SI's 2007 NFL Draft Top 10

Slacker

Rookie
Reaction score
I can think of 5 QB's better than Quinn without even much thought.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
It does look like there are at least 4 Tackles possibly in the draft who could help us, Thomas, Brown, Jake Long and Sam Baker. Baker said last month he is not interested in leaving USC early, but everyone says that early in their junior year but as the season wears on the lure of money changes a lot of minds.

I read something yesterday that said many NFL teams are projecting Fresno State C Kyle young as an NFL RT, that would be LT with us(Matt being a lefty) but that's how good they think he can be. CB is definitely a position of need and McCauley from Fresno State and Leon Hall of Michigan are generally considered the top rated CB's.

The 2 best players I've seen in the country this year are Peterson and Lynch, I only saw Calvin Johnson once and he got shut out but I've seen enough highlights to see why people love him too.

You've been talking about Lynch for a while and I've only seen him play twice (with highlights a few times) but he is going to be a three down back without a doubt. The thing I love about him as his receiving ability, and he is a pretty decent blocker too. I know the Cards won't go running back but he would probably be my pick if they did.

The other O-Lineman I like is Blalock, but because he moved to G he won't be taken by the Cards. He's another guy I liked last year as our 2nd rounder. The guy who replaced him at RT (I forget his name, he's a really big guy who I think is only a Soph.) is going to be an excellent player also.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
That's old-school Cardinals' thinking. That's drafting for need. That's not taking what the draft gives you. That's how you end up with Knight or Bryant and Pace.

So you want another RB or WR? BPA needs to have some need and value factored into that and you know it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you want another RB or WR? BPA needs to have some need and value factored into that and you know it.
I wouldn't have any problem with the Cardinals drafting Peterson or Lynch. None. So, seems to me there's only one position we should avoid in the top-10 and that's WR (and that's easy enough to do).

And my comment wasn't so much about you first round T choice, but rather that you locked us into a CB in the second. Lots can happen in the first 40 or so picks and there's likely to be someone who's not a CB falling to us. In that case, I'd hope we'd take that player...if that player is a CB, all the better.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have any problem with the Cardinals drafting Peterson or Lynch. None. So, seems to me there's only one position we should avoid in the top-10 and that's WR (and that's easy enough to do).

Pariah wants Brady Quinn. I knew it.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe...if we trade back but are still in the top-15 and take Long, the OT out of Michigan. Otherwise we need to take Thomas or Baker...or, get this: Adrian Peterson. Yup.

Is Peterson a between the tackles runner? Any slightly better than warm bodies on the o line is what this team needs. I don't like top 5 OL. They scare me. A top 5 isrequired for LTs only, imo.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've been talking about Lynch for a while and I've only seen him play twice (with highlights a few times) but he is going to be a three down back without a doubt. The thing I love about him as his receiving ability, and he is a pretty decent blocker too. I know the Cards won't go running back but he would probably be my pick if they did.

The big concern on Lynch is how long will he hold up and will he fumble too much in the NFL? He's one of those kids that just refuses to go down. Last year he played with a cast on one arm and fumbled several times because he wouldn't go down, couldn't protect the ball, so people ripped it out ala Urlacher. I don't think he's fumbled yet this year. he's playing on 2 sprained ankles right now. The kid is just a freak of an athlete he was top 5 in the state in 100 meters as a freshman in HS. His freshman year at Cal they had a ton of Wr injuries and toyed with moving him to WR, they said the only WR on the team with better hands was Chase Lyman. He averaged nearly 2 YPC more than arrington that year the year JJ went over 2000 yards, and something like 12 yards per catch. He's built a lot like Edge but at this point is much faster and just a punishing runner. I just wonder with his style he takes a lot of hits how long will he last in the NFL?

He's the nephew of ex Cardinal and Raider safety Lorenzo Lynch. I keep seeing him listed anywhere from 10-20 in the draft projections. One of the lists posted yesterday had him rated 30th. I read the other day that he's having so much fun at Cal this year he's talking about staying for his senior year. Very quiet kid, has close ties on the team with several of the players(cousins and childhood friends) and he may be that rare kid who stays. Because of Cal's system he's not taken anywhere near as many carries as Peterson. At the moment he's had roughly 400 carries in his college career, Peterson over 700, they're the same year, and Peterson has missed time with injuries.

peterson had 339 carries as a true freshman I think Stoops has seriously overused him in college, and frankly I think Tedford UNDER uses Lynch.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Peterson a between the tackles runner? Any slightly better than warm bodies on the o line is what this team needs. I don't like top 5 OL. They scare me. A top 5 isrequired for LTs only, imo.

peterson can do it all he ran a 10.6 100 in HS and is about 220 now and runs with power inside and then has the burst to get outside. he really is a LOT like Eric Dickerson. He's had injury problems in college but when you consider how much they give him the ball that shouldn't surprise anybody. In some ways the injuries have saved him from more carries.

I guess my concern with drafting an OL that high is assuming Green stays why would we assume that the guy responsible for the current OL mess is going to be able to pick the right guy in the draft? It appears he was wrong about Step, dead wrong about Elton brown, wrong about Ross, and so far even Lutui you have to wonder since he has barely played. So why would we expect Green to be able to nail the pick this year?

PrescottLooie

Registered
Reaction score
The correct strategy should be to draft the BPA. However, with the exception of Fitz, strangely enough in the last two drafts the BPA just happened to be a CB and a QB.

We do NOT need Running Backs ! We need Offensive Tackles (plural) and a Corner Back. This years FA crop is gonna be lean, so I think we're gonna have to pick them up in the draft. Insofar as Greens talent evaluation skill with OL, that's why we have scouts. If they aren't any good let's get some who have a track record (e.g. New England).

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there any corners in this year's draft class that are Deangelo Hall type of guys or are they simply really good?

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
This should be a no brainer...

Joe Thomas.

You know damn well if Denny Green is still the coach he has to draft Thomas. Even if he is gone, we need Thomas.

As far as Green's BPA, if we pick 4th or 5th I think it is easy to say Green would rank Thomas above everyone else left on the board.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This should be a no brainer...

Joe Thomas.

You know damn well if Denny Green is still the coach he has to draft Thomas. Even if he is gone, we need Thomas.

As far as Green's BPA, if we pick 4th or 5th I think it is easy to say Green and most would rank Thomas above everyone else left on the board.

How many times in Green's career has he picked an OL that high? I can tell you right now the only OL's Green ever picked in the first round in Minnesota were Steussie and Stringer and they were both in the late teens to early 20's. Maybe that's because he wasn't picking top 5 there ever but do we really know if denny has ever valued an OL as a top 5 pick?

I'm not saying he won't just saying he never did in Minnesota.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How many times in Green's career has he picked an OL that high? I can tell you right now the only OL's Green ever picked in the first round in Minnesota were Steussie and Stringer and they were both in the late teens to early 20's. Maybe that's because he wasn't picking top 5 there ever but do we really know if denny has ever valued an OL as a top 5 pick?

He never had a top ten pick until he came to Arizona. He picked Culpepper with the 13th pick which he got from Washington when he traded Brad Johnson to them.

However this is a moot point as he won't be back next year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He never had a top ten pick until he came to Arizona. He picked Culpepper with the 13th pick which he got from Washington when he traded Brad Johnson to them.

However this is a moot point as he won't be back next year.

Yeah that's why I said maybe because he never picked that high. I just get the impression Green has always valued skill position players(offense and defense) over OL.

But I agree he likely won't be involved in our next draft, he'll be on ESPN criticizing our picks.

:D

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score

Like the others have said, he really hasnt picked that high before he came to Arizona. Despite that, I can not see Denny Green ranking anyone higher then Thomas except Peterson and perhaps Quinn. Thomas will give us exactly what we need, a tackle that will help us run the ball.

Now consider that Leinart is left handed. Would you move Thomas (LT) to protect Leinart's blind side (RT)?

This is what I would do. I would see how much it is going to cost for us to re-sign BIG. If we can re-sign him at a reasonable price, I would team him and Thomas on Leinart's blind side.

The reason for this is, we are not going to be able to sign any RT or LT for that matter, who can come in and protect Leinart's blind side. The best tackle on the market is Max Starks from the Steelers. He wont be going anywhere, because the Steelers will do everything they can to keep him in Pittsburgh.

Not only do we protect Leinart's blind side, but we also give Edge one hell of a wall to run behind. Doing this would be taking a page out of the Seahawks' playbook (prior to Hutch leaving).

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Cards get a top-3 pick they should trade down a few spots and pick up an extra second round pick.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Trade down. Draft Branch or Jake Long and Kyle Young with the latter pick.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't believe that we are talking about the Cards draft after seven games but boy is it tough being a Cardinal fan. We will not get the first pick as I see us winning probably 4 games but should get top ten and maybe top five. Pretty hard to zero in on the top ten as lots of good college games remain and we don't yet know what juniors are coming out. Then there are the bowl games, senior bowl, Indy workouts, etc. But when its all said and done IMO Cards have to give the line the top priority by far. I just wonder who will be making the picks for the Cards. I'm betting it won't be Denny and possibly Graves may also be out.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Joe Thomas, please

I see alot of people lobbying for Joe Thomas but he reminds me alot of Robert Gallery. Tall LT, former TE, plays in the Big 10. Thomas may turn out to be a great OT but the real thing that scares me is he is coming off major knee surgery ala Eric Winston, another tall OT that was a former TE. Maybe Winston and Gallery have struggled because they are still learning to play OL.

Ohio Cards Fan

Veteran
Reaction score
The correct strategy should be to draft the BPA. ...

We do NOT need Running Backs ! We need Offensive Tackles (plural) and a Corner Back. .

Amen! Blindly selecting an O-lineman with a top 5 pick is foolish. I'm not so thrilled with any college lineman that I pay him top 5 money (again...reference the Davis debacle). BPA is always the way to go. We need a speedy #3 receiver that can assume kickoff and punt return duties. Hello Ginn?