Season thread. The Diamondbacks start their run to the playoffs tonight

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Spivey hits a double and then is thrown out at third. If Junior starts hitting it will be a big plus for the Diamondbacks.

Hammock just hit a home run and it is now 5-1.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why does Brely bring in Myers? All he does is load the bases.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mantei comes in and gets Castro on 4 pitches. Bottom of the 8th and it's 5-1.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diamondbacks win 6-1! 3.5 out of the wild card and if the Giants lose only 7.5 out of first. You never know.

MVP goes to Webb. Props goes to Cintron, Spivey, Shea and Mantei.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Barry just hit a home run to beat the Braves 5-4 in the 10th. Bonds will go down as one of the top-3 players of all-time. He is just an unbelievable.

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
I was only able to catch a bit of the game on my car radio (Cincinnati broadcast), and heard Spivey's HR call; it was even better to hear that the Phillies & Marlins both lost!!

Smolder

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90
Barry just hit a home run to beat the Braves 5-4 in the 10th. Bonds will go down as one of the top-3 players of all-time. He is just an unbelievable.

no, i beg to differ. bonds stinks, as far as i'm concerned. he's a gnat. in the same division as us, too. i don't care how good he is, he sucks. dbacks all the way! :thumbup:

whatchamacallit

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You may not like Barry Bonds but there is no denying that he makes the SF Giants a much better team.

The Diamondbacks don't have enough offense. They have one real bat and a bunch of mediocre hitters. They should have done much more then bring in Mondesi at the trade deadline.

I don't think they will make the playoffs this year or any until they bring in at least 2 new bats (plus the ones they will lose this off season).

Smolder

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by whatchamacallit
You may not like Barry Bonds but there is no denying that he makes the SF Giants a much better team.

The Diamondbacks don't have enough offense. They have one real bat and a bunch of mediocre hitters. They should have done much more then bring in Mondesi at the trade deadline.

I don't think they will make the playoffs this year or any until they bring in at least 2 new bats (plus the ones they will lose this off season).

check out azcentral. there's a new article talking about the dback bats finally coming alive. there's no reason to think it's not true. our lineup is simply not as stupid as it looks.

attribute it to injury and slow recovery i guess, but hey, that's baseball. junior's hitting the living stuffing outta the ball, and it's pretty much igniting everyone.

btw, it's worth considering that this is essentially the same lineup that won the world series. essentially. and most of the changes have been replacements with similar players. sanders=mondesi, Hillenbrand definitely better than the Marine, etc.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Game about to start and there is some good news. The Phillies are losing to the Brewers 5-0 in the top of the 4th.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
come on Unit - let's see some quality innings and pick up another game on the Phillies and hopefully the Marlins.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Randy gets them out in order. Let's go offense!

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Down 2-0 the Diamondbacks need to rally. Also, not only are the Phillies losing the Marlins are down 4-1.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to think Randy should shut it down for the season. The guy just doesn't seem to have it this year. Come on Backs - it's the Reds for pete's sake. Score some runs and make up another game.

Smolder

Veteran
Reaction score
randy's doing fine. it's the offense that's awful. for goodness sakes, we're being one-hit by aaron harang, he of the mighty 4.40 era

why is spivey, our hottest hitter, batting 8th?

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The offense has to get it going. 2-0 after five. Why is Counsell playing? He is hitting 218 since his return and is already 0-2. Kata should be playing instead. Come on CC, make me look like a fool and get it going.

Smolder

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90
The offense has to get it going. 2-0 after five. Why is Counsell playing? He is hitting 218 since his return and is already 0-2. Kata should be playing instead. Come on CC, make me look like a fool and get it going.

i agree, counce has got to get it going. he's been real disappointing thus far. however, i agree with keeping him in there. the best way to get him out of this funk is to keep playing him.

Smolder

Veteran
Reaction score
bingo! great at bat by counsell.

...only to be wasted by cintron. now that was disgusting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mondesi gets a leadoff hit and then Gonzo swings at the first pitch. Shea then ends the inning by hitting into a double play. Only 2 innings left, this would be a wasted opportunity to gain another game on the WC.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well Counsell swings at ball 4 to lead off the 9th. Argggh! Cintron gets a double with one out. Rally!!!

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A big fat ZERO runs tonight. That was a pathetic game. Knowing that both the Phillies and Marlins lost, this team played flat, no emotion. Mondesi and Hillenbrand both are called out on strike three.

Play Kata tomorrow at third, Cintron at short and Spivey at second.

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
Nice way to end the game, boys - two no-swinging Ks!! Do the D'Backs have any coaches or cameras watching the balls & strikes and how/where they are being called? If ANYONE would have noticed that the idiot behind the plate was using the Maddox strike zone tonight (4-6 inches off the outside edge to RH batters), maybe Mondesi and/or Shea would have lifted the bat off their shoulders in the 9th!! Better yet, why not pinch-hit for Shea in the 9th with Kata??

Another wasted opportunity to gain some ground....

Smolder

Veteran
Reaction score
much as i hate to say it, it might as well be the end of the road. if we can't hit against the reds, we won't be able to hit against anyone. geez, this is so sad. i had such high hopes before the season started.