Shawne Merriman

doctor

Registered
Reaction score
The NFL Network reported that Merriman is possibly on the trading block. Has anyone had a chance to watch him this year. I know it usually takes 2yrs to get your burst/speed back. He plays in a similar 3/4 scheme. When he was healthy he was a monstor. Look what Jared Allen has done for the Vikings pass rush. Also, remember when the Cowboys traded for Charles Haley, he turned their defense into an elite unit. Merriman could be interesting. Thoughts?

Tim

Reaction score
I had the same thought. He and AJ Smith aren't getting along. I would pick up the phone if I were Rod.

A healthy Shawn Merriman would solve the Cards pass defense issues and make them a top tier defense.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
I would be ALL for it, to say the least. He will get back into form soon enough, he has a strong work ethic. Our defense is an elite pass rusher away from being very good, and Merriman could potentially fill that void. Doubt it will happen, but we can dream.

Unsterblich856

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we add Shawne Merriman and draft a nose tackle like Terrence Cody we'd finally have a legit 3-4. I like the idea.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Who or what would we have to give up to make it worth while for the Chargers?

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, that knee injury is really concerning. Theres a reason they drafted Larry English.

If he were healthy, id be all over that. But if he were healthy, i dont think hed be on the block.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, he just doesn't look right this year

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I'm not sure we have the cap space. We would have to clear some room in order to do it. Otherwise, I would love to have him on the team. Substantial upgrade to what we have now.

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
I'm thinking the same thing. I think if we do make a trade for Merriman (which I don't think is likely) Q would be the major piece. I don't see us resigning him to a huge contract after his current one is done and I don't think he would accept a small offer. The only problem is you would need to resign Merriman or you have the possibility of losing him after this year. I don't think we have enough for that. Maybe if Joe sees this thread he can tell us.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Lots of Merriman Questions to ponder.

Negatives -

1. The guy had reconstruction knee surgery on not just one but two of his ligaments.
2. He told Jay Glazer back in early August that he was 100%. Today he says its a work in progress. There was a set back and that is not a good sign.
3. He also has a groin injury right now.
4. ROIDs, he didnt get caught with supplements, he got caught with anabolic steriods.
5. Off the field issues, dude is a polarizing figure.

Positives -

1. Hasnt tested positive since 2006, had 8.5 sacks after he came back from suspension in 8 games in 06, had 12 sacks in 07. Got caught and still performed to the same level afterwards.
2. When he did come back from suspension he still played "lights out".
3. Only 25 so his knee has a good shot of returning to form.
4. If we trade a player in any deal it should be plenty to cover Merrimans tiny 2.2 mill cap hit.
5. He is in the last year of his deal, yes, but 2010 will be uncapped and because of the RFA rules that year Merriman will only be a RFA thus costing us below 3 mill to keep him next year. So we would have the rest of this year and next year to work on a long term deal.

Now with all of that, it will never happen. Fun to discuss sure, but one that will never end up happening. One, we are not trading a 1st rounder. Two, of the needs the Chargers have we have no one to trade away, those needs being - OT, RB, S, DT, and DE. We have no spare parts in those area's to trade away to make it worth while for the Chargers.

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion but the only way the Chargers take that is in Madden.
So be it.

If they're trying to offload him he's damaged goods. If he wasn't, there's no way he'd be on the block.

You're not making an offer for Merriman circa 2007, you're making an offer for the 2008 version.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
So be it.

If they're trying to offload him he's damaged goods. If he wasn't, there's no way he'd be on the block.

You're not making an offer for Merriman circa 2007, you're making an offer for the 2008 version.

I dont know. This sounds oddly similar to how he handled the Drew Brees situation.

Draft a 1st round prospect at the same position as your star (Philip Rivers, Larry English)
Your star suffers an injury (Brees Torn labrum, Merriman Knee)
Both stars on last years of deal (Both Stars not willing to do an extension to Smiths liking)

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
Since we're talking LB's and I don't feel like starting a new thread, I saw somewhere that the Chief's Derrick Johnson may also be "avaliable." He's certainly not a Merriman or maybe even a starter but if he's brought in he upgrades the depth at linebacker and maybe with a year in the system he could play ILB if we don't find a replacement for Dansby next off season. Surely the asking price wouldn't be much higher than a mid-rounder. Thoughts?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I think we are overvaluing what the Chargers would want for this guy. I would say they would do back flips for a 3rd and a 5th or a younger guy they like on our team.

They are getting no production out of him, he's a distraction and has been phased out of Ron Riveras defense, and EVERYONE knows he is gone at the end of the season with no compensation. PLus they have a GM who is known for loving the draft. There are too many questions about him at this point to give up first day picks for him.

If they want a second rounder I say no way.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
If we add Shawne Merriman and draft a nose tackle like Terrence Cody we'd finally have a legit 3-4. I like the idea.

We already have a legit front 3 for the 3-4 D. Why do we need a NT? What we need is just some more 4's.

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
I think we are overvaluing what the Chargers would want for this guy. I would say they would do back flips for a 3rd and a 5th or a younger guy they like on our team.

They are getting no production out of him, he's a distraction and has been phased out of Ron Riveras defense, and EVERYONE knows he is gone at the end of the season with no compensation. PLus they have a GM who is known for loving the draft. There are too many questions about him at this point to give up first day picks for him.

If they want a second rounder I say no way.

On the conversation of giving up picks......if we were to draft an OLB next year in the first or second round, would that player be comparable to a healthy Shawne Merriman? We got Cody Brown in the second this year and while he's expected to be a decent player and all, I don't think anyone is expecting him to ever put up Merriman-type numbers. If there is a reasonable expectation for him to return to his 2007 form, I don't see why we wouldn't give up a 2nd round pick. As Joe said we'll have a year and half to negotiate a new deal so if we're talking about anything outside of a first round pick, I'm interested.

On a side note, would the Chargers have any interest in Alan Branch? Their big time NT is getting old and Branch is having some kind of emergence. Maybe a third rounder and Branch?