Senior Bowl

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I cant wait to see the prospects today. Is there any sleepers in this game? Anybody in particular you guys are itching to look at? How about small school gems?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is there any sleepers in this game?
The fact that they've telecast practices regularly over ESPN and NFL Network sort of undermines the concept of so-called "sleepers." (i.e. "the eye in the sky doesn't lie.")

But the guys I plan to zero in on include:

Nick Mangold C, OSU
Mark Setterstrom C, Minn.
Deuce Lutui G USC
Max Jean-Gilles G
Charles Spencer G
Marcus McNeal T Auburn
Eric Winston T
Jonathon Scott T Texas
Domanick Byrd TE
Derrick Wimbley DE, FSU
Gabe Watson NT, Mich
Broderick Bunkley DT, FSU
Makeloa, DT Tennessee
Babatunde Oshinowa NT Stanford
Chad Greenway LB
Brad Iwuh, LB Iowa
DeMico Ryans LB, Ala
Kelly Jennings CB Miami
Tye Hill CB Clemson
Daniel Bullocks S

Last edited:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What time does this start today?

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Dominic Byrd the USC tight end is going to be a stud. Derrick Hagan looked awful, he dropped two passes and the announcers were talking about how many passes he dropped all week. I wouldn't be surprised if he drops to a third round pick. Cutler has a cannon, but doesn't make good decisions. He looked overwhelwmed by the level of competition, especially with that interception.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Some quick notes...

Cutler looks very high strung and has not made great decisions.

Greenway is a athlete and will help out any team he plays on.

Hagan looks awful, can't catch anything. Quite a few drops by receivers.

OT-McNeil impressed me after he got beat, the ball was batted back to the line of scrimage on a line and he caught the ball and moved upfield.

D Williams looks great and in the interview they had with him, sounds very intelligent. If he wasn't so similar to JJ I would definitely want him to be our pick. Would be happy with him on our team.

Ferguson might be worth moving up a couple spots if he falls a bit. Should be a great LT.

Byrd and Klop both look great. Byrd would make a great pick in the second or third round for us. He plays like a professional tight end.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Chopper0080 said:

Dude is faster then I thought. He also looked a lot bigger then the other LB's that were on the field, with a frame to easily take on another 5-10 lbs without losing speed. He also takes on blockers very well. I was very impressed with him.

Also Max Giles looked slow as did Watson although he did look active and never stopped.

Winston out of Miami was very very average.

Cutler is high strung and needs to slow down.

Byrd runs great routes and has deceptive speed for 260 lber.

Hagan is may drop like a rock, after dropping2 easy passes and having a less then stellar week of practices, he has a lot of work to do from now till the draft to turn it around.

D. Williams has really good balance and vision. If he only had more weight to him.

That is all that really jumped out at me in the first half.

Last edited:

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The only real player I wanted to see was Mike Bell. I don't really get into the Senior Bowls and stuff, just wanted to see how Bell did after an up and down career.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
D. Williams has really good balance and vision. If he only had more weight to him.

Really what is the big deal with his weight?

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
He measured in at about 1 inch shorter and 6 or 7lbs lighter than his listed height and weight. Considering his size and injury history it may throw up a red flag or two.

spanky1

Reaction score
Chopper0080 said:
Some quick notes...

Cutler looks very high strung and has not made great decisions.

Hagan looks awful, can't catch anything. Quite a few drops by receivers.

OT-McNeil impressed me after he got beat, the ball was batted back to the line of scrimage on a line and he caught the ball and moved upfield.

D Williams looks great and in the interview they had with him, sounds very intelligent. If he wasn't so similar to JJ I would definitely want him to be our pick. Would be happy with him on our team.

Ferguson might be worth moving up a couple spots if he falls a bit. Should be a great LT.

Byrd and Klop both look great. Byrd would make a great pick in the second or third round for us. He plays like a professional tight end.

"Ferguson might be worth moving up a couple spots if he falls a bit".....is that like "throw me downstairs a quarter"?

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Cutler has a cannon, but doesn't make good decisions. He looked overwhelwmed by the level of competition, especially with that interception.

He has an incredible arm, but he's about as refined as Josh McCown was coming out of college. Thankfully maybe this performance will chill some of the insane hype about Cutler. He's a pretty decent looking prospect but this game supports an argument that it's fairly ridiculous to start talking about him being drafted before Young and Leinart.

I almost feel bad for the guy, if he gets drafted really high and some team throws him into the fire right away he is going to be completely overwhelmed. If he goes to Detroit, as many "experts" are forecasting....well, I can't think of a worse situation for any young QB. Dealing with the disaster Matt Millen created isn't something Cutler should have to endure.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Chopper0080 said:

I tend to think that, especially if he "works out" well, Byrd is looking like a low 1st. It might be optimistic to hope we can get him lower. No question he is a very good player though. All these USC guys are just terrific. I don't know how they ever lost a game with all this talent.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ed Burmila said:
I tend to think that, especially if he "works out" well, Byrd is looking like a low 1st. It might be optimistic to hope we can get him lower. No question he is a very good player though. All these USC guys are just terrific. I don't know how they ever lost a game with all this talent.

There are a lot of really good looking TEs in this draft. Even if Byrd goes in the first, and I think he will, there will be some good options for us in Rd 2 or 3 if that's what we want to do.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
At 207 lbs, He is about 10 lbs smaller then JJ.

Personally, I don't think you should mess with a RBs weight. They will naturally gain weight as they get older. But, trying to pack 10 or 15 lbs on them so they are more prototype can backfire. That's what we did with McElroy and he never showed the quickness in the pros that he had in college.

spanky1

Reaction score
Ed Burmila said:
He has an incredible arm, but he's about as refined as Josh McCown was coming out of college. Thankfully maybe this performance will chill some of the insane hype about Cutler. He's a pretty decent looking prospect but this game supports an argument that it's fairly ridiculous to start talking about him being drafted before Young and Leinart.

I almost feel bad for the guy, if he gets drafted really high and some team throws him into the fire right away he is going to be completely overwhelmed. If he goes to Detroit, as many "experts" are forecasting....well, I can't think of a worse situation for any young QB. Dealing with the disaster Matt Millen created isn't something Cutler should have to endure.

Cutler to Detroit.....where are coming up with the stuff in all your flurry of posts?

FYI.....Detroit are VERY VERY interested in McCown, which would make more sense than Cutler. They already have an overhyped QB in Harrington to figure out what to do with.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Cutler to Detroit.....where are coming up with the stuff in all your flurry of posts?

FYI.....Detroit are VERY VERY interested in McCown, which would make more sense than Cutler. They already have an overhyped QB in Harrington to figure out what to do with.

PFW mock draft and a couple of others I've seen. It's just speculation. I've also read that Detroit is interested in McCown, and that says everything you need to know about Matt Millen.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My impressions:

Hali looked good had 2 sacks and a very active "motor"
Deangelo Williams has quite a burst and terrific vision., Should be 2nd back drafted. He is much better than I had thought. I wish we had him instead of Arrington.
Ferguson is best OL by far
I liked Dominque Byrd at TE. Would be a great pick for Cards if he is there in third round. (which I doubt)
Max Jean-Giles is huge but has a mean streak and will be a first rounder.
Cutler has a strong arm but needs to work on mechanics. He will be a good pro if he goes to the right team. He needs good pro coaching. Whitehurst has potential. Could move up to 3rd round. Did not like any of the other qbs
Sinorice Moss has excellent speed and good hands. He helped himself today
Hagan will drop to 3rd or 4th round.
Punt returners can't catch. Green & Blackman looked terrible

spanky1

Reaction score
Ed Burmila said:
PFW mock draft and a couple of others I've seen. It's just speculation. I've also read that Detroit is interested in McCown, and that says everything you need to know about Matt Millen.

Maybe Detroit fans but not PFW

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Maybe Detroit fans but not PFW

I'm looking right at the last issue of Pro Football Weekly and it has Cutler to Detroit at #9. Page 50 of the Feb 8 issue.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Really what is the big deal with his weight?

Who was the last 195lb NFL running back? Man that dude looks small. How will he ever make it through a 16 game season against NFL defenders?

Maybe as a Dante Hall?

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ok... maybe Im a minority about this, but for the past 2 months I feel like I was the ONLY freackin one not buying into the whole Cutler thing....

I think he will end up being the biggest Bust in the first round of the draft....

This same kind of thing happend in the 1997 draft with Jim Drunkenmiller... he wasn't hyped or anything throughout his career, and then all of a sudden came the combine and Senior bowl and all of a sudden everyone swoomes over him like he was the next big thing because of "potenital".. today he is considered perhaps the 49ers worst draft pick ever....

His stats against decent compition today.... 6-19 69 yards and a INT with one 4 yard touchdown.....

If the Cardinals draft him, I am taking a bath with my toaster....

LenDale in Glendale 2006!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan