Should the Suns send a message to Bowen?

supernova

Rookie
Reaction score
I was watching the halftime coverage during the game today and the announcers were openly wondering about whether a Suns player should send Bowen to the hospital next game. I'm not aware who the commentators were. They replayed the knee-in-the groin from about four different angles and expressed surprise that the Suns would allow their MVP to be manhandled without any retaliation whatsoever. The consensus seemed to be that the new rules combined with the Suns "softness" explained the lack of action.

They went on to discuss coach D's intimation that the Suns would become more physical in the next game. All three agreed that this was an unwise move and would simply play into the Spurs' hands. Since the Suns can barely breathe on a Spurs player without a foul, they may be right.

But even if the Suns stick to their general style next game, what's your opinion on Bowen? He's intentionally tried to injure the Suns' two star players. A blogger stated that he watched play by play in game 2 and estimated that Bowen had upwards of 80 fouls, most on Nash. The knee-in-the balls was obviously not as egregious as the leg sweep on Amare, but it was still a blatant slap in the face to the Suns' honor. Should a bencher take this creep out? Or at least send him a message he won't soon forget?

Errntknght

Reaction score
If Stern had a pair of anything that Bowen could knee, he'd suspend the cheap artist for a year. I mean that was Bruce thumbing his nose at the whole league kneeing a guy like Nash openly on national TV. The cool, calculated way he did it made it all the worse.

I'm glad the broadcasters gave it a lot of attention - that is the only thing that ever prompts the league to act. They will ignore anything they possibly can.

buttsR4rebounding

Registered
Reaction score
:violin: Knowledgable NBA fans would know that Bruce Bowen is the best perimeter defender in the league. Not the opinion of a Spurs fan, but voted as such by the coaches in the NBA. Oh, by the way, Tim Duncan received the 2nd highest vote total for all-NBA Defensive team. The Suns are about to cry themselves out of the playoffs led by their head crybaby Mike D'Antoni (who wouldn't be in the league if weren't for Gregg Popovich) and the 1st team all-NBA crybaby Amare (I got the best seat in the house) Stoudamire.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
:violin: Knowledgable NBA fans would know that Bruce Bowen is the best perimeter defender in the league. Not the opinion of a Spurs fan, but voted as such by the coaches in the NBA. Oh, by the way, Tim Duncan received the 2nd highest vote total for all-NBA Defensive team. The Suns are about to cry themselves out of the playoffs led by their head crybaby Mike D'Antoni (who wouldn't be in the league if weren't for Gregg Popovich) and the 1st team all-NBA crybaby Amare (I got the best seat in the house) Stoudamire.

Nobody is saying Bowen doesn't stop people. People are saying he stops them by playing dirty.

PHX 32

Hard times on Planet Orange
Reaction score

who are you?

__JaG__

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
the suns shouldnt be worried about "sending messages" it's way past that. amare sent a message via the media and it didnt work out so well...

HooverDam

Reaction score
No, the Suns shouldn't try to get more physical, it just plays into the Spurs hands. The Spurs are pros at being dirty, overly physical cheaters, the Suns wouldn't be able to pull it off as well and would get caught doing it.

Furthermore, the Suns should rise above the fray, be the collective bigger man, and just play. Some day when I have kids, I'll be able to proudly tell them about Steve Nash running the break with Amare and Shawn, and tell them not only were they great players, but also great people. I wouldn't want to have to be a Spurs fan and tell my kids "yah, we won some rings, but our team had to play dirty to win."

Guanciale

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
While I tend to agree that Bowen is on par with Karl Malone as being the most egregious fouler Ive had the fortune of seeing in my lifetime, I regularly fail to see how a characterization can be made that the Spurs as a whole are dirty or can be called cheaters for being physical. Its not a logical assessment. I never blame refs for a loss, but Ill be damned if i didnt feel robbed after last nights fiasco. I keep seeing Spurs fans claming that Amare pulled Horry out of bounds on that play where Big Shot Bob tried to induce the refs into giving him his 4th. No matter, they did it later on the other end with the phantom foul on that no name center the Spurs roll with. Taking Amare out of the game is one thing if Amare deserves it. He made some silly fouls, and needs to reduce those knowing the refs are going to blow it a couple times a game. But he certainly shouldnt have to. Horribly called game. Missing the Marion foul on Ginobilli and then not having the stones to reverse the call after seeing the damage done is weak.

My point, The SPurs arent dirty, they are physical. We may not like it, but it behooves a smart well coached team to play the way the refs will elt them. Thats within the rules, and definitely within the spirit of the game. Anyone who says milking the refs for all theyre worth isnt in the spirit of the game is blind. Suns fans need to SHUT UP, stop calling the spurs crybabies out of one side of their mouth and then turning around and crying wee wee wee all the way home like so many little pigs out of the other.

Lets play some friggin ball, Jack.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I hope the league has fined each crew that has officiated this series. The officiating is so bad.

And if someone wants to criticize me for b!tching about the officiating, go ahead. But if you seriously dont think the officiating is egregiously benefiting the spurs, then you need a check up from the neck up!!

sunsfn

Reaction score
This is probably going to bother some people here, but the Suns should have re-signed Tim Thomas like I wanted them to do, and others wanted them to do. TT sometimes during the year does not play as hard as he should, but the guy can play, and he knows how to play.
He always plays great in the big games as witnessed last year in the playoffs.
I mentioned this last year and am going to say it again, when someone in the regular season or the playoffs last year fouled Nash hard. sometime later TT would set a very hard pick and the player usually went to the floor. He did this many times and took the foul for the team. There was a game where the other point was banging Nash hard and often, TT set a hard pick and the foul was called and you could see Nash walk over and say thanks. It was easy to read his lips that time.

This is kind of spilled milk, but the suns do need someone like that who really is not afraid to do that, no one on the team will do that now. I would think KT would maybe do that but he does not. Screw the extra foul, someone has to do that, and in tomorrow nights game KT or someone should set a hard pick on Bowens and knock him down.
It should have been done last game, and also when it happened someone should have walked over to Bowen and told him to not do that again.
If someone did I did not see it.

Maurice Lucas played for the suns a couple years in the twilight of his career, no one, I mean on one would have done that to any of his teammates during a game. They knew ahead of time he would knock them down and probably more than once, and would actually try to hurt them.

OP
OP
S

supernova

Rookie
Reaction score
Furthermore, the Suns should rise above the fray, be the collective bigger man, and just play. Some day when I have kids, I'll be able to proudly tell them about Steve Nash running the break with Amare and Shawn, and tell them not only were they great players, but also great people.

Sure. But nice guys often finish last. At least in this culture. The Mbuti pygmies of the Ituri rainforest -- nice guys finish first. Sure. But this ain't the Congo, and this ain't a rainforest.

Bowen has earned it. I say Suns play their style, ignore the refs, but D brings someone off the bench and take Bowen out, or at least send him a message.

Last edited:

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
I mentioned this last year and am going to say it again, when someone in the regular season or the playoffs last year fouled Nash hard. sometime later TT would set a very hard pick and the player usually went to the floor. He did this many times and took the foul for the team. There was a game where the other point was banging Nash hard and often, TT set a hard pick and the foul was called and you could see Nash walk over and say thanks. It was easy to read his lips that time.

Yup, and when a skirmish erupted in the Lakers or Mavs series, TT was always in the middle of it. I just wish the money that Banks got went to TT.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
This is probably going to bother some people here, but the Suns should have re-signed Tim Thomas like I wanted them to do, and others wanted them to do. TT sometimes during the year does not play as hard as he should, but the guy can play, and he knows how to play.
He always plays great in the big games as witnessed last year in the playoffs.

This is kind of spilled milk, but the suns do need someone like that who really is not afraid to do that, no one on the team will do that now. I would think KT would maybe do that but he does not. Screw the extra foul, someone has to do that, and in tomorrow nights game KT or someone should set a hard pick on Bowens and knock him down.
It should have been done last game, and also when it happened someone should have walked over to Bowen and told him to not do that again.
If someone did I did not see it.

Maurice Lucas played for the suns a couple years in the twilight of his career, no one, I mean on one would have done that to any of his teammates during a game. They knew ahead of time he would knock them down and probably more than once, and would actually try to hurt them.

I agree.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Tim Thomas is a contract year player. He would have only benefited us if he was given a one year deal. Otherwise, he's worthless.

fordronken

Reaction score
I hope the league has fined each crew that has officiated this series. The officiating is so bad.

And if someone wants to criticize me for b!tching about the officiating, go ahead. But if you seriously dont think the officiating is egregiously benefiting the spurs, then you need a check up from the neck up!!

You know it's bad when the San Antonio papers are even pointing out that Nash was getting hacked in the last game without calls. You can argue all you want about them missing calls, but the "strip" of Nash in the fourth quarter of game 2 had an official staring directly at the play. Then in game one, the ref was staring right at Ginobilli when he was on the floor holding Amare's leg. Amare pointed it out to the official, who then gave a shrug and watched the pass to Amare roll out of bounds. Those, to me, aren't missed calls. Those are decisions not to call it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mind sending him a message but not at the expense of one of our players getting suspended.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Tim Thomas is a contract year player. He would have only benefited us if he was given a one year deal. Otherwise, he's worthless.

I don't think so. He had a chance to win a title here and he knew it and said it. He played hard for the suns, was a first class citizen, and was highly recommended by KT who played with him on the Knicks.

Besides, I really believe he would have given this team a whole lot more than Banks is.
I realize Banks came after TT had signed with the Clips, but I really think that D'Antoni did not give enough thought to what TT brought to this team. He was a big body, and played the Suns brand of basketball with his outside touch and could play some D and get some rebounds. There are not a lot of bigs that can give us what he did.

Anyway, we need someone like that, and need to make sure we get someone in the off season.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't mind sending him a message but not at the expense of one of our players getting suspended.
I don't like to advocate violence, or fighting fire with fire.

But if one of our many garbage-time players get suspended for being an enforcer, and gives the Suns the opportunity to get back in this series -- and into the post-season state of mind -- why not?

I'm sure the Suns would find a way to cover the fine. And all we'd lose is a few minutes of garbage-time.

So I'll disagree with you on this one.

sunsfn

Reaction score

Do you really think they will suspend someone that sets a hard pick and knocks someone down? I do not think so.

OP
OP
S

supernova

Rookie
Reaction score
Suns should stick to thier game-plan. Ignore the refs.

But a bencher should come in and take Bowen out. Bowen shoulda woulda coulda bin takin out a long time ago. If the NBA allowed enforcers, Bowen would be in a nursing home.

Imagine Bowen sweeping a leg on the playground. dude would be minus a head.

If the NBA is willing to tolerated sweeps, they should be able tolerate a good ass whoopin. Send in the big white bald guy.

Suns play, bench pay back.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Burke & Marks don't have it in them. Jumaine Jones would be my choice to put Bowen into the 3rd row.

quick dog

Reaction score
I am sure that the refs are anticipating some action against Bowen. That is why it would be stupid to do anything harsh. The criminal usually gets away with bad things, then the police watch the neighborhood. Retribution by victims is always punished. You can't beat City Hall.

Besides, Popovich is the real problem. This stuff has been going on for years. If someone wanted to get Pop's attention, a cheap shot on Duncan might make the point. OK, someone would say that Duncan is the model of professionalism, a good guy. I would remind that person that Tim Duncan has benefited from countless cheap shots inflicted by Bruce Bowen and other artful thugs to the tune of three NBA championships. You lay with dogs, you get fleas.