Salmons heading to Suns???????

asudevil83

Reaction score
one glaringly large difference between the two is AGE. we got Diaw when he was 23. Salmons is 27.

between 23 and 28 their is a LOAD of time to see a person improve as they enter their prime, whereas at age 27 a player is generally who they are going to be for the remainder of their career.

not to say that Salmons wont be decent. he could very well average double digits and put up some decent assist and rebounding numbers. but comparing him to Diaw is very foolish.

no one would have ever expected Diaw to blossom like he has, and you cant go ahead and expect that type of outcome from any player that sets foot on the floor in a suns uni.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is this official or not? If not this thread title needs to be changed.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
one glaringly large difference between the two is AGE. we got Diaw when he was 23. Salmons is 27.

between 23 and 28 their is a LOAD of time to see a person improve as they enter their prime, whereas at age 27 a player is generally who they are going to be for the remainder of their career.

not to say that Salmons wont be decent. he could very well average double digits and put up some decent assist and rebounding numbers. but comparing him to Diaw is very foolish.

no one would have ever expected Diaw to blossom like he has, and you cant go ahead and expect that type of outcome from any player that sets foot on the floor in a suns uni.

Yes, but sometimes a change of scenery can work wonders. I think his skill set suits Phx much better than Phi. He’s no Diaw, but he fills a need for this team.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:

Diaw didn't improve any, skills-wise, except maybe his shooting. He just got more minutes, touches, and confidence on a team that got national attention. Look at the ratio of his production the year before he came to the Suns, compared to last season.

Also, Raja had his best season ever at 29. Nash had his at 31 and 32.

Your point? Is there one? Or is it to bitch just because? It's not just you. I am leveling this accusation to those who have forgotten how, in the past two seasons, the Suns, with D'Antoni coaching, have turned absolute rocks into gems. Granted, there's always Skita to fall back on for the more pessimistic among us, but he was brought over on potential alone, not production, or defense.

It's bad enough I have to read all the crap from other teams' fans in the more general boards, about our 'style that can't win', 'no defense', etc. etc. Now, I have to come on here to hear my fellow Suns 'fans' gripe at every chance they get about something that's just all speculation at this point. It's ALL speculation until the season starts.

In the general boards, I usually just read their comments, sit back, smile and say: "You'll see..." Why should I have to do that with fellow Suns 'fans'?

Last edited:

asudevil83

Reaction score
carrrnuttt said:
Diaw didn't improve any, skills-wise, except maybe his shooting. He just got more minutes, touches, and confidence on a team that got national attention. Look at the ratio of his production the year before he came to the Suns, compared to last season.

Also, Raja had his best season ever at 29. Nash had his at 31 and 32.

Your point? Is there one? Or is it to bitch just because? It's not just you. I am leveling this accusation to those who have forgotten how, in the past two seasons, the Suns, with D'Antoni coaching, have turned absolute rocks into gems. Granted, there's always Skita to fall back on for the more pessimistic among us, but he was brought over on potential alone, not production, or defense.

It's bad enough I have to read all the crap from other teams' fans in the more general boards, about our 'style that can't win', 'no defense', etc. etc. Now, I have to come on here to here my fellow 'fans' gripe at every chance they get about something that's just all speculation at this point. It's ALL speculation until the season starts.

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!! where is this coming from?

i'm just going to blow this off as nothing.

nowhere did i gripe and complain about ANYTHING. you put a whole paragraph's worth of words in my mouth. i mearly wanted to point out that Diaw and Salmons dont have much in common. comparing the two is not fair....and expecting anything more out of salmons that him being a decent role player is unfair.

i didnt say Salmons would amount to nothing, and gripe about anything.

cool off man!!!! seriously

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:
HAHAHAHA!!!!!!! where is this coming from?

i'm just going to blow this off as nothing.

nowhere did i gripe and complain about ANYTHING. you put a whole paragraph's worth of words in my mouth. i mearly wanted to point out that Diaw and Salmons dont have much in common. comparing the two is not fair....and expecting anything more out of salmons that him being a decent role player is unfair.

i didnt say Salmons would amount to nothing, and gripe about anything.

cool off man!!!! seriously

Well, if the shoe don't fit you, don't put it on. The sentiment just happened to have come out in reply to a post you made. Doesn't make it any less true about some others though.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
asudevil83 said:

Come on now. Don't blow up our expectations like that Mr. Buzzkill

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
carrrnuttt said:
Well, if the shoe don't fit you, don't put it on. The sentiment just happened to have come out in reply to a post you made. Doesn't make it any less true about some others though.

holy crap dude, in replying to his post you all but put the damn shoe on him!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
aw christ, just get this deal done already. i cannot remember any other rumored suns deal taking this long.

i like the deal if it's the deal being reported. salmons will be a good fit for our squad from a skills and need vantage point. finally we get some legit size in the backcourt. i've been desiring this since we lost jj. our guards just got posted up far too often this year.

c'mon john, go for the ring!

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
aw christ, just get this deal done already. i cannot remember any other rumored suns deal taking this long.

i like the deal if it's the deal being reported. salmons will be a good fit for our squad from a skills and need vantage point. finally we get some legit size in the backcourt. i've been desiring this since we lost jj. our guards just got posted up far too often this year.

c'mon john, go for the ring!

There's rumor that there may be a 6 team trade involving 16 players in all, AND that the Suns may be involved in it with it bringing Salmons here.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
jlove said:
There's rumor that there may be a 6 team trade involving 16 players in all, AND that the Suns may be involved in it with it bringing Salmons here.

6 team 16 player trade?! Holy crap

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
jlove said:
They're talking about it over at RealGM trade forum.

can you sum it up? it sounds ridiculous. is it realistic or is it every teams' fans trying to get in on a trade?

asudevil83

Reaction score
jlove said:

that's why i'm thinking this is taking quite some time.

if would be nice to get something more out of the deal too, maybe in giving up Jones. a PG would be nice.

it really wouldnt be necessary for us to be part of a 6 team deal, unless we are in a little deeper than just Salmons. we are only talking about one player being moved here, and a draft pick. that really shouldnt hinge on 4 other teams ironing out some crazy deal.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
The ONLY thing I hate about multi-team, multi-player deals, is that if ANY part of it doesn't go through (like player not passing physical, etc.) The whole thing blows up. One of the things I love about it, is you can get extra pieces from multiple teams that you may not have been able to get via normal 2 team trades.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
I'm thinking it has something to do with Bonzi Wells, Kenyon Martin, Iverson, etc. moving during a multiple team/player trade.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
can you sum it up? it sounds ridiculous. is it realistic or is it every teams' fans trying to get in on a trade?

The rumor is coming from the Kings play by play guy and his scource is Bonzi Wells agent. Says that the main components of the trade involve Philly and Boston with Wells being S&T somewhere.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
As of yesterday, I was told by Boston's front office (they volunteered it, I didn't ask) that the Iverson talks were practically dead....

Not sure what else could be going on, but the guy I spoke with said they werent looking to get AI that much anymore...

I did hear that Ainge is really trying to get a trade done

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
6 team 16 player trade?! Holy crap

That can't be true. It's hard enough to do a 3-team trade, let alone a 4-team trade, but 6 teams is just ridiculous. I don't think in the history of sports has there been a trade like that, nowhere near it.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
That can't be true. It's hard enough to do a 3-team trade, let alone a 4-team trade, but 6 teams is just ridiculous. I don't think in the history of sports has there been a trade like that, nowhere near it.

IIRC Last year there was a 5 team trade so I wouldn't say its completely out of the realm of possibility. Not likely though

According to someone from the RealGM board it was just him misinterpreting what the agent said.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
IIRC Last year there was a 5 team trade so I wouldn't say its completely out of the realm of possibility. Not likely though

Do you remember what it was?

I remember back in 2003 a big 4-team trade involving Keith Van Horn and Glenn Robinson, but, and I may just be drawing a blank, I don't remember a 5-team trade last summer.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
I think we overpayed for him by about 1 million per year. Raja's contract started in the 4 - 4.5 million range and this bench player is starting at 3.6? Salmons was making 1.67 mil last year and we more than doubled that salary. It sounds like he played his best basketball when he actually got playing time (Iverson injured) and didn't play so well coming off the bench. Hopefully this will be a decent signing for us and he can improve his outside shooting.
EVERYONE is overpaid. Your being alittle over critical...

The Suns needed help for Nash and this guys seems to be a good change of pace which makes more sence then trying to find a guy to do what Nash does. Nobody can do that.

If the guy can defend AND take it to the hole and finish he will be a nice addition simply because that it somthing that flat out wins game, creates free throws, & gets other teams in foul trouble.