Shawn Green A D'Back Afterall

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Los Angeles Dodgers have agreed in principle to trade Shawn Green to the Arizona Diamondbacks for two players, according to baseball sources, the paperwork for which is expected to be submitted to Commissioner Bud Selig's office Monday.

The trade could be related to, but does not depend upon, Arizona's intention to deal Randy Johnson to the New York Yankees, the details of which also are expected to be filed with Selig on Monday.

If that trade is completed - Johnson for pitchers Javier Vazquez and Brad Halsey and catching prospect Dioner Navarro - the Dodgers would receive Navarro and a pitching prospect for Green, according to a baseball official familiar with the discussions.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0103Dodgers-ON.html

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
hmmmmm..........i won't know how i feel about this trade until i know who the pitching prospect is. :shrug:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
ESPN.com news services

After the Los Angeles Dodgers pulled out of the proposed three-team deal with the Arizona Diamondbacks and New York Yankees centering on Randy Johnson, the Dodgers have agreed to trade an original piece of that swap to the Diamondbacks.

First baseman/outfielder Shawn Green will head to Arizona in exchange for minor leaguers. ESPN's Peter Gammons reports that Arizona will receive Green and approximately $8 million from the Dodgers for Yankees prospect Dioner Navarro, whom Arizona will obtain in the Johnson trade, and two other players.

The Los Angeles Times reports that the deal could be related to, but does not depend on the Johnson deal. If that deal does go through, The Times reports L.A. would receive Navarro and a pitching prospect. If the Johnson trade is not completed, the Dodgers would get a young catcher -- either Koyie Hill or Chris Snyder -- and the same pitching prospect, as yet unknown.

Either proposal is contingent on the Diamondbacks and Green coming to agreement on an extension.

Gammons believes this may free the Dodgers to sign free-agent right-hander Derek Lowe.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The $17 million we're getting from the Dodgers and the Yanks hopefully will be used to sign Stephen Drew, but with the current regime I'm guessing we'll get obtain some bad pitching instead.

I wonder who the prospect pitcher is going to be. If I had to guess, it would be Bill Murphy as DePodesta drafted the guy when he was in Oakland and he was pretty bad in his short stint in the organization.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Koyie Hill or Chris Snyder? What, so we can make playing time for Kelly Stinnett?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I wonder if we can acquire/trade for any other overpaid has-beens to round out this team. I am sure we have some young guys we can give up. The idea of Gonzo/Green/? patrolling the outfield makes me shudder. The parallels between the two are amazing, weak armed, overpaid left handed hitters who had a few good seasons, but regardless can't play defense or do anything other than hit mistake pitches. THis team is amazing.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Well That's a bummer. He was regarded as quite promising. His ERA between South Bend and El Paso was around 2.42, I think. 29 BB vs. 115 Ks in 121 innings.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
I wonder if we can acquire/trade for any other overpaid has-beens to round out this team. I am sure we have some young guys we can give up. The idea of Gonzo/Green/? patrolling the outfield makes me shudder. The parallels between the two are amazing, weak armed, overpaid left handed hitters who had a few good seasons, but regardless can't play defense or do anything other than hit mistake pitches. THis team is amazing.
It hurts to read your comments about Gonzo. He became a solid line drive hitter with power, then became a superstar, with the D'backs. The best situational hitter on the team, who also hit an amazing 57 homeruns, and averaged about 35. A .300 hitter. And a model team player.

A decent fielder, who makes up for his average defensive skills with intelligence. A freak injury, but continuing to play when his team needed him, working hard not to drop out and just collect a paycheck.

I believe that with our full house at the top of the order -- 2 C's and 3 G's --Counsell, Clayton, Gonzo, Glaus, and Green, we'll be solid.

And followed by Chad Tracy (or whoever winds up in the extra OF or 1B spot), then whoever plays CF, and our solid 1-2 catching staff, we should have a productive lineup.

A solid bullpen. The only other thing remaining to be seen is how our starting rotation winds up.

But to put down Gonzo, for the contributions he's made to the Diamondbacks . . . and the contribution he can still make . . . is not only thankless, it's wrong. That's my opinion.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Lol, I appreciate the opinion BC and respect it, but I believe you are being a bit melodramatic here. If Clayton and Counsell are hitting at the top of our lineup, expect a lot of 123 first innings, they need to be split up, and Counsell should see little playing time, I'd much rather see Cintron getting time at 2nd, at least he has potential to get better. Again, the major problem we face is a lack of top tier pitching.

I shudder at the thought of Russ Ortiz as an ace, he was decent in SF, a wonderful pitchers park, but struggled in Atlanta, which is a notorious pitchers park. Look at what he did in the postseason as well, not very encouraging... In a hitters park like BOB I expect him to be shelled on a nightly basis. With the amount of money we gave him, it makes me ill.

If you want to accuse me of something, at least have it with a basis in fact. Never once did I make a comment about the contributions that he has made to the d-backs, he had some nice years. The mistake was giving him a "good guy" contract that killed our bottom line. Ten million a year for his declining skill set is a joke, and for a little more money, we could have gotten a player like Vlad Gurrero, who is 10 x the player gonzo is. Please be realisitic at this point. Gonzo is an above average hitter who can punish bat pitches, but is often overmatched. His defense and speed are a joke, and his arm is so bad, players go first to third on a single to left. Even before he hurt it, his arm was terrible. If you don't recognize the reality of what Gonzo has become, then it is your myopia that is the problem.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
His defense and speed are a joke, and his arm is so bad, players go first to third on a single to left. Even before he hurt it, his arm was terrible. If you don't recognize the reality of what Gonzo has become, then it is your myopia that is the problem.
I'm not going to say that Gonzo is a good fielder but the 1rst to 3rd thing only started last year when he couldn't lift his hand over his shoulder. He has had surgery and this aspect of his fielding should not be an issue.

I've always thought Gonzo while not being overly fast or strong armed was at least adequite when it came to judging the ball. It never seemed to be as big an issue when Fins was covering half the outfield.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
devilalum said:
I'm not going to say that Gonzo is a good fielder but the 1rst to 3rd thing only started last year when he couldn't lift his hand over his shoulder. He has had surgery and this aspect of his fielding should not be an issue.

I've always thought Gonzo while not being overly fast or strong armed was at least adequite when it came to judging the ball. It never seemed to be as big an issue when Fins was covering half the outfield.

The first to third thing was for dramatic effect, :D , my argument is for what he is being paid, and what he produces, especially defensively. For what he is being paid, he should be excellent both defensively and offensively. For a small market team like ours to give him a "goodwill" contract is just stupid.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
The first to third thing was for dramatic effect, :D , my argument is for what he is being paid, and what he produces, especially defensively. For what he is being paid, he should be excellent both defensively and offensively. For a small market team like ours to give him a "goodwill" contract is just stupid.
They gave him the big contract after he hit 57 homers and knocked in the freakin world championship run. If you're gonna give "Goodwill Dollars" I can't think of a better person to give them too.:shrug:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Dbacks did a lot of ugly things to get and as a result of winning the World Series. Was it worth it?

HELL YEAH!

But I would agree that its time to move on.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Shawn Green's best year was 1999. He nearly duplicated it in 2001, which was also Gonzo's best year. While Gonzo has declined since 2001, it hasn't been as great a decline as Shawn Green. Gonzo last year still had a .866 OPS. Shawn Green's OPS was only .811.

Green is definitely on the downside of his career. I could see taking his contract for one year as a favor to LA who wants to dump his contract to get J.D. Drew. Talk about helping out your enemy. Take their bad contract, give them prospects and free up money so they can sign a much better player. And to top it off - extending the guy for 2 more years. Insane. If you take Shawn Green for one year it should be as a salary dump, giving up very little in return.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
schillingfan said:
Shawn Green's best year was 1999. He nearly duplicated it in 2001, which was also Gonzo's best year. While Gonzo has declined since 2001, it hasn't been as great a decline as Shawn Green. Gonzo last year still had a .866 OPS. Shawn Green's OPS was only .811.

Green is definitely on the downside of his career. I could see taking his contract for one year as a favor to LA who wants to dump his contract to get J.D. Drew. Talk about helping out your enemy. Take their bad contract, give them prospects and free up money so they can sign a much better player. And to top it off - extending the guy for 2 more years. Insane. If you take Shawn Green for one year it should be as a salary dump, giving up very little in return.
If the Dbacks just took him off the Dodgers hands they wouldn't have to send prospects. The Dodgers are paying $8 million for Navarro and ?

Doesn't Green make $16 million?

16-8=8, $8 million for Green still seems like too much. Sure hope the Dbacks know something we don't.

AZZenny

Reaction score
ESPN: If the Johnson trade goes through as expected, the Yankees would send pitchers Javier Vazquez and Brad Halsey, along with catching prospect Dioner Navarro, to the Diamondbacks. Arizona also would get $9 million.

Navarro and pitching prospect William Juarez would go to the Dodgers as part of the Green trade, Kendrick confirmed.

If the Johnson trade falls apart, Arizona would send Juarez and 23-year-old catcher Chris Snyder to Los Angeles.

Are they INSANE!? Juarez and Snyder for a fading, overpaid old vet? AAARRRGGGHHHH. We'll have a 20 million dollar outfield with neither legs nor arms. So much for being positive in brand new 2005. This front office is just as brain dead as it was in 2004.

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
If the Johnson trade falls apart, Arizona would send Juarez and 23-year-old catcher Chris Snyder to Los Angeles.
[/COLOR]
In the words of Luke Skywalker: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but this team will be very intresting to watch. With Green/Gonzo/Glaus The killer G's :) that's a ton of pop in the middle. Then with Vazquez/Ortiz/Webb at the top of our rotation, that could lead to a few wins.

(Vazquez will most likely be shipped for specs and a decent #1 starter)

This team should be intresting to watch. :thumbup:

I'm a huge Green fan.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I like Green alot. He tends to do well at BOB, and he should be finally recovered from his injury. :thumbup:

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Another bright side to this is the fact that Green is a veteran. We need adults on this team. Last year the team sorely lacked leadership once Fins was dealt. The additions of Ortiz, Glaus, Counsell and Green could help a lot to develop a lot of these snot-nosed brats. Good riddance to the selfish RJ too. I'm beginning to like the way next year is shaping up. At least the front office did something rather than waiting for players to mature.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope we dont plan on keeping Green around for too long, given his contract and our surplus of outfield prospects that can flat out play the game.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm with Adam, I like Green. He had surgery over a year ago and his second half numbers this past year were much better than his first half. Green has hit very well at BOB and his numbers should improve, especially since he won't be playing 81 games in LA.

I think Shawn should be 100% recovered from his surgery and with him being only 32 years old, he should put up better numbers than what we had in right the past 2-3 years.

If they can sign Green to maybe 8 million a year I would not be against this trade. Juarez's numbers were good in the minors but I like Murphy(received from LA in the Finley trade) better.

What I find interesting is what will they do with Shea? Do they keep him and trade Chad or do they keep Chad and trade Shea?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
I'm with Adam, I like Green. He had surgery over a year ago and his second half numbers this past year were much better than his first half. Green has hit very well at BOB and his numbers should improve, especially since he won't be playing 81 games in LA.

I think Shawn should be 100% recovered from his surgery and with him being only 32 years old, he should put up better numbers than what we had in right the past 2-3 years.

If they can sign Green to maybe 8 million a year I would not be against this trade. Juarez's numbers were good in the minors but I like Murphy(received from LA in the Finley trade) better.

What I find interesting is what will they do with Shea? Do they keep him and trade Chad or do they keep Chad and trade Shea?

Most likely trade Hillenbrand. The Jays are one rumored destination.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05