Shout out on D McNabb

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
man is he good.

In the third quarter -- he was putting the ball in windows that were oh-so tight.

its utterly crazy that Philly fan is calling for McNabb's head.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
man is he good.

In the third quarter -- he was putting the ball in windows that were oh-so tight.

Totally agree. Holy moly. If McNabb;s name was Drew Brees, he is an Eagle for life.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
That 62 yds bomb to Jackson was ridiculous.

62 yds and on the money.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Last night on NFL Network Jaime Dukes was ripping Philly fans and taunting them to run McNabb and Reid out of town because they are so awful.It was pretty funny. I guess Jaime Dukes doesn't like Philly fans.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
man is he good.

Yeah, but 1 out of 4 quarters does not a Super Bowl trip make.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cowheard is saying the same thing, he says Mcnabb is being unfairly treated, especially for what hes had to work with.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cowheard is saying the same thing, he says Mcnabb is being unfairly treated, especially for what hes had to work with.

So what about Tom Brady? A great player makes those around him great.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
wait who said anything about superbowls? you said brady had no one and i just named two players.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
McNabb isn't entirely to blame but his erratic passes and history of choking aren't figments of the the imagination. I also question the continued argument that he has nothing to work with. He's had Brian Westbrook as an incredible safety valve and Curtis and Jackson aren't chopped liver. If McNabb was more accurate with his intermediate passing game, the raw speed that both of them posses might be better utilized.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
OK, I'll let you back peddle. But he only had them for one season out of 8.

Back peddle? its fact. Dion branch is no scrub either (when healthy hes seattles #1) . Im not going to pretend like i know the pats or what their roster was like at WR the last 8 years. (looks like troy brown and branch up untill 2 years ago).

those two are certainly better than the great white stache and the rookie that mcnabb is throwing to.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Brady has also had the luxury of throwing 2/3 of his passes while tied or leading. It doesn't speak to his greatness that a high school experienced QB could come in and keep things rolling either. Brady has had a ton of help even though it hasn't been at the WR position.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brady has also had the luxury of throwing 2/3 of his passes while tied or leading. It doesn't speak to his greatness that a high school experienced QB could come in and keep things rolling either. Brady has had a ton of help even though it hasn't been at the WR position.
Come on now. Dude had a ton of help, but he is not Trent Dilfer.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
moss? welcher?

Moss is a perfect example. He was a tool before he went to NE. Sure he made great plays but he also held his team back with his behavior.

Actually, he's still a tool but it doesn't seem to effect his team anymore.

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
McNabb isn't entirely to blame but his erratic passes and history of choking aren't figments of the the imagination. I also question the continued argument that he has nothing to work with. He's had Brian Westbrook as an incredible safety valve and Curtis and Jackson aren't chopped liver. If McNabb was more accurate with his intermediate passing game, the raw speed that both of them posses might be better utilized.

This pretty much nails it. The casual fan might watch three or four games and yell at McNabb. For me I've always liked the guy. He DOES drive us crazy with his low passes and late passes.

He also drove us nuts that halfway through his career he decided, just DECIDED, that he doesn't want to be a running QB because of some silly stereotype. He used to get 80-100 yards on the ground and be spied on every play. He still can do it but only when he deems it entirely necessary. It's a waste of real talent. But I digress.

He scrambles as well as any starting QB in the league and it is fantastic to watch.

But it's true - he doesn't get enough to work with. 2008 is probably the best crop of WRs that he has had - maybe with an argument for the few months of "good" Owens. And people outside of Philly fans or hardcore fantasy football wouldn't be able to name more than two of them from memory. They aren't superstars - they just work hard in practice.

Let me put it this way. Add a Fitzgerald clone to the Eagles for a minute. Even someone with his size and only 60-80% of his talent. The Eagles would be absolutely steamrolling people. But they have sat around for eight offseasons and NOT grabbed a large, tall WR.

The same can kind of be said for their DB selections. Guys that generally overachieve and play well in the nickel and dime, for sure. But they are cursed with this desire to only carry 5'10" players. Think I'm overstating it? Look at the heights listed on the roster:

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/roster.asp?sort_by=3

Eight DBs. Six are 5'10" or shorter. One 5'11", one 6'0".

As witnessed yesterday over and over, short guys have no chance at covering a tall, mobile WR in a possession area of the field. Which is pretty much everywhere.

Last edited:

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Come on now. Dude had a ton of help, but he is not Trent Dilfer.
I'm not saying he is Trent Dilfer but no QB has been in such a beneficial situation for as long as Brady has. Other than 2007, his TD%, Int% and QB rating weren't anything noteworthy. He had a great defense/team surrounding him and he usually just had to orchestrate a field goal drive to win games. With the o-line that he had, that usually wasn't a problem.

I don't blame him for having a good team but I think he get's way too much of the credit for NE's success. Not to mention the cheating and lucky (tuck rule) calls that his career/NE is based on.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying he is Trent Dilfer but no QB has been in such a beneficial situation for as long as Brady has. Other than 2007, his TD%, Int% and QB rating weren't anything noteworthy. He had a great defense/team surrounding him and he usually just had to orchestrate a field goal drive to win games. With the o-line that he had, that usually wasn't a problem.

I don't blame him for having a good team but I think he get's way too much of the credit for NE's success. Not to mention the cheating and lucky (tuck rule) calls that his career/NE is based on.
Mayhaps.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
But it's true - he doesn't get enough to work with. 2008 is probably the best crop of WRs that he has had - maybe with an argument for the few months of "good" Owens.
I don't think the Eagles have just sat on their hands in terms of trying to acquire talent for him though. Curtis, although seemingly not admired by most, was a good free agent pickup and for whatever reason, they have evidently decided speedy receivers are what the offense needs.

Welker is a good example of a true difference maker and I think Jackson or Curtis could emulate what he does in NE if PHI was running that offense. I don't think they can do that with McNabb though. He has great physical gifts and a real cannon of an arm but his mechanics or focus must be a true problem because you can almost set your clock to him struggling.

That's why I think a change of scenery might benefit him and the Eagles. I think the Eagles need to get a QB that is accurate and a good decision maker(Garcia seemed to really excel in the PHI version of the WCO and I'm not even that high on him). McNabb would benefit from a more traditional offense that would allow him to utilize his big arm and get the ball down the field more often.

Chicago might actually be a good place for him. His arm strength is perfect for dealing with the weather there and he won't be responsible for throwing the ball 40 times a game.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wish we had played in 5 of the last 8 NFC Championship tilts.

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think the Eagles have just sat on their hands in terms of trying to acquire talent for him though. Curtis, although seemingly not admired by most, was a good free agent pickup and for whatever reason, they have evidently decided speedy receivers are what the offense needs.

Unfortunately, they have. Curtis was like a 3rd option at WR in the offseason at best. They just didn't try hard enough for the others. Curtis only saw this much playing time because Reggie Brown, the big draft pick star, fell off the map entirely in 2008. Which is a good thing, if I'm being honest, since the lesser names Avant, etc were getting things done. While I love the Curtis's heart and ability to hold on to the ball, he is still a #2 WR. The Eagles have had a true #1 WR only once and T.O. was not the answer.

Complete agreement on the speedy WRs. It's absolutely wonderful to see Desean Jackson look like a real stud speed player on this team. But it's still a terrible curse that the front office has overlooked the need for a large , tall WR for seven of eight seasons in a row. It's probably our number one gripe as fans.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05