Season thread. The Diamondbacks start their run to the playoffs tonight

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just got home and was able to listen to the last few innings on the radio. Any word if Curt's knee is okay? Here is some interesting information. The Diamondbacks start a 13-game homestand on Tuesday and the Phillies start a 13-game roadtrip. This upcoming homestand is probably the most important of the year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Originally posted by green machine
If the players' heads aren't in the game I blame the players. These are major league veterans. I'm sure Brenly preaches fundamentals, but if the players don't do it what is Brenly to do?
All season long, we've seen our D'backs either weak in fundamentals . . . or careless. Especially from players who should know better! More than any other, Gonzo is the player the young guys look up to.

Is this what multi-million dollar salaries have brought about? Or I wonder if Bob Brenly happens to be too much of a "country club" type of manager?

During the 30 years I was in Management within industry, I was known more as a motivator than a disciplinarian. But it's sure obvious that the D'backs are lacking discipline.

It shows in their performances. It shows in their record!

Brenly can preach all he wants but if the players don't listen that is their problem.
No, green machine, it's HIS problem! Until the media guide shows his title as Preacher, rather than Manager.

Saying the words isn't enough. A well-rounded Manager gets results!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to Saturday night's game - it was ugly. Q had no discipline at the plate, hacking right after watching the pitcher walk Dessens to score a run.
Bautista's center-field play was brutal, as was Oropesa pitching.

I lay this one on Brenly - he had a awful lineup (no Finley, Gonzo, Kata), left Q in for too long, and left EO out to dry when it was obvious from his first pitch that he didn't have it that day.

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
Could it be too late for BB to instill ANY discipline on this club? Brenly has let the players run the show for so long that anything resembling discipline or punishment might result in hostility; it might be easy for BB to put Kata or Hammock in the doghouse, but everyone else gets a free pass. I'm probably repeating myself, but even though we are only 4 games out of the WC spot, something just doesn't seem right with this club, and a lot of it seemed to coincide with the return of the vets after our 12-game winning streak. I made it to the Wed/Thu games in Cincinnati last week, and the best inning we played was when we actually worked on scoring runs (8th inning Wed.) instead of waiting for the 5-run homer!! Gonzo did hit one out in that inning, but the first batters worked at getting on base/moving runners and were successful - I'm tired of watching Shea, Spivey & Bautista swing for the fence every AB!

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At work and I am really busy. I guess it was not their day. Big 13-game homestand. We will know pretty soon if the season is over or not.

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
Originally posted by WizardOfAz
What about Gonzo not sliding??

According to Gonzo (from AZ Central), the Braves' catcher was so far up the line that Luis felt if he tried to slide, he would end up short of home plate, and that stepping over the tag was a better option. I didn't see the play myself, but a couple others have said that sliding was a better idea....if that is the case, then BB needs to light a fire in his butt as well (yeah, like that would really happen)!!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Dbacks are going to win this game, they will need to score 5 against Smoltz - not likely.

Actually - they aren't even bringing in Smoltz - not a save situation...:(

13 game homestand is our season.

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
From John Gambadoro:

D-Backs wouldn't go far in playoffs

There are fewer than 40 games remaining for the Diamondbacks, and although they are on the outside looking in for a wild card spot since there are two teams ahead of them, it is quite a testament to them that they are even in this position.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cheapseats/gambo/0818rant.html

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Originally posted by IndyDback
Could it be too late for BB to instill ANY discipline on this club? Brenly has let the players run the show for so long that anything resembling discipline or punishment might result in hostility; it might be easy for BB to put Kata or Hammock in the doghouse, but everyone else gets a free pass. I'm probably repeating myself, but even though we are only 4 games out of the WC spot, something just doesn't seem right with this club, and a lot of it seemed to coincide with the return of the vets after our 12-game winning streak.

I've wondered how the players feel about Curt trying to leave. It seems like they went in the toilet just after he came back. Its almost like they tried extra hard while he was out to prove something.

Also it seems like managements philosophy at this point is: Lets see how many wins we can get without adding any payroll. Everybody in the world questioned the Dbacks offence before the season and they 've done pretty much nothing to add any real hitters to the lineup. As much as I hated Curt trying to orchestrate a trade I can understand being frustrated with a club that isn't able or willing to really do what it takes to make a real run.

I keep hearing that the Dbacks would be scary if they make the post season but they're still a long shot to even get there. Every week for the last 3 months everybody's talked about making a run. Now we're down to 38 games and still waiting. They talk about how stranger things have happened but what they don't talk about is how the other 95% of the time floundering inconsistent teams fade down the stretch like you'd expect.

Oh well sorry for the 3 wins forward and 4 losses back rant.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Originally posted by IndyDback
The best inning we played was when we actually worked on scoring runs (8th inning Wed.) instead of waiting for the 5-run homer!! ... I'm tired of watching Shea, Spivey & Bautista swing for the fence every AB!
The bad thing about a Cinderella year is that it locks the Manager into what got him there.

But it doesn't build continued success!

American League philosophies don't prevail in the National League, but Bob Brenly is locked into them (for some reason).

And our early World Championship only reinforced it!

It's ironic that all of the most recent AL World Champions have been managed by former NL Catchers. But Torre and Scoscia recognize that the NL style can prevail in the AL.

Brenly doesn't seem to recognize that vice versa doesn't keep you at the top!

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The series has begun. Good news so far as the Phillies are losing 3-0 to the Brewers.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Reds don't score in the first. The Phillies are down 3-2 and the Marlins are down 4-0 to the Rockies. It's scoreboard watching the rest of the way.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gotta get back in it in the next two weeks - if not overtake the damn top spot. Bring it Backs - this is your time to shine.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The offense needs to come alive. Webb already has 5 K's thru three.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Webb now has 7 K's thru four. The Giants are down to Atlanta 1-0. Where is everyone? The game is only on radio.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2-0 Diamondbacks as Mondesi brings in Cintron with a sacrifice fly.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brewers get a 3-run home run in the bottom of the 8th as the Brewers are beating the Phillies 6-3.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Phillies lose 6-4 and the Marlins are losing 7-1.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice -get back within 2 games by the end of this weekend and we're good. The Phillies and Marlins are going to beat each other up for another three series I believe by the time the season is over - hopefully just leaving us standing.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Glad to see you cheese. Where is everyone? They can all jump on the wagon because there is a lot of room.