Semi OT: Fan assault trial.

TXCardinalsFan

Feeling no pain
Reaction score
I think that the rules were bull$h*t!! There should have been some jail time, not community service. It just seems that anything that is a sports related offense seems to end with a lack of jail time. What is up with this?? Very poor message being sent out that assaulting a defenseless old man is okay if it happens in a sports arena.

:mad:

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lars the Red
Did anyone hear about the judges comments regarding the father/son tandem who ran out on the field in Chicago and attacked the first base coach? Unreal.

What did the judge say?

gnomepete

Registered
Reaction score
I read that the judge said that this was so unusual, that he didn't worry about the punishment being a deterrent or not.

If the man was in active addiction (and it looks as if he was) and this gets him to stay clean and turn his life around (and 3 1/2 years probation should give a fair assessment of that IMO), don't you think he deserves a second chance? I DIDN'T say THIRD chance, only second. If he screws up, send him to jail!

All the atheletes get this kind of a chance. What happened to the former Redskins WR (forget his name - 1st rounder, caught the winning TD in OT against the Cards) that assaulted Stephen Davis? Nothing.

Pete

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-ligue07.html

'Saying baseball players encourage violence at ballparks, a judge decided Wednesday not to send William Ligue Jr. to jail for storming onto the field at Sox Park with his 16-year-old son last year and attacking Kansas City first-base coach Tom Gamboa.'

Boxers encourage violence in the ring, so feel free to jump in and start swinging. NASCAR drivers encourage aggressive driving, so feel free to drive like and idiot after watching a race. The list can go on indefinitely of situations like this. The judge needs removal.

"What is the expected conduct of fans who sit for two or three hours drinking unlimited quantities of beer? How did Comiskey Park come to be known as the world's largest outdoor saloon?''

What's expected? Maybe to act responsibly or accept the consiquenses, is that an option? This guy just proves that all you need to become a lawyer is the ability to memorize.

Prosecutors asked Holt to order the father barred from Major League Baseball parks during his probation but Holt refused.

See, he needs to go to the park and drink for hours as part of his rehab. Of course, that may mean he acts irresponsibly, but what would we expect?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gnomepete
What happened to the former Redskins WR (forget his name - 1st rounder, caught the winning TD in OT against the Cards) that assaulted Stephen Davis? Nothing.

Pete

Michael Westbrook was his name.

gnomepete

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lars the Red
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-ligue07.html

'Saying baseball players encourage violence at ballparks, a judge decided Wednesday not to send William Ligue Jr. to jail for storming onto the field at Sox Park with his 16-year-old son last year and attacking Kansas City first-base coach Tom Gamboa.'

Boxers encourage violence in the ring, so feel free to jump in and start swinging. NASCAR drivers encourage aggressive driving, so feel free to drive like and idiot after watching a race. The list can go on indefinitely of situations like this. The judge needs removal.

"What is the expected conduct of fans who sit for two or three hours drinking unlimited quantities of beer? How did Comiskey Park come to be known as the world's largest outdoor saloon?''

What's expected? Maybe to act responsibly or accept the consiquenses, is that an option? This guy just proves that all you need to become a lawyer is the ability to memorize.

Prosecutors asked Holt to order the father barred from Major League Baseball parks during his probation but Holt refused.

See, he needs to go to the park and drink for hours as part of his rehab. Of course, that may mean he acts irresponsibly, but what would we expect?

I didn't read that kind of detail, Lars. Some of it's sheer bull. Getting messed up is the person's decision. However, addiction DOES push people to make BAD decisions. Blaming baseball? Typical lawyer BS.

If his probation is like I think it would be, if he tests positive for ANYTHING (including booze) he will go straight to jail. The line about drinking at the ballpark being part of his rehabs was uncalled for.

If you know anyone in AA or NA with 5 or more years, talk to them about what turned them around, what they were like before, etc. It might be an eye-opener for you.

Pete

OP
OP
L

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
Originally posted by gnomepete
I didn't read that kind of detail, Lars. Some of it's sheer bull. Getting messed up is the person's decision. However, addiction DOES push people to make BAD decisions. Blaming baseball? Typical lawyer BS.

If his probation is like I think it would be, if he tests positive for ANYTHING (including booze) he will go straight to jail. The line about drinking at the ballpark being part of his rehabs was uncalled for.

If you know anyone in AA or NA with 5 or more years, talk to them about what turned them around, what they were like before, etc. It might be an eye-opener for you.

Pete
I've had a monkey on my back at one time in my life, Pete. When I realized that I was having a problem, I made sure that I avoided the situations that assisted in my problem. It surprises me that the judge didn't take that into account.

gnomepete

Registered
Reaction score
Lars,

I've known a few monkeys myself. I just think that there's more to a baseball game than drinking. And that not everyone can get their act together unassisted. That seems to be a reason to keep him away from the ballpark . . . hmmm. I dunno. I - D O - know that I don't like the mess that calls itself our "justice" system.

Pete