Salmons heading to Suns???????

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
house would be prolly half the price of salmons and by the time the playoffs come, nash will have to play 40 min anyways.

the key is just getting nash some rest during the reg. season this year and hopefully with amare back, that can happen. 22 mil for this guy just seems kinda desperate.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I was shocked at 5/$22m. Also, I don't see the point to trading KT if the Suns aren't getting any salary relief at all in 2007/8.

As for offering a better pick, it wouldn't help--Philly is completely out of the negotiations now. We've reached the point where they can't even threaten to match Toronto's offer with a straight face.

sunsfn

Reaction score
It is way past the time, and I keep checking the wire and this is the latest.........
Updated: July 13, 2006, 4:02 PM ET

Clippers sign F Tim Thomas

SportsTicker
National Basketball Association News Wire

LOS ANGELES - As expected, the Los Angeles Clippers have replaced Vladimir Radmanovic with Tim Thomas.

The Clippers on Thursday announced that they had signed the veteran forward Thomas, who spent this past season with the Phoenix Suns.

Terms were not disclosed, but it had been reported that it was a four-year deal worth $24 million.

"Tim is a multi-talented player who can play several positions for us," Clippers vice president of basketball operations Elgin Baylor said. "He is very versatile offensively and is able to stretch the defense with his perimeter shooting as well as having a good post-up game."

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I heard on the radio that the decision is up to Salmons. Toronto is offering more money and a starting spot. Phoenix is offering less money and a limited role. It doesn't look too good. Let's hope he likes warm weather. He did go to Miami. (fingers crossed) It will really suck if we miss out yet again.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It was mentioned by the Suns in an interview a while ago that if House came back to the Suns, he would be payed along the same salary that he opted out of, which I belive was around $900,000. He might get a little more if the Suns get desperate, but I don't think anyone has offered him more than the veteran minimum.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
krispydude said:
can't believe we have a 9 page thread on salmons. he hasn't proven anything in the league yet. i'd almost rather just see house come back. maybe he has something to prove now after last years dismal playoffs

No kidding.. but it's like that across most suns boards.. John Salmons!!!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BillsCarnage said:
No kidding.. but it's like that across most suns boards.. John Salmons!!!

So far, there's not much else the Suns have given the fans to talk about. No TT, no draft picks, just Piatkowski (sp).

I think the Suns fans were lead to believe they saved money on the draft picks to sign TT. Since the Suns didn't sign TT the fans are hoping the money the Suns saved is going to be reinvested in players.

As for me, I do not want to hear any more spin, just a good signing or two.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Perhaps Salmons called up DA and told him that he would go with the Raps unless the Suns would kick in a little more. And perhaps DA really wants him and Sarver wants anybody at this point so that they had to reopen negotiations. Something is going on to make this drag on so long.

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
I could talk myself into either outcome at this point.

Happy that we managed to land that up-and-comer Salmons, excited to see him progress in a Suns uniform.

OR

Happy that we avoided paying that no-name Salmons all that money, screw him, let BC have him.

Whatever.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
ArizonaSportsFan said:
Perhaps Salmons called up DA and told him that he would go with the Raps unless the Suns would kick in a little more.
There's nothing more to kick in. They're already offering the biggest contract they can for a S&T. (That's why this long delay was such a bad sign--the other parties have flexibility to maneuver, and the Suns don't.)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
There's nothing more to kick in. They're already offering the biggest contract they can for a S&T. (That's why this long delay was such a bad sign--the other parties have flexibility to maneuver, and the Suns don't.)

I'm thinking Sarver may not what to be perceived as losing to BC. So who knows what is going on behind closed doors. As no announcement has been made as yet, I'm thinking the cards have been reshuffled... perhaps into a bigger trade.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Sixers' Salmons selects Toronto as trade destination
http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/15032025.htm

John Salmons has made his decision, and it’s Toronto.

Salmons, a 4-year veteran with the 76ers, has agreed to a sign-and-trade that will send him to the Raptors. He chose Toronto over an opportunity to join the Phoenix Suns.

Salmons, 26, has agreed to the terms of a 5-year contract worth $23 million.

The Sixers will receive a second-round draft choice and a $2 million trade exception.

“John had two great choices and chose Toronto based on a variety of factors,” Salmons’ agent Joel Bell told the Daily News this afternoon. “He wanted to think through all the possibilities before he reached a decision.”

Bell also represents Sixers’ Bobby Jones and Shavlik Randolph.

The Raptors apparently need to make at least one other roster move before they can officially sign Salmons. That might not happen for about 7 days.

Salmons averaged a career-best 7.5 points last season, appearing in all 82 games and starting 24; he also contributed 2.7 assists and 2.7 rebounds in 25.1 minutes.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Salmons, 26, has agreed to the terms of a 5-year contract worth $23 million.

I'm confused.

I thought the Suns offer was 5 years $22 Mil.

How can a 5 year deal worth apparently $1M more per year only come to $23M?

asudevil83

Reaction score
this offseason is turning out to be quite amazing.

i think its finally setting in to both suns fans and suns management that the players arent willing to take less money to come here. we arent the prime destination we thought we were.

we all had this idea that players would come here for small contracts, when in fact the market is just way overpriced for the suns to compete.

Nashfan

Rookie
Reaction score
Boy, Salmons is such an idiot! He signs with Toronto for one million more! I am not too upset though. I would rather have Marcus Banks, a true point guard. Don't know if we can afford him though. Does anyone know?

Blows my mind how these guy's can turn down a chance to win a championship and go to a losing team. Oh well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Muggum said:
I could talk myself into either outcome at this point.

Happy that we managed to land that up-and-comer Salmons, excited to see him progress in a Suns uniform.

OR

Happy that we avoided paying that no-name Salmons all that money, screw him, let BC have him.

Whatever.

I think you nailed the feelings of many of this Board's posters.

Now where are the Suns going to spend their money if anywhere besides roster fillers?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
huh?

they only offered 1 mil more TOTAL than we did?!?!?!

I get the feeling the deal the Suns offered wasn't actually 5 years 22mil. Even if it was it's apparent that Salmons prefered playing time to being a bench player.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05