SI's 2007 NFL Draft Top 10

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. Adrian Peterson has to be the pick. Good coaching will greatly improve even out existing linemen.

We've heard that song and dance before. Loney is a good coach...the players aren't skilled or are in the wrong position or both.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What the Cards need to do is learn from the Texans mistake last year. If they get the #1 pick, they don't have to take Peterson, Lynch, Quinn or Johnson with it. What they can't do is stay at 1 and take Baker. If Arizona is serious about winning soon and want to upgrade their offensive line, they will almost definitely need to trade down.

Here is what I will say about taking o-line in round one. All season we have complained about the offensive line and how Green ignored it for all these years. Green will be fired because he has bought all the pieces for the sports car but has no engine. Now, it looks like we will have a top pick and you are talking about taking a non-offensive lineman with that pick? I guess that I could see the reasoning if this were a weak year for tackles but it really isn't. If this teams wants to get serious about winning they will take an offensive tackle with their first pick. If not, just call us the Arizona Texans.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've heard that song and dance before. Loney is a good coach...the players aren't skilled or are in the wrong position or both.

Outside of a few guys, (Ross, Step) I don't think it's a talent issue. IMO pass blocking requires skill and run blocking is all attitude. Big definitely has talent. Outside of a few tweener speed rushers, he pass blocks reasonably well but he doesn't have the tempermant to be the dominating road grader that he should be. Wells is a big guy (325) with nimble feet yet he blocks like someone half his size. I say Ross and Step lack talent because they get beat in all phases.

Look around the league at the guys who are the best run blockers. Look how often you see the scouting report of, "lacks great athleticism but plays with a nasty attitude." The Broncos and Falcons have guys who's lack of measurables made them late round draft picks but they play with the attitude that makes for a successful rushing attack.

We need more mean guys. Latui has the right mentality to play G. We need more guys like him and less passive OL.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, when one of the BPA at the top of the draft is a tackle, it's kind of a no-brainer.

I'm fearful of Thomas' success in the NFL, but that's just gut feeling. He should be the pick and most likely will be the pick. I just hope he's not another Gallery.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need more mean guys. Latui has the right mentality to play G. We need more guys like him and less passive OL.

I thought Latui played well...he opened a couple of holes for Edge. I liked his play and he'll only get better.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I like Baker out of USC a little more than Thomas but both have great skill. Thomas just seems a bit soft to me. Of course Baker is a junior so he might not even be in the draft. If we don't pick either a OT or DE in the first round, I will be upset though I think Landry rocks.

What we do in the draft will ultimately be determined to our sucess in free agency which I believe will be slim. With Buffalo not looking to resign Clements we might need to look at him though I think we could manage with Rolle as he should improve.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Well, when one of the BPA at the top of the draft is a tackle, it's kind of a no-brainer.

I'm fearful of Thomas' success in the NFL, but that's just gut feeling. He should be the pick and most likely will be the pick. I just hope he's not another Gallery.

I think you go BPA in the draft all the way. However grades out higher, that's who you take. Cut's down on the bust factor.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I like Baker out of USC a little more than Thomas but both have great skill. Thomas just seems a bit soft to me. Of course Baker is a junior so he might not even be in the draft. If we don't pick either a OT or DE in the first round, I will be upset though I think Landry rocks.

What we do in the draft will ultimately be determined to our sucess in free agency which I believe will be slim. With Buffalo not looking to resign Clements we might need to look at him though I think we could manage with Rolle as he should improve.

Thomas isn't soft. I watched him alot yesterday against Illinois and he had a couple of knock downs that were just silly. He sent the guy flying about 3 yards.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Baker has said he's not coming out but it's early. Of course he knows Matt and Deuce quite well so they'll probably tell him to stay in school to avoid us.

How bad was Thomas' knee injury?

I just personally think this team has a lot of holes but it's awfully hard to pass on "game changers". Calvin Johnson but we have enough money tied up in Wr, so you look at Peterson or Lynch. Depends where we pick it's a tough debate until you know that.

if I have the first pick and I can't make a great trade, I take Peterson. If I have the 5th pick and I'm looking at say Lynch, Thomas or Baker on the board, it's REALLY hard because I think Lynch is a phenom, but this OL is so bad you have to almost take one there.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Maybe from you. Not from me. I've never given any of these bozos any credit. Why? They haven't proven crap to us cardinal fans.

As opposed to those that are fans of their own posts. :rolleyes:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baker has said he's not coming out but it's early. Of course he knows Matt and Deuce quite well so they'll probably tell him to stay in school to avoid us.

I'd actually think they'd tell him to come here and join them...I'm sure they'd love to have him on the team.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd actually think they'd tell him to come here and join them...I'm sure they'd love to have him on the team.

I'm sure Matt would beg him to enter the draft and come here. How many times was he sacked at USC and now he has Monica, Ross, Wells, Step and Milfor Brown protecting him. I'd like to have a USC right side of our line.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe from you. Not from me. I've never given any of these bozos any credit. Why? They haven't proven crap to us cardinal fans.

So you're more willing to get another running back to run behind these same guys because you think a good coach can get them up and able to block for Peterson. Where is this guy with the good coaching? How are you going to identify him if one of your criteria is he has to prove crap to cardinal fans?

You should probably rethink that idea of expecting good coaching to get the current line good to go. The line is a mess. Continuing to put new running backs there over and over again hasn't worked, so why should it now? Especially when there are some legit NFL tackles at the top of the draft.

As opposed to those that are fans of their own posts. :rolleyes:

And that means....?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Matt would beg him to enter the draft and come here. How many times was he sacked at USC and now he has Monica, Ross, Wells, Step and Milfor Brown protecting him. I'd like to have a USC right side of our line.

Exactly. Pull a trade for Winston Justice while you're at it...get Matt and Deuce to talk Baker into coming out and we're 3/5 of the way there. :D

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Pull a trade for Winston Justice while you're at it...get Matt and Deuce to talk Baker into coming out and we're 3/5 of the way there. :D

I wish that was possible but we all know there's no Justice for Cardinals fans. :mad:

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But the Pope is a Cardinal. We could get Justice with a decree from the Pope, I'm sure.

Yeah, about that.....the decree was written but it was put in Waner's hands to deliver. Not sure where he put it but don't be surprised to see Justice in the hands of St. Louis.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So you're more willing to get another running back to run behind these same guys because you think a good coach can get them up and able to block for Peterson. Where is this guy with the good coaching? How are you going to identify him if one of your criteria is he has to prove crap to cardinal fans?

You should probably rethink that idea of expecting good coaching to get the current line good to go. The line is a mess. Continuing to put new running backs there over and over again hasn't worked, so why should it now? Especially when there are some legit NFL tackles at the top of the draft.

To answer your first question -- yes. And hell yes!

And in looking for a better coach than Green, just open your eyes and look around. In any direction. You'll see quite of few. I guarantee it. Of course, for Green apologists, who by their very nature lack vision, it might take a little bit of time to focus in on the reality of things. Keep in mind, a better coach is anyone who could have this team at a better than 1-7 record.

This person, who to you seems to be some mysterious, magical, entity, will prove it to Cards fans by winning games as the Cardinal head coach. Have I lost you yet?

Oh, and As for Thomas being less of risk than Peterson, I wholeheartedly disagree. All things being the same, Peterson is on so many levels the wiser pick. He is a better running back than Thomas is an offensive lineman. He is younger than Thomas, I think. He, unlike James has his best years ahead of him, and thus, will do better even behind this line. He will also bring more excitement to the franchise and thus put more people in the seats. Tell me you wouldn't go out and get a Peterson jersey if we drafted him?

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To answer your first question -- yes. And hell yes!

And in looking for a better coach than Green, just open your eyes and look around. In any direction. You'll see quite of few. I guarantee it. Of course, for Green apologists, who by their very nature lack vision, it might take a little bit of time to focus in on the reality of things.

For example (and to answer another point in your thread) this mysterious, magical person will prove it to Cards fans by winning games as the Cardinal head coach. Have I lost you yet?

As for Thomas being less of risk than Peterson, I wholeheartedly disagree. All things being the same, Peterson is on so many levels the wiser pick.

Loney isn't the head coach. Loney has a good reputation as being a very good line coach. He couldn't coach these guys up. So again, where is this magical, mystical OLINE coach that you think can coach this line good enough to block for yet ONE MORE back...you're going to see him fail.

This isn't about Green. He needs to go immediately. Tonight would be best. This is about your concept that some oline coach out there exists that could turn this into a unit that can block for a rookie running back when they can't block for a pro bowler. Or anybody else. Again, Loney came in with a good reputation, and no players on the line. No other coach is going to come in and prove it with wins until the line is revamped. New blood, better players. Nick Leckey is our starting center, for God's sake. So, until that issue is fixed (hopefully with a head coach who will address the line) the Oline coach is going to fail. These guys aren't going to get "coached up" at all. Not gonna happen.

Peterson can grind it out all he wants behind this line, for a whopping 2.7 per carry. I, for one, am NOT fine with that.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Cardinals are the worst team in the NFL but for some reason I think we are going to eek out some wins and be picking somewhere between 5 and 8 :(

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals are the worst team in the NFL but for some reason I think we are going to eek out some wins and be picking somewhere between 5 and 8 :(

That's why I keep bringing up Lynch. I really believe the Cards will continue the long history of sucking, but not sucking enough to get the first pick. I am sure the really good Ol's are gone by the time we pick and then we're hoping someone like Lynch is there, or a CB, or a LB. That's just our fate, if 2 of the top 5 players are OT's, we'll draft 6th.