Shaq should send the Suns a rebate

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not? I don't believe Philly would want two big contracts in Iggy and Miller for the long run. Nash is perfect for their running game. And they have enough young athletic guys in Carney and Young to really need to pay Iggy big bucks. LB is a great contract despite not having his best year.

So Philly's going to blow up their young up and coming team to put an over the hill Nash (with a huge contract and who can't play defense) on it? Sorry man, but that makes zero sense whatsoever. Do you think they don't see the same warts on him that you do?

the only teams that are gonna take Nash are teams that are looking for that one PG to put them over the top... like a Cleveland or an Orlando.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good or bad? If he throws him under the bus, I'll be right behind him. I doubt he'd stick up for him after playing 30 games and seeing how pathetically he was outcoached in the playoffs.

Oh, bad. He'll toss him under the bus and laugh. He'll be right, yes...but that will be sign number one. The Big Disgruntled in on the horizon. Second time I've got an up-close ticket to it...this time it will be voyeuristic instead of painful.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, bad. He'll toss him under the bus and laugh. He'll be right, yes...but that will be sign number one. The Big Disgruntled in on the horizon. Second time I've got an up-close ticket to it...this time it will be voyeuristic instead of painful.

yeah, here's the difference though, DA deserves whatever scorns he gets and so did Riles. Riles quit on his own team fvor christ sake. I'd throw him under the bus as well.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, here's the difference though, DA deserves whatever scorns he gets and so did Riles. Riles quit on his own team fvor christ sake. I'd throw him under the bus as well.

Better watch out or Andrew's going to start following YOU around.

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
I understand the D'Antoni critics, but if he is fired, I will foremost remember what he did to the Suns in 2005. His style just doesn't work anymore with the current Suns roster.

No reason to hate him. Suns have to move on and try a different coaching approach.

We could still pay coach Mike some respect for what he has done for this ball club and us (spoiled) fans over the past years.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
There's plenty of reason to hate him. His mind bogglingly inept coaching decisions in Game 1 of this series sealed our fate.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
And how are we spoiled fans, we have zero championships and a ton of heartbreaks along the way. I think all anyone here wanted was a Finals appearance by the Nash era Suns, I wouldn't even have to have a finals win necessarily, just make it there. Sadly that isn't the storybook ending.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Shaq is a very proud man, he might do something similar to get more key pieces added...

buttsR4rebounding

Registered
Reaction score
Interestingly, it seems that Kurt Thomas probably gives the Suns more of what they need than Shaq does. He can defend on the pick and roll, shoots FT's well enough not to be a liability, rebounds well, and can hit a 15 foot jumper so he's not clogging the lane to get in Amare's way. He's a free agent after the year, maybe the Suns could pick him up...oh wait, they already had him.....

Phade

Registered
Reaction score
the suns organization is a business.. shaq sells tickets and his teams get on primetime..

end of story..

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
His salary would still count against the cap even if he retired, I believe.
Yes, a retired player's salary is included in team salary and count against the cap, even if the player agrees not to be paid after his retirement.

The only exception to the rule is when a player retires because of medical reasons.

And for what it's worth, Shaq couldn't agree to a pay cut even if he wanted to, because a renegociated contract can't be for less salary and/or years. (and because we can't renegociate contracts since we're over the cap)

OP
OP
R

rgangel27

Rookie
Reaction score
Yes, a retired player's salary is included in team salary and count against the cap, even if the player agrees not to be paid after his retirement.

The only exception to the rule is when a player retires because of medical reasons.

And for what it's worth, Shaq couldn't agree to a pay cut even if he wanted to, because a renegociated contract can't be for less salary and/or years. (and because we can't renegociate contracts since we're over the cap)

Thats so depressing.
So is it all in the hands of Kerr? Can he pull off a "gasol type" trade or something? Just daydreaming here.

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
And how are we spoiled fans, we have zero championships and a ton of heartbreaks along the way. I think all anyone here wanted was a Finals appearance by the Nash era Suns, I wouldn't even have to have a finals win necessarily, just make it there. Sadly that isn't the storybook ending.

Having very entertaining basketball and 50+ seasons, deep playoff runs, lots of star players and a team capable of winning it all for a few seasons is pretty good imo.

You know how much fans of other teams would give for just the span of the last four Suns years? Ask the Clippers, Hawks, Knicks, T-Wolves, Sonics, Raptors, Sixers, Bucks, Pacers, Grizzlies, Warriors and so on.

When I worte "spoiled" I considered us Suns fans pretty lucky for what we had since I follow the NBA (early 90s). Since then, there are just a few teams that won it all: Bulls (6), Spurs (3+1*), Lakers (3), Rockets (2), Pistons, Heat.

That's just 6 of 30 NBA teams winning the title.

Of all the other teams I only consider few of them more or equally successful over this stretch as Phoenix. Utah made it to the Finals twice and has constant playoff teams.
New Jersey made it twice as well, but they always knew they wouldn't stand a chance against the West winner and sucked for the rest of their last two decades.
Even if you make an argument for the Knicks, Sonics (nice stretch in the 90s) or other teams, it's very hard to think of 10 teams being more successful as Phoenix.

And the moment we can't enjoy a 55 win season, I consider ourselves spoiled.

I know, it's a first round exit. But this is due to the enormous talent in the West right now. Every other year, and we wouldn't face the defending champions in round one.
And even in this series, we had our chances. You're right about the multitude of heartbreaks - but I take them over the nothingness of a Clippers fan every day.

And though I know it doesn't look promising, but the Nash era is not over, yet.

Sandman 777

Reaction score
I have been a long long long long long time Shaq fan but I think Shaq should slash his pay check to half. He owes the suns for taking him and he should give something back to them since he is only half of who he was before. Give back $7 to $ 10 million.. allowing the Suns to acquire more players that we desperately need to make it next year. And just get the money back from commercials , movies and endorsements.

Why the hell would Shaq do that? Would you give 7 to 10 mill back to a guy who's even richer than you because he traded for you? Its ridiculous. The Suns accepted Shaq's contract, its not like he conned them or something. Time to take your medicine, Kerr.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
I have been a long long long long long time Shaq fan but I think Shaq should slash his pay check to half. He owes the suns for taking him and he should give something back to them since he is only half of who he was before. Give back $7 to $ 10 million.. allowing the Suns to acquire more players that we desperately need to make it next year. And just get the money back from commercials , movies and endorsements.

I may be wrong so correct me if i am, but i dont think that is allowed. If he gives 10 mil back it gives the team cash but i think the 20 mil still goes against the cap.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
The decision to get Shaq was because he can physically deal with Duncan. A year ago Duncan averaged 26.8 ppg on 57.3% shooting. This year he scoring 23.8 ppg but on just 50.6% shooting. Much of that was in game 1 when Shaq was in foul trouble.

In game 2, Duncan shot only 8 of 20 for 18 points and in game 4, Duncan shot only 6 of 18. Considering that Shaq played without a lot of double team help, I think that was pretty good.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I worte "spoiled" I considered us Suns fans pretty lucky for what we had since I follow the NBA (early 90s). Since then, there are just a few teams that won it all: Bulls (6), Spurs (3+1*), Lakers (3), Rockets (2), Pistons, Heat.

That's just 6 of 30 NBA teams winning the title..

You can go all the way back to 1980 and only have to add two teams to the above...Philly and the Celtics.

That's the extent of my active basketball watching memories (since I was around 6-7 years old). I've seen 8 teams win titles. That's unreal.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05