Salmons heading to Suns???????

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
pokerface said:
I just found this on google.....

NBA Playoff Money Payments Pool

NBA Playoffs Salary Pool | May 11, 2006
The 2006 NBA Playoff salaries payment pool is $10 million. Teams get money for winning the championship, finishing at certain playoff seeds, and for other accompliments. These are the NBA playoffs pool breakdowns:

Best Record in NBA: $288,421
Best Record in Conference, $252,369 each: $504,737
Second Best Record in Conference, $202,842 each: $405,684
Third Best Record in Conference, $151,421 each: $302,842
Fourth Best Record in Conference, $119,000 each: $238,000
Fifth Best record in Conference, $99,158 each: $198,316
Sixth Best Record in Conference, $67,632 each: $135,263

Teams Participating in First Round, $149,243 each: $2,387,895
Teams Participating in Conference Semifinals, $177,579 each: $1,420,632
Teams Participating in Conference Finals, $293,447 each: $1,173,789

Losing Team, NBA Finals: $1,173,474
Winning Team, NBA Finals: $1,770,947
Total Playoff Pool: $10,000,000

NBA PLAYOFFS SALARY POOL HISTORY

1982 $1,500,000
1983 $1,500,000
1984 $1,750,000
1985 $1,750,000
1986 $1,750,000
1987 $1,750,000
1988 $1,750,000
1989 $2,400,000
1990 $2,400,000
1991 $3,200,000
1992 $4,000,000
1993 $5,000,000
1994 $6,000,000
1995 $7,000,000
1996 $7,000,000
1997 $7,000,000
1998 $7,000,000
1999 $7,500,000
2000 $7,500,000
2001 $7,500,000
2002 $8,000,000
2003 $8,750,000
2004 $8,875,000
2005 $9,500,000
2006 $10,000,000

I wonder how that money is broken up. It is probably different for each team, but there are a lot of people to pay with that money.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Salmons for 5 million a year?

What is going on here? I don't even like him for what the Suns are offering him.

Last edited:

asudevil83

Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

What is going on here. I don't even like him for what the Suns are offering him.

yeah, he's getting way more than his worth already....but with BC taking on another $1mil per year, he has once again proven that he's willing to overspend for talent.

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
id take the money the raps are offering him personally. this will be his last chance to earn that much from a contract. 5 million is alot

nowagimp

Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

What is going on here? I don't even like him for what the Suns are offering him.

John Salmons for about the price of TT. I'm not sure how good that sounds. I have seen him play some when AI was injured, and he looked pretty good. He probably fills a more urgent need for the suns, unless Amare does not come back at 90-95% . Amare's health is definitely the key.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a thought. Maybe Phoenix and Philly are back to reconsidering a package trade that includes more players. If Phoenix really wants Salmons they may go this direction and sweeten it with a first round pick (but not the Atlanta pick). Doesn't Philly have full control of this trade if they so desire to exercise their influence as Salmons is not a FA as I understand it.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
BC is going on radio in Toronto right now. I doubt the timing is a coincidence.

What are the odds that BC and Salmons got together a couple of days ago, and have been stringing the Suns along ever since?

Edit--LMAO. BC "tied up in a meeting, will be on at 4pm ET". :rolleyes:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
F-Dog said:

What are the odds that BC and Salmons got together a couple of days ago, and have been stringing the Suns along ever since?

keep us posted

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F-Dog said:

Well, at least the Suns should already know the outcome. I hope the Suns have another strategy as it does not sound good.

However, just a thought, sometimes the best trades are the ones that are never made.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Hell, the 'news' should come from Phoenix before it comes from Toronto. We don't care what the final contract looks like, just whether the Suns are out of the bidding.

I guess they're too busy calling other guys.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=69533

Sources confirmed the possible deal involving Philadelphia guard John Salmons was originally part of a bigger trade where the teams would swap more players.

Phoenix was believed to be interested in re-acquiring Steven Hunter, who left the Suns and signed a four-year, $13.5 million free agent deal with the Sixers last summer. If Salmons ends up in Toronto, the Suns are still in contact with Eddie House and could sign both House and another backcourt player, since the luxury tax threshold was about $2.4 million higher than the team was estimating.

Hard to believe the Suns might pay significant $$$ to bring back Eddie House. :mad:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Hell, the 'news' should come from Phoenix before it comes from Toronto. We don't care what the final contract looks like, just whether the Suns are out of the bidding.

Hard to believe the Suns might pay significant $$$ to bring back Eddie House. :mad:

I've got no problem with Eddie House. He had a pretty good regular season, and wasn't really given a chance during the playoffs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F-Dog said:

I don't mind bringing Eddie House back at a reasonable contract. At least he can be a role player. However, backup PG would still be a question mark.

I just want the Suns to add the BPA at some position (not House) in either the frontcout or the backcourt.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So I'm checking online here and checking online there ...then it hit me, what the hell? this offseason sucks! I'm wasting my time worrying whether or not we get John Salmons??? That is just sad... That's as good as it's getting this summer where the Suns are concerned I guess.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I have no problem with the Suns refusing to sign Tim Thomas and giving the money to Eddie House instead.

/been in a coma since January

BC was on (getting this second-hand from RealGM). They're "looking to add Salmons" but no word of any progress in negotiations. Maybe they're engaged in a bidding war with the Knicks now. :shrug:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Transcript, from RealGM:

“Salmons to Toronto?”

We simply acknowledge that there has been a lot of interest expressed in Salmons. He played really well with AI out, distributed the ball well, we think he’s a terrific combo guard and we’ve been talking about adding a combo guard so we’ll have reinforcements there. Losing MJ leads to that conclusion—we had been planning this team without him because we knew we’d not find the mutual benefical area. If we had the same objective, the money was reasonable we’d have no issues bringing him back, we just felt it was the wrong situation. Now we’re looking at trades/FA, there are two teams, PHX/TOR we hope to come out on the winning end of that. He’s weighing the more minutes/role vs Title. We think he’s a solid player, we’re also targeting some other players but we don’t want to make a rash move if we don’t get John or a targeted player via trade.

“Is there any chance you can acquire Suns players from the roster?”

I can’t talk about other teams roster players, it’s a violation of the rules we play by here. It is unusual not for me to be able to talk about them/to them since I’m tied to them, they’re happy over the success they’ve had, they’ll get something done with Barbosa, they’ll probably do something along the lines of Diaw, I think they’ll keep that group together and rightfully so.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F-Dog said:

Toronto already had a press conference planned for today to talk about Anthony Parker and Chris Bosh. A radio appearance could be part of that.

Last edited:

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
can't believe we have a 9 page thread on salmons. he hasn't proven anything in the league yet. i'd almost rather just see house come back. maybe he has something to prove now after last years dismal playoffs

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Oh yeah, I have no problem with the Suns refusing to sign Tim Thomas and giving the money to Eddie House instead.

/been in a coma since January

BC was on (getting this second-hand from RealGM). They're "looking to add Salmons" but no word of any progress in negotiations. Maybe they're engaged in a bidding war with the Knicks now. :shrug:

I would not invest TT money in Eddie House (although I like Eddie and would like to see him come back).

However, if the Suns are not focused on other players, if I'm Sarver, I might consider playing little hardball with BC using a first round draft pick as leverage with Philly combined with a larger trade.

I think BC may be overplaying his hand a bit over paying Salmons and it just might come back to bite him. I really wish D'Antoni would make a strong move elsewhere and leave BC just hanging with Salmons.

I just do not see Salmons as a make or break summer.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
krispydude said:
can't believe we have a 9 page thread on salmons. he hasn't proven anything in the league yet. i'd almost rather just see house come back. maybe he has something to prove now after last years dismal playoffs

I'm not wholly sold on Salmons, but I can't believe anyone would take House over him, especially after watching the Clippers make House totally irrelevant in the playoffs.