Should the Cardinals retire Larry Centers number??

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
The fact that Centers caught 100 passes as a RB one year speaks volumes about how bad those teams were, as noted previously in this thread. Instead of throwing downfield for big gains to WRs the team had to resort to dump off passes to a RB due to a poor vertical passing game. Those short routes did not stretch the defense.

This team's running game has been so bad for so so long there are fans who dont know what a good running back is. If a runnning backs jersey was going to be retired it would have to be Ottis Anderson. He owns the Cardinals record book at RB.

Retiring of numbers would have to start at HOfers Dierdorf and Jackie Smith. and other HOFers from older days I am not aware of I believe Jackie Smith was left out in earlier post of Cardinal HOFers. Cliff Harris and Charlie Waters book has excellent comments about Jackie Smith, Jim Hart and the rivalrly the teams had. Back then it was truely a rivalry. For a rivalry to exist both teams need to win games.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forget if I've already commented on retiring Centers' number or not, but here it is again if I didn't: it shouldn't be retired.

I can't believe there's really even any debate.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone gets a number retired from the AZ Cardinals, it oughta be Anneas Williams. Yeah, he didn't finish his career here, but neither did a lot of the greats finish their careers with the teams we associate them with throughout history. Joe Montana, Tony Dorsett, OJ Simpson, Jerry Rice, etc...

It's not like he bounced around from team to team like Deion (who I have a hrad time associating with any one team). I say give the honor to Williams.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
I dont think prospects are good for Williams. Even if he did get elected he would go in wearing Rams colors. Too me that would be even worse than him getting elected. At the ceremony there would be Huge numbers of Rams fans and all the talk about his Rams days. The foot note would be he played all those years for a bad Cardinals team. Think what he could have done had he not played there. It would result in national tv slams of the Cardinals. I hope in next few years that the Cards will have a couple players who might make the cut after they retire.

Roger Wehrli was a finalist this year and was a dominate CB for Cardinals teams that gained national prominience. He was all decade for the 70s but he did not make it. I dont see Williams making it if Wehrli cant get elected.