stay on for at least 3 more years. It looks like it should be a very smooth transition, which I think is best for sure.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Elind, you sure do take a negative slant on Kerr being drafted by PHX. Kerr was drafted by PHX when NO OTHER team was going to draft him. JC did this as a favor to the UofA and area fans.

I didn't mean it was a mistake to draft him. Wasn't he late in the second round? You can't go wrong with a pick there.

I just think it's weird that they drafted him with basically no expectations, he didn't show anything, they gave up on him -- and then, as if by magic, he ended up being really valuable to some excellent teams.

Come to think of it, is there any player the Suns have drafted in their history who has more championship rings than Kerr?

Kerr didn't totally mature as a pro player until he realized what's going to keep him around: spotting up.

I believe he initially was drafted to be a point guard.

Kerr sat on a lot of teams benches before he found his niche with Chicago. Damn, how hard was it for him? Jordan drives... draws the quintuple team... kicks it to Kerr for an open 3.

The formula in Chicago was already formed with John Paxson. Kerr simply inherited it.

I still can't believe any defender would leave Steve Kerr to help. But, they did.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
From the impression I got listening to Kerr, it sounded a lot like he was going to have a say similar to, I dunno, Rex Chapman. Someone who is in the room, can toss ideas out, but wont carry a ton of weight for a while.

He said he will be involved in this summer's plans, and make input and such on players. However, he made it clear he wont be anything like the GM or coach. He also noted, that BC said this summer's plans will be a group effort, like they always are.
QUOTE]

Kerr will have more say than Rex Chapman ever has. Kerr is an investor. A small one at that, but still an investor.

Kerr is Sarver's right hand man.

Sarver is a good friend of Lute Olsen. Olsen called Kerr telling him that his friend was looking to buy an NBA team. He asked Kerr if he could help him out.

The Suns situation came up quickly. Everybody met, liked each other... and the deal got done in a hurry.

It sounds like that the group is still evolving. It's going to be quite some time before we know who ACTUALLY is running this team.

I'm thinking that business is almost as usual, except for the addition of Kerr's knowledge and Sarver's money.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Steve Kerr just said that one of his ideas would maybe be to get a veteran PG wether it is in FA or trade who can put together the team.

What veteran PGs are potentially available? Nash isn't going anywhere, this board doesn't like Sura, and Hudson's health is questionable.
Only one I can realy think of is Payton.... I realy don't want him here.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maybe the NBA will bust out with their old draft fixing ways like they did with the Knicks and Ewing and give Phoenix the #1 pick, which we will trade to Orlando for McGrady :)

We'll just call it equal Karma from the Lew Alcinder coin flip

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would guess that Kerr may be more help in discussing free agents and trades than with the draft.

BTW, it's too bad they couldn't complete this deal in January. Then the Colangelos would not have done that stupid deal with Utah. :shrug:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Oh, right, I forgot about him. I think he could work out well, but it could also be a disaster. Probably too risky.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Oh, right, I forgot about him. I think he could work out well, but it could also be a disaster. Probably too risky.

I've heard he is not very good in the clubhouse. Can anyone confirm that?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I've heard he is not very good in the clubhouse. Can anyone confirm that?

What I have read is that he would basically be an older Marbury. This team is looking to develop the young guys. I would think they would get more of a teacher like Jon Barry, who I think is a free agent this year. Or if you want a championship, bring Kerr in to sit on your bench!!! :D

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jon Barry has been a career backup player. He averaged only 16.4 minutes per game for his entire career. He has not shot terribly well this season, but shot very well in Detroit.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you guys are assuming that the only way to get a veteran point guard is to sign one in free agency. This team has a boatload of tradable commodities that could easily be turned into a veteran point guard.

Anybody else think it's funny that Charles Barkley is part of this ownership group. The reason I think it's funny is that he said there was no way anybody was going to pay $300 million for this organization a couple weeks ago on TNT. Now he is part of a team that is going to pay that much plus another $101 million.

Joe Mama

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Kerr was drafted in the 6th round.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Kerr was drafted in the 6th round.

Well then you definitely can't go wrong with a pick there!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i'm both sad and excited at the same time. jerry's given a lot to the sports fantics in the valley over the years, and though he'll still be involved, his overall influence will be missed as his role dimishes.

however i'm also excited. the group seems like a good one. i was so worried that we'd end up with a shaky ownership group, but this one seems financially stable and understands that some hoops-savvy investors are a good thing. my question now . . . is this sarver dude rich like maloof or cuban-rich or just plain old rich? in other words, do we have an open wallet policy now?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
slinslin said:
The Atlanta Hawks were sold for much less and it included the NHL Atlanta Thrashers as well.
The Suns are a high valued franchice when the last appraisals came out in Forbes

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is terrific news for us. There needed to be some kind of injection of new blood into the franchise--player-wise, our hands are really tied because of availability, and of course, money issues.

But it sounds like this new group will at least give the fans something different.

Just a question, and it might be a reach, but does anybody believe that it is possible that this was done so fast because it eliminates any kind of uncertainty about ownership when it comes time to court Kobe Bryant?

I mean, I know a lot of people on this board don't like him and don't want him, but come on. There has got to be a 90% chance that we're going to go after him (assuming he opts out). Gotta be.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05