Schefter (and others) on Von Miller

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Via Twitter, of course:

To those asking where Texans A+M LB Von Miller will go in the NFL draft, the early signs are, Top 5 pick.

And then something that he retweeted:

Todd McShay on Von Miller: "He's been one of the, if not the, best player (in Mobile) this week."

And an article on his senior bowl performance thus far:

Lee’s use of the term “shredded” referenced Stacey Dales’ description of Miller during Monday’s Senior Bowl weigh-in. “He is absolutely shredded,” said the NFL Network’s Senior Bowl sideline reporter. Dales also called Miller a “class act.”

Miller has proceeded to impress on the practice field in Mobile.

“What we’ve seen here is that he can drop into coverage,” said ESPN’s Todd McShay, indicating that Miller’s return for his senior season to polish his game paid off. “He’s an absolute playmaker on every passing down.”

Asked for a scouting report on Miller, NFL Network’s Mike Mayock was effusive in his praise of the 6-foot-3, 237-pound linebacker’s pass rush ability:

“Two words,” said Mayock. “Defies. Gravity. Bends parallel to the ground. This guy comes off the edge and it’s scary how quick he gets to the quarterback. In my notes from the season, I had the word ‘wow’ written (about Miller) more than any other player.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/26/texas-ams-von-miller-creates-senior-bowl-stir/

Everything I've read on him is that he is extremely fast, but relies heavily on that speed to get to the QB and speed alone typically won't beat tackles in the NFL (unless you are lined up against Levi Brown of course). He's also a bit small weight wise, not sure if he is a guy I would want us to take at #5. Definitely sounds like the type of guy that is going to get a lot of combine hype when he dominates in the 40/agility drills to go on top of his current Senior Bowl hype. His stock will definitely climb. The fact that he can drop back into coverage is big, but I still have some worries from a pass rushing standpoint.

What do you guys think about VM at #5? I would personally rather take Quinn, even if he did miss this year. You don't forget how to play football in a year and I am sure he has been working out on his own to prepare for the draft. I'm sick of undersized linebackers, I want a more prototypical 260-270lb pass rushing animal.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm sick of undersized linebackers, I want a more prototypical 260-270lb pass rushing animal.
You already said it, :thumbup: I haven't seen much of Miller but I would like a big mean Ray Lewis type if available.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Like him or not, Von Miller can do it all. Has great speed and agility and can go sideline to sideline. You can't teach speed and he has it better than any other linebacker in the first round. If we take him I would be happy.

One more thing, yea he's only 237 lbs now but how many linebackers that make it to the NFL don't bulk up. Don't ya think John Lott will put about 10 or 15 lbs on him over the next two years.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wasn't Elvis Dumervil (spelling?) about this size coming out of college (Louisville?)? I know he was on the smallish size, and he's a great pass rusher.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Yeah, no thanks. I don't want a one-trick pony at OLB.
If that one trick is the ability to get to the QB, I'll take it. Nothing helps a defense like pressure on the QB. I think the big advantage he has over Quinn and some of the other OLB propsects is that he already play standing up and can drop into coverage. With guys like Quinn we're looking at least a year down the road for any meaningful contribution, if then. Of course most rookies don't play early under Whiz anyway but Miller will less of a transition.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I mentioned Miller before the BCS Title game. Was almost thrown out of the thread.

Still though. I am scared of taking him this high. 8 to 12 is where I think he will end up.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love Miller. However, if we drafted him and played him with Schofield and Washington, we would have the smallest linebacking core of all time.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love Miller. However, if we drafted him and played him with Schofield and Washington, we would have the smallest linebacking core of all time.

schofield and washington are 6'2'' miller is almost 6'3''..if they put 10 lb for the start of the season we are ok..miller and schofield can be around 250 and washington 240..is not so difficult to imagine

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Miller has been consistently ranked in the top ten for most of the season.

He has played in a major conference against top competition, has been extremely productive, and has ideal triangle numbers. Oh by the way -- he actually plays in the defense the Cardinals run. He has to be a consideration at #5, particularly if the team doesn't go Qb.

For those concerned about his weight-- this is a guy who is a true OLB, not a converted DE. Clay Matthews, as an example, is also 6-3 and weighed 240 lbs at the combine. Two years later, he is up around 250.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
Clay Matthews also displayed an array of moves, as well as vastly superior strength.

Miller is faster off the snap, but how that will translate against not only pro Tackles, but also Pro QB's who step up to avoid the rush is yet to be seen. I'm dubious, and extremely wary of him as a top 5 pick.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Miller has been consistently ranked in the top ten for most of the season.

He has played in a major conference against top competition, has been extremely productive, and has ideal triangle numbers. Oh by the way -- he actually plays in the defense the Cardinals run. He has to be a consideration at #5, particularly if the team doesn't go Qb.

For those concerned about his weight-- this is a guy who is a true OLB, not a converted DE. Clay Matthews, as an example, is also 6-3 and weighed 240 lbs at the combine. Two years later, he is up around 250.

I am anticipating Millers workout at the combine. I have been thinking about the comparison between him and Matthews as well.

It will be interesting to see how they compare.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I like Miller & have seen most of his games here in Texas, but I too am concerned with his size & ability to be just a straight up the field pass rusher. The guy I'm really liking as the elite edge rusher in our 3-4 is Houston. Most great OLB's who rush the passer are much thicker in the lower body which Houston has & I'm not sure Miller will ever have. IMO Houstons 1st step is better than Millers or Quinn's. We'll see...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm reading a lot of the same knocks on Miller that I read when Suggs was in the draft. Being an A&M fan, I have seen Miller play a lot. And, my assessment of him is almost identical to the opinion I had of Suggs.

Von Miller is going to average about 10 sacks a season in the NFL and make multiple Pro Bowls. Whoever drafts him is going to be very happy.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
I'm reading a lot of the same knocks on Miller that I read when Suggs was in the draft. Being an A&M fan, I have seen Miller play a lot. And, my assessment of him is almost identical to the opinion I had of Suggs.

Von Miller is going to average about 10 sacks a season in the NFL and make multiple Pro Bowls. Whoever drafts him is going to be very happy.

I think this is a good comparison. Suggs is an excellent speed rusher, Like Miller will be. Suggs is bigger though and doesn't get pushed off his angles by quicker Tackles like Miller, will/does.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If Peterson isn't there, I want Miller to be the pick. Something about him just seems special to me. I can't put my finger on it specifically, but watching him play passes the eyeball test.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I like Miller & have seen most of his games here in Texas, but I too am concerned with his size & ability to be just a straight up the field pass rusher. The guy I'm really liking as the elite edge rusher in our 3-4 is Houston. Most great OLB's who rush the passer are much thicker in the lower body which Houston has & I'm not sure Miller will ever have. IMO Houstons 1st step is better than Millers or Quinn's. We'll see...
I've been looking for it and can't find it, but I read one of the reasons Miller is getting better reviews is that he had a much thicker lower half of his body which was allowing to him anchor more than expected.

Buckybird

Reaction score
I've been looking for it and can't find it, but I read one of the reasons Miller is getting better reviews is that he had a much thicker lower half of his body which was allowing to him anchor more than expected.

Cbus, comparing the 2 is like comparing Lamar Woodley to DWash bodywise IMO

Attachments

• OLB.jpg
    OLB.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 124
  • OLB1.jpg
    OLB1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 122

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
It's not like Miller is standing on a couple toothpicks there.
He has much thicker ankles than Beanie Wells :D.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score

too extreme a comparison

D Wash was playing at 220 in college. Miller is at 240

finally -- keep in mind when comparing Miller to other prospects the fact that Miller was a true OLB rather than a quasi DE in college. That means that 235 lbs was big enough.

Houston (for example) played a hybrid DE position -- 250+ was probably barely big enough for that spot. Had Miller been asked to play a DE type spot, he likely would be carrying more weight right now.

Buckybird

Reaction score
too extreme a comparison

D Wash was playing at 220 in college. Miller is at 240

finally -- keep in mind when comparing Miller to other prospects the fact that Miller was a true OLB rather than a quasi DE in college. That means that 235 lbs was big enough.

Houston (for example) played a hybrid DE position -- 250+ was probably barely big enough for that spot. Had Miller been asked to play a DE type spot, he likely would be carrying more weight right now.

Yeah, it might be slightly extreme but close enough. Miller's body & muscle doesn't look 240 when you look at him on TV. BTW that pic actually that makes him look thicker to me.