Saturday Thoughts: Training Camp Surprises

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CardinalChris
I loved Hayes and saw him as a late first rounder. Like many MLB, they slid on draft day. I would rather see Hayes play in the middle, but the kid is a stud.

That's the problem I don't think Hayes is fast enough to play outside. If you look at the current defensive roster it's pretty apparent we're trying to build for speed, Wilson, Jackson, Starks, Thompson, Bryant, Pace, these are all guys who run well for their position. Fisher fits that mold a lot more than any other LB we have including Hayes.

I think Hayes can certainly play in this league but I'm expecting big things from Fisher if he can stay healthy he was a terrific college player. I was surprised we took him at the time but I didn't then realize the extent to which injury had limited Frederickson, in hindsight it was a very smart pick.

I'm with Krang I think Fisher has a lot of Brooks in him, remember out of college brooks was too small and fragile too.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
That's the problem I don't think Hayes is fast enough to play outside. If you look at the current defensive roster it's pretty apparent we're trying to build for speed, Wilson, Jackson, Starks, Thompson, Bryant, Pace, these are all guys who run well for their position. Fisher fits that mold a lot more than any other LB we have including Hayes.

I think Hayes can certainly play in this league but I'm expecting big things from Fisher if he can stay healthy he was a terrific college player. I was surprised we took him at the time but I didn't then realize the extent to which injury had limited Frederickson, in hindsight it was a very smart pick.

I'm with Krang I think Fisher has a lot of Brooks in him, remember out of college brooks was too small and fragile too.

Fisher has, by far, the most potential of any LB on this team. He is the fastest LB, the strongest LB, and the most productive in college. The only thing, imo, that will hold him back is injuries.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
The only thing, imo, that will hold him back is injuries.

Will? or Can?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by arthurracoon
Our DL could be amazing if they all come together, or they could be horrible

Amazing? I think we can be much better but we still have one really talented NFL DT(Bryant who hasn't proven a thing) and a bunch of role players. I really hope this is the year for Bell, off his rookie year I expected a much better player than we saw last year. JOhnson has a chance at DE but he could well be a bust as Skorp said too, the fear on him is he developed so early he may have simply peaked, he may not be able to get stronger like he needs to?

Everything I read about Pace I like but there's a lot of things that have to come together this year for the DL to be good. I expect much improvement but based on how bad we have been, that's not saying a whole lot.

What impresses me about this defense is the speed, there are not going to be a lot of teams around with much more team speed than our base defense has.
THat's what I really like about Fisher.

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
Wow! I don't remember the last time I saw this much debate over who was staying and who was going. Usually we know by June who the cuts are going to be because it's so obvious. I just hope it's because we have so much depth and not because we're so mediocre.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by so far away
Wow! I don't remember the last time I saw this much debate over who was staying and who was going. Usually we know by June who the cuts are going to be because it's so obvious. I just hope it's because we have so much depth and not because we're so mediocre.

You stole my thoughts. I'm biased but I think the best thing Grraves has done so far is strengthen the overall talent base by adding better backups than we've had before

That should pay dividends later in the season when people are banged up.

Question: Are you getting huge amounts of rain in Georgia? Every time I see a satellite weather photo, Georgia and both Carolinas seem to be getting storms.

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skkorpion
You stole my thoughts. I'm biased but I think the best thing Grraves has done so far is strengthen the overall talent base by adding better backups than we've had before

That should pay dividends later in the season when people are banged up.

Question: Are you getting huge amounts of rain in Georgia? Every time I see a satellite weather photo, Georgia and both Carolinas seem to be getting storms.

This is my first year here and after living in Mesa for 7 years it feels like the rain forest! It's very depressing, everyone keeps telling me that it never rains like this here but it's very hard to believe them. Throw in the fact that most everyone is missing teeth and sounds like a hillbilly and it makes it real hard to take them seriously.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by Walter Mitchell
SLB Gerald Hayes (James Darling)

MLB Ronald McKinnon (Tony Gilbert)

WLB Raynoch Thompson (Levar Fisher)

Shouldn't Hayes be backing up McKinnon? With Fisher and Thompson on the outside?

Wildman©

former FOOTBALL Coach
Reaction score
My opinion...

(A healthy) Fisher will back up no one this season... Levar has yet to play in a regular season game at 100%...

Yea, I know that some of you will say that "that is the problem... Fisher is too fragile"...

Let me set the record straight... he hurt his knee during training camp last year... he had his knee scoped the week before the bye but at least two small cartilage fragments were overlooked. This is what caused him to have swelling/pain problems the rest of the season until he was placed on injured reserve. The knee was finally"fixed" in January.. he had "minor" swelling with no pain the first time he went full speed during mini-camp (this was expected)... no problems since...

Remember: Injury can sideline anyone at any time... from the all-pro veteren to the most promising rookie... Don't write off anyone before he has the opportunity to show you what he can do...

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
Originally posted by CardNots
Too funny...

Everyone laughs when I say that but nobody realizes how true it is, FOR GOD'S SAKE THEY'RE STILL FIGHTING THE CIVIL WAR HERE! WHEN THEY HERE ME TALK, THEY ACTUALLY REFER TO ME AS A YANKEE!

If I hear dualing banjos just once I'm out of here!

Wildman©

former FOOTBALL Coach
Reaction score
so far away:
You should visit coastal North Carolina where English is still spoken instead of American. We would not refer to you as a yankee... you would be called a dit dot...
:lol:

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wildman©
so far away:
You should visit coastal North Carolina where English is still spoken instead of American. We would not refer to you as a yankee... you would be called a dit dot...
:lol:

That doesn't sound like a compliment?

Wildman©

former FOOTBALL Coach
Reaction score
sfa:
A yankee is someone (perceived to be) from the New England states area... a dit dot is anyone who is a non-local...

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wildman©
sfa:
A yankee is someone (perceived to be) from the New England states area... a dit dot is anyone who is a non-local...

Well I'll be..........a dit-dot.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife, from Alabama, says the term is damnyankee (one word), and the North-South war was the "war of Northern aggression."

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
My wife, from Alabama, says the term is damnyankee (one word), and the North-South war was the "war of Northern aggression."

She's not your wife AND sister by chance is she? Hey you know why they do it ************ in Alabama right? So they can both watch wrestling! Ok I'll quit, hope I didn't offend anyone. :wave:

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
I'm by no means a history buff but I'm pretty sure that the south lost the civil war but when you talk to the people down here they talk as though it just kind of ended, nobody really won or lost.:confused:

AZ1766

Veteran
Reaction score

Where is she from Skkorp..... I am from Alabama as well.

AZ1766

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by so far away
She's not your wife AND sister by chance is she? Hey you know why they do it ************ in Alabama right? So they can both watch wrestling! Ok I'll quit, hope I didn't offend anyone. :wave:

Well you did, if you don't like the south, leave and quit bitching about it....... the south has some of the most friendly and helpful people in the country.

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZ1766
Well you did, if you don't like the south, leave and quit bitching about it....... the south has some of the most friendly and helpful people in the country.

My apologies go out to anyone from or located in the "south". I'm pretty sure it's my right to live here AND bitch about it AND as far as the people being friendly...well don't get me started. I'm originally from N.D. feel free to tell all the jokes you want, I think they're funny, especially if they involve sheep. Please AZ1766, if I offend you that much, just put me on ignore. I will refrain from posting anymore unless it involves only the Cardinals. :rolleyes:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the south has some of the most friendly and helpful people in the country.
That too.

My favorite nicknamed assigned to yankees by rebs is "Blue Belly."

As in every culture, there's good and bad.

Love the hospitality. Love the old ladies who refill your iced tea glass in rib joints. Love home-made southern fried chicken.

Hate the narrow-mindedness of some folks. Hate polyester suits. Hate chicken fried steak. TV goes off the air too early at night. Not a real big fan of Texas.