Salmons heading to Suns???????

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to figure out how to pronounce this guy's name.

Is it pronounced like the fish? Or SAL-MUNS?

I'm guessing the latter?

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
3 comments:

-who thinks if this happens either LB or JJ will be out by November?

-defensive lineup of salmons, bell, marion, diaw, amare is very good, allows for success when nash is on bench

-obviously the 5 year deal creates issues going into the 07-08 year. knowing sarver, i'm SURE he's thought about this. the only question is that did he offer this knowing he'd go over the lux cap or knowing he was going to get rid of a more expensive contract anyways?

nowagimp

Reaction score
cly2tw said:
Is that another Raja what the managment see in Salmons?

Not really, salmons is a lesser defender and outside shooter, but can drive the ball to the hoop and finish, pass, and handle the ball better than Raja. He will be useful to Dantoni in preventing big mismatches when opponents try post up the suns guards. He also will be useful playing the backcourt with leo when Nash sits.

asudevil83

Reaction score
playstation said:
3 comments:

-who thinks if this happens either LB or JJ will be out by November?

-defensive lineup of salmons, bell, marion, diaw, amare is very good, allows for success when nash is on bench

-obviously the 5 year deal creates issues going into the 07-08 year. knowing sarver, i'm SURE he's thought about this. the only question is that did he offer this knowing he'd go over the lux cap or knowing he was going to get rid of a more expensive contract anyways?

Jones might be gone by the start of the season. its hard to say though.

we seem to be filling out our bench with reasonable contracts, which is great. if we manage to get a decent big man, then KT might be gone. he's a really big glaring problem for the 07-08 season. i would have liked to get PJ, for him. that would have helped out our situation a lot.

mribnik

Reaction score
nowagimp said:
Not really, salmons is a lesser defender and outside shooter, but can drive the ball to the hoop and finish, pass, and handle the ball better than Raja. He will be useful to Dantoni in preventing big mismatches when opponents try post up the suns guards. He also will be useful playing the backcourt with leo when Nash sits.

I think he compared this to the Raja signing because Raja turned out to be worth more than his contract. Perhaps this guy will too. I don't think he was referring to their playing styles.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think we overpayed for him by about 1 million per year. Raja's contract started in the 4 - 4.5 million range and this bench player is starting at 3.6? Salmons was making 1.67 mil last year and we more than doubled that salary. It sounds like he played his best basketball when he actually got playing time (Iverson injured) and didn't play so well coming off the bench. Hopefully this will be a decent signing for us and he can improve his outside shooting.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
It sounds like he played his best basketball when he actually got playing time (Iverson injured) and didn't play so well coming off the bench. Hopefully this will be a decent signing for us and he can improve his outside shooting.

I think his playing better had more to do with Iverson being out than it did with him not coming off the bench. Iverson is a difficult guy to play with.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
5 years 22 million? The Suns must be really high on him, considering they could have thrown just a little bit more in order to secure TT.

I wonder how the "Sarver is cheap" camp will spin this.

Last edited:

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
5 years 22 million? The Suns must be really high on him, considering they could have thrown just a little bit more in order to secure TT.

I think they are high on him, but it also has to do with a bidding war with Toronto with Sarver wanting to shake the cheap label a bit and also not wanting to lose to Colangelo.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Azlen said:
I think they are high on him, but it also has to do with a bidding war with Toronto with Sarver wanting to shake the cheap label a bit and also not wanting to lose to Colangelo.

You're probably right, and I don't really blame him. Sarver gets so much crap from the fans, media, etc. He hasn't really done anything yet to deserve it. I'm waiting for him to do something completely stupid before I jump on the "Sarver is cheap" bandwagon.

mribnik

Reaction score
jbeecham said:
I think we overpayed for him by about 1 million per year. Raja's contract started in the 4 - 4.5 million range and this bench player is starting at 3.6? Salmons was making 1.67 mil last year and we more than doubled that salary. It sounds like he played his best basketball when he actually got playing time (Iverson injured) and didn't play so well coming off the bench. Hopefully this will be a decent signing for us and he can improve his outside shooting.

If we do end up getting him, and at the end of his contract we ended up only overpaying him by 1 million a year, I'll be very happy. Considering how much money it takes these days to lock up the likes of Nene and Foyle, overpaying by 1 million would be awesome. However, if the Suns are that high on this guy, perhaps there's a chance we end up underpaying him over the life of his contract by a lot.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is this official yet? The Az Republic article this a.m. suggested we are still competing with Toronto on Salmons.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
mribnik said:
If we do end up getting him, and at the end of his contract we ended up only overpaying him by 1 million a year, I'll be very happy. Considering how much money it takes these days to lock up the likes of Nene and Foyle, overpaying by 1 million would be awesome. However, if the Suns are that high on this guy, perhaps there's a chance we end up underpaying him over the life of his contract by a lot.

It's a little more than 1 million per year because of the 10% increases.

21.98 over 5 yrs

Versus what he probably should be making:

15.02 over 5 yrs

It's a difference of about 7 million over 5 yrs (an average of 1.4 mil per yr), which obviously doubles if we go over the luxury tax by giving him the higher contract. Still not a huge difference if he performs well.

Last edited:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
It's not a done deal yet, apparently...

It would suck if we lose the bidding war to Toronto. :(

Like that deal with James Jones, Bryan Colangelo is involved. This time, Colangelo is the adversary's general manager. His Toronto Raptors are waiting along with the Suns on Salmons' decision between the two.

It was enough for Salmons to be settled Sunday on the Suns (the money part), but he has wavered since then.

He is torn between Phoenix's contender status and the opportunity in Toronto, where Colangelo is crafting a team that will play in the Suns' image with about $15 million to work with under the salary cap. The Raptors are offering more money and potential for a starting job.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Tank said:
I like the deal. 5/22 maybe too much, but if that it what it took to make sure we got him and not Toronto, then I don't think it is that bad. I think he will be a good player in this system.

What? We arent trying to compete w/ Toronto...unless you just want to spite BC.

Anyway, this trade...is, erm, dull. I hope it works out, but it seems a bit pricey.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Anyway, this trade...is, erm, dull. I hope it works out, but it seems a bit pricey.

That depends how you look at it. The Suns are thinking they need another option at point and a "long" wing. Salmons could fit both roles with one marginal veteran salary. If the Suns have assessed his skills properly, Salmons would be a bargain. Maybe dull, but again, if the Suns are right, it's the kind of functional addition to the roster that makes teams better.

For the record, I'm reserve judgment.

JWF

Veteran
Reaction score
22 over 5 does seem a bit pricey, but from what ive read (good defender, slasher, good rebounder, and good at the point) he sounds like he's worth the risk.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
JWF said:
22 over 5 does seem a bit pricey, but from what ive read (good defender, slasher, good rebounder, and good at the point) he sounds like he's worth the risk.
the same thing was said about raja.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
myrondizzo said:
the same thing was said about raja.

I liked the Raja signing better at the time than this rumor. Plus he was signed to be the 6th man which justified his price. I don't think Salmons will be more than a 8th or 9th man.

Hugh D'Man

Veteran
Reaction score
All this because the Brazilian Blurb can't play D, and can't play pg well enough to handle the full time back up.

Man, they are really in love with him (LB). I don't get it.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Hugh D'Man said:
All this because the Brazilian Blurb can't play D, and can't play pg well enough to handle the full time back up.

Man, they are really in love with him (LB). I don't get it.

Because he's an incredible scoring threat, and still has the potential to become a decent to good defender.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
This would be a great fit. I guess he’s a cheaper LB that plays better D, but can’t score as well. With Diaw getting paid in the near future, there’s no money left for LB, that’s just reality.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
For all the naysayers.

Ahem:

Boris Diaw, 2004-2005:
18.2MPG .422FG% 2.6RPG 2.3APG 4.8PPG

John Salmons, 2005-2006
25.1MPG .420FG% 2.7RPG 2.7APG 7.5PPG

Don't forget that even when Salmons hit the floor (the most in his career) last season, the ball was well dominated between AI and CWebb.

Oh, and:
John Salmons, 2004-2005
17.1MPG .405FG% 2.1RPG 2.0APG 4.1PPG

Not that he's going to be another Boris Diaw, but there's an amazing symmetry in their output, in that they are well-rounded players, with a jumpshot that needs developing.

We want do-it-all players out there guys. What better if he can defend too?