Salmons heading to Suns???????

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
jandaman said:
Salmon looks like a valuable contributor for the Suns... the difference between Tim and John, is that with Amare and Kurt back, D'Antoni will struggle to fit him enough minutes..

I think, Salmon is a keeper, since his size allows the suns to match up well with a few teams, including the Clippers, with Cassel and Livingston. I think he will thrive, as a point, behind Nash and relieving Marion, Bell as well at the 2 and 3 spots... I think the Suns know what Salmon brings in...

Tim Thomas, is a high reward player, but high risk too.. but I think it comes down to payin a guy the mle to play 10 minutes a game.. especially if the position he will be best suited at is already filled with an All-Star big man on the come back.
100% Agree... Tim might be a better player. But for this teams needs Salmons might workout alot better.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BEERZ said:
EVERYONE is overpaid. Your being alittle over critical...

The Suns needed help for Nash and this guys seems to be a good change of pace which makes more sence then trying to find a guy to do what Nash does. Nobody can do that.

If the guy can defend AND take it to the hole and finish he will be a nice addition simply because that it somthing that flat out wins game, creates free throws, & gets other teams in foul trouble.

Agreed. At this point, the Suns are more in need of backup support at PG than anything else. I think Barbosa CAN become a decent PG and can become a better than decent defender, but right now that is far from a sure thing. Someone like Salmons can play along side Barbosa and ensure there is always other ball handlers when Leandro playes.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
This would be a great fit. I guess he’s a cheaper LB that plays better D, but can’t score as well. With Diaw getting paid in the near future, there’s no money left for LB, that’s just reality.
yup, Diaw will get extended and LB walks or gets traded next offseason...

The good news is that Guards are easy to replace. Bigs like Diaw are not. It will be a good financial move. Although I didnt want to see him OR JJ leave, I understand the reasoning behind both moves.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
The big part I like about this deal is...

Salmons seems to be a pretty talented guy with some limitations. He brings alot of things this team needs(Size at guard, D, Driving to the hoop), and he isnt gunna be expected to do alot. He is gunna have his role and will beable to maximize his talents to fill that role.

3.6 mill for a good role player who seems to fill alot of needs...? I think its a no brainer.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=69529 :|

The Suns want to know, and their patience is wearing thin. League sources say the Suns have given Philadelphia’s 6-foot-7 guard/forward until this morning to decide. A sign-and-trade deal with the 76ers would send a second-round pick and Phoenix’s $3.6 million trade exception to Philadelphia, while the Suns would assume a five-year, $22 million deal they can now afford thanks to an unexpected bump in the league tax threshold to $65.4 million this season. He would make $3.7 million this season.

Toronto is believed to be offering Salmons five years at about $1 million more a season, and a chance to replace the departed Mike James — who bolted to

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=69529

Does John Salmons want to make more money and enjoy a guarantee of more playing time in an unsettled situation in Toronto?

Or does he fancy being one of the final puzzle pieces to a strong championship contender in Phoenix — as a jack-of-all-trades who would fit the team like a glove?

The Suns want to know, and their patience is wearing thin. League sources say the Suns have given Philadelphia’s 6-foot-7 guard/forward until this morning to decide. A sign-and-trade deal with the 76ers would send a second-round pick and Phoenix’s $3.6 million trade exception to Philadelphia, while the Suns would assume a five-year, $22 million deal they can now afford thanks to an unexpected bump in the league tax threshold to $65.4 million this season. He would make $3.7 million this season.

Toronto is believed to be offering Salmons five years at about $1 million more a season, and a chance to replace the departed Mike James — who bolted to Minnesota Tuesday as a free agent — as the Raptors’ starting two-guard.

The Suns see the hard-working Salmons as a player who can fill in at three positions — shooting guard, small forward and point guard — and give them another defender in the backcourt. He’s not a great shooter but handles the ball well and averaged 7.5 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists in 25 minutes a game as a Sixer, making 24 starts.

If Salmons comes to Arizona, the Suns would still have money left to pursue depth up front — 6-9 free agent Aaron Williams, formerly with New Orleans, is among the possibilities — add a few other minimum salaries, and still avoid the dollar-for-dollar tax.

The chase for Salmons isn’t the first time the Suns and Raptors — with general manager Bryan Colangelo now looking to reshape the Toronto organization in Phoenix’s image — have run into each other this offseason. The Suns had at least a passing interest in Spanish forward Jorge Garbajosa, who signed with the Raptors. Both teams are among those kicking tires on ex-Sun Tony Delk and another ex-Sun, Eddie House, who could well wind up with Toronto if he doesn’t decided to return to Phoenix.

The teams appeared to be working off similar draft lists last month, with Suns/Raptors trade talks going all the way up to and including Toronto’s No. 1 overall draft pick, which Colangelo used on his personal favorite, Italian seven-footer Andrea Bargnani.

The Suns did not make the two-year, $2.4 million deal with veteran shooter Eric Piatkowski official on Wednesday, the first day deals could be completed, likely because the management team was still in Las Vegas, where Phoenix completes summer league play on Friday.

1. If the Suns need to give a deadline, that's a bad, bad sign. Have fun in Toronto, Mr. Salmons.

2. Aaron Williams? Is that supposed to be a joke?

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/basketball/15026649.htm

John Salmons was named the Most Outstanding Player in the Boston summer league in 2003. He played well every summer. He was loose, free, confident. But in four seasons with the 76ers, that translated to the regular season only sporadically.

There is a theory that some players, in order to reach their potential, need to be traded at least once. At 26, the 6-6 Salmons seems to fit that mold. And a trade, actually a sign-and-trade, appears to be on the horizon.

Salmons has been deciding between a deal that would send him to the Phoenix Suns and one that would land him with the Toronto Raptors. In either case, the Sixers would sign him and acquire a second-round draft choice and a trade exception. Various reports indicate that the onetime Plymouth-Whitemarsh High star, who grew up in the Mount Airy section of the city, could end up with at least $22 million; the dollar figures and length of term remained fluid as of yesterday.

"We're waiting on Johnny to make a decision," Sixers president and general manager Billy King said. "He's trying to decide which team he's going to go to."

King was able to comment yesterday, as the NBA's July 1-11 moratorium on free-agent signings and trades ended. The Sixers quickly signed restricted free agent Shavlik Randolph to a 2-year contract believed to be worth a little more than $ 2 million; later in the day, they finalized a deal with restricted free agent Willlie Green that could be worth about $17 million over 5 years, roughly similar to a contract offer that was withdrawn last summer when Green underwent knee surgery.

Randolph, undrafted as an early entry in 2005, averaged 2.3 points and 2.3 rebounds in 8.5 minutes over 57 games, making one start. Green came back to appear in 10 games, averaging seven points in 15.3 minutes, including two starts.

With Phoenix, Salmons would slide into a $3.6 million trade exception the Suns acquired in the deal that sent Joe Johnson to the Atlanta Hawks; by rule, a team is permitted to add $100,000 to an exception. With Toronto, Sal-mons could receive as much as $4 million. Since the capped Sixers are not taking back a player in either of those cases, they would create a trade exception, about $1.8 million from the Suns or $2 million from the Raptors.

A source in Phoenix said the Suns believed as late as Sunday that Salmons was coming to them, only to learn that he still was deciding.

Here is part of Salmons' decision-making process: With the Suns, he clearly would have an opportunity to win more games and would be tried as a backup to MVP point guard Steve Nash, at the same time also being used as a backup at shooting guard and small forward. With Toronto, he might be able to challenge for a starting berth on an improving young team.

"I think Johnny is someone that will have a good career in this league," King said. "There were times he played well. Maybe it's a change of scenery [that is necessary]; I'm not sure.

"Johnny did a lot of good things for us. For some reason, sometimes things don't work out. I think we may be looking back and people will be saying, 'Gee, they had that guy.' But I think, for Johnny, a change of scenery is probably best. I think whichever team [he chooses] will be a great situation for him."

Salmons averaged a career-best 7.5 points last season, appearing in all 82 games and starting 24; he also contributed 2.7 assists and 2.7 rebounds in 25.1 minutes.

"He's a playmaker, but he can shoot," the Suns' James Jones, who played three seasons with Salmons at the University of Miami, told the Arizona Republic. "In his situation the last couple years, they needed him to be a playmaker. If you ask him to score 30, he can. He's deceptive with his shot.

"He's a real playmaker. At [6-6], he's a unique guy. Boris [Diaw, of the Suns] is similar to him. You don't see many guys who are [that size] who can handle the ball, pass the ball and always make the right plays."

Since the Suns are offering $3.7m to start, we're talking about a difference of $300k/yr. Pretty much tells you all you need to know about BC's involvement here. :rolleyes:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
MastersofCombat said:
Well its not just more money, it appears a chance to start also...

True with Raptors he gets more money and a chance to start but the team would be considered unstable. There will be plenty of roster turnover and he may be traded later (whether good or bad)

In Phoenix, he's a backup role player with a much better team that has a chance of winning it all.

Like I said, he may just be honestly undecided. The difference in money isn't huge but the decision is between (1) going for a ring or (2) starting and obviously getting more minutes on a non-competitive (well at least for the immediate future) team.

mribnik

Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
True with Raptors he gets more money and a chance to start but the team would be considered unstable. There will be plenty of roster turnover and he may be traded later (whether good or bad)

In Phoenix, he's a backup role player with a much better team that has a chance of winning it all.

Like I said, he may just be honestly undecided. The difference in money isn't huge but the decision is between (1) going for a ring or (2) starting and obviously getting more minutes on a non-competitive (well at least for the immediate future) team.

I tend to think, that even as a starter on the Raptors, his value would still be higher at the end of the contract if he signed with Phoenix instead. Of course, I'm a Suns homer. Hopefully he realizes the benefits of being on a winning squad with a selfless bunch of players.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Decide already... Sheesh...

Salmons' decision expected

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 13, 2006 12:00 AM
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
John Salmons seemed as if his mind was made up to join the Suns at the start of the week.

Four days later, Salmons is expected to make his decision between the Suns and the Toronto Raptors today.

The Suns are offering a five-year contract worth about $22 million. Toronto is making a more lucrative five-year pitch. Both teams would acquire Salmons in a sign-and-trade deal with Philadelphia, but Sixers President Billy King is letting Salmons pick the team.
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

The Sixers likely would get a second-round draft pick in either case but assumedly a better one from Toronto. With Phoenix, Philadelphia would get a trade exception worth half of the $3.6 million one the Suns would use to make the deal. Phoenix can start Salmons' contract at $3.7 million because it is a sign-and-trade deal. The Raptors' offer is substantially more.

Toronto has money, playing time and proximity to his home in its favor, but the Suns are a title contender and have emphasized to Salmons that he would have an important role with the team. Salmons, at 6 feet 6, would back up Steve Nash and both wing positions.

"I think we may be looking back, and people will be writing, 'Gee, they had that guy,' " King told the Philadelphia Daily News. "But I think for Johnny a change of scenery is probably best. I think whichever team (he chooses) will be a great situation for him."

If Salmons joins Phoenix, the Suns might not be limited to minimum-salary signings to fill the final two roster spots. With the luxury tax threshold set surprisingly high at $65.4 million, Phoenix could still use the rest of its mid-level exception (about $1.8 million) on one player, add a minimum-salary player and be under the threshold that invokes a dollar-for-dollar penalty.
[/FONT]

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
LoL, Say goodbye to Salmons cause he would have to be ******** not to take the Raps offer.

Their offering a starting spot and more money.

We're offering him a chance to possibly get around 10-20mins per game.And having his minutes probably reduce bigtime during playoffs.

For a 27year old that had to fight his way onto the court with Philly, i highly doubt he turns down the chance to start...WHILE MAKING MORE MONEY!

Time to talk with Orlando or Indiana and see if they want to send us a point guard.

Or take a risk and trade for Eddie Griffin using the trade exception and draft picks.

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
1. If the Suns need to give a deadline, that's a bad, bad sign.

Why is that a bad sign? The Suns have a history of giving deadlines a lot shorter than what Salmons has been given.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I realize he may be offered more in Toronto, but doesn't that also mean he would pay more in taxes? If that is true (can someone varify), than really it should come down to his deciding whether he wants to start (not a lock) on a team that won't make the playoffs or come off the bench on a team that has a chance for a trophy.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bad vibes are all over this. I don't think it is going to come together for the Suns. I hope I'm wrong though.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
KloD said:
I realize he may be offered more in Toronto, but doesn't that also mean he would pay more in taxes? If that is true (can someone varify), than really it should come down to his deciding whether he wants to start (not a lock) on a team that won't make the playoffs or come off the bench on a team that has a chance for a trophy.

Its not just having a chance at getting a trophy either. Players get bonus money for each game in the playoffs. I mean I dont have the exact numbers but its not unconceivable to me that a good chunk of that lost million could be made up for by a deep advance into the playoffs.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Absolute Zero said:
Bad vibes are all over this. I don't think it is going to come together for the Suns. I hope I'm wrong though.

I have the same feeling.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just found this on google.....

NBA Playoff Money Payments Pool

NBA Playoffs Salary Pool | May 11, 2006
The 2006 NBA Playoff salaries payment pool is $10 million. Teams get money for winning the championship, finishing at certain playoff seeds, and for other accompliments. These are the NBA playoffs pool breakdowns:

Best Record in NBA: $288,421
Best Record in Conference, $252,369 each: $504,737
Second Best Record in Conference, $202,842 each: $405,684
Third Best Record in Conference, $151,421 each: $302,842
Fourth Best Record in Conference, $119,000 each: $238,000
Fifth Best record in Conference, $99,158 each: $198,316
Sixth Best Record in Conference, $67,632 each: $135,263

Teams Participating in First Round, $149,243 each: $2,387,895
Teams Participating in Conference Semifinals, $177,579 each: $1,420,632
Teams Participating in Conference Finals, $293,447 each: $1,173,789

Losing Team, NBA Finals: $1,173,474
Winning Team, NBA Finals: $1,770,947
Total Playoff Pool: $10,000,000

NBA PLAYOFFS SALARY POOL HISTORY

1982 $1,500,000
1983 $1,500,000
1984 $1,750,000
1985 $1,750,000
1986 $1,750,000
1987 $1,750,000
1988 $1,750,000
1989 $2,400,000
1990 $2,400,000
1991 $3,200,000
1992 $4,000,000
1993 $5,000,000
1994 $6,000,000
1995 $7,000,000
1996 $7,000,000
1997 $7,000,000
1998 $7,000,000
1999 $7,500,000
2000 $7,500,000
2001 $7,500,000
2002 $8,000,000
2003 $8,750,000
2004 $8,875,000
2005 $9,500,000
2006 $10,000,000

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NastyOne said:
LoL, Say goodbye to Salmons cause he would have to be ******** not to take the Raps offer.

Their offering a starting spot and more money.

We're offering him a chance to possibly get around 10-20mins per game.And having his minutes probably reduce bigtime during playoffs.

For a 27year old that had to fight his way onto the court with Philly, i highly doubt he turns down the chance to start...WHILE MAKING MORE MONEY!

Time to talk with Orlando or Indiana and see if they want to send us a point guard.

Or take a risk and trade for Eddie Griffin using the trade exception and draft picks.

Since trading for players with questionable antics off of the court, is taboo for the Suns, you can pretty much count this one out.

Orlando or Indiana is a good idea though.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Losing Team, NBA Finals: $1,173,474
Winning Team, NBA Finals: $1,770,947

Another interesting fact. Sometimes it pays to lose!