Sam Bradford Released

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That money's already his so he'd have to take what a team was willing to give, wouldn't he? He's cleared waivers so the Cardinals involvement is over isn't it?

No. It's my understanding that the League is involved in these cases where compensation covers the existing league year. It would probably be the prorated cost of the number of games he'd be on the roster of his new team based on $15m.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
No. It's my understanding that the League is involved in these cases where compensation covers the existing league year. It would probably be the prorated cost of the number of games he'd be on the roster of his new team based on $15m.
I guess if one was going to sign with a playoff bound team it would be worth maybe giving it a shot. Otherwise, you'd just be going to a team in desperation mode with no time to prepare or acclimate.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sam doesn’t have any cartilage in his left knee anymore. He can’t step into his throws. He should walk away from this game with the millions he has already made.

Last edited:

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Sam doesn’t have any cartilage in his left knee anymore. He can’t step into his throws. He shouls walk away from this game with the millions he has already made.
It's hard not to think that it isn't causing him problems. Since his player of the week performance against the Saints the first week of 2017 where he didn't seem to sustain any injuries, he's been unable to stay on the field and when he is on the field, he doesn't look too much like himself(who's performance was polarizing in the first place). On it's own, him not wanting to finish out this season regardless of the situation doesn't indicate much IMO. But, his last two stints as a Viking and Cardinal sure seem like he's battling physical limitations.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
This, just because they cut him doesn't mean he still not getting his game checks. As a vet his salary was guaranteed after game one.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
This, just because they cut him doesn't mean he still not getting his game checks. As a vet his salary was guaranteed after game one.
Right, but if he signed with another team would he forfeit what he's owed from the Cardinals? Would he just get what the Cardinals signed him to or would the new team pay more on top of that? Or would the new team become responsible for whatever was left?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Right, but if he signed with another team would he forfeit what he's owed from the Cardinals? Would he just get what the Cardinals signed him to or would the new team pay more on top of that? Or would the new team become responsible for whatever was left?

I believe that whatever he signs for the cards would pay that amount less. If that is the case he might as well rest up get healthy and make another run next year with a new team. Now I would be surprised that SB did not receive a call from Washington, when McCoy went down. He has to be a better option than butt fumble, doesn't he???

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I believe that whatever he signs for the cards would pay that amount less. If that is the case he might as well rest up get healthy and make another run next year with a new team. Now I would be surprised that SB did not receive a call from Washington, when McCoy went down. He has to be a better option than butt fumble, doesn't he???
I would think talent-wise he is "better" but I don't know Bradford's actual health or familiarity with Gruden and his system. And I'm not as negative about Sanchez as many others seem to be. Granted, he needs to have the turnovers beaten out of him somehow but I think even now there's still something there to work with. He's still one of the best ball handlers I've ever seen. Which is ironic considering his most infamous moment but he's a clear borderline starter and for a backup, he's still pretty good. Bradford has more physical attributes and skill but he's established himself as more of a ball protector than producer. Which is basically a waste of all that talent and skill but now he's got a knee that apparently is so bad he can't play on it.