So what was the cause of today's loss?

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
I way past the age where I am able to enjoy a nice cold beer. The real question is, with the average age in AZ being 86, are you up to walking that far to obtain one for me?

So act it. If you are way past that age you are way past my age. Also, I understand you are not too swift... I am not in AZ.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Here is the sequence that lost the game for the Cardinals:

Arizona Cardinals at 00:02 (end of third quarter)
1-10-ARI20 :)02) E.James up the middle to ARZ 29 for 9 yards (G.Wesley).
Fourth Quarter Arizona Cardinals continued...
2-1-ARI29 (15:00) E.James right tackle to ARZ 29 for no gain (J.Page, T.Hali).
3-1-ARI29 (14:21) E.James left tackle to ARZ 29 for no gain (J.Reed, K.Mitchell).
4-1-ARI29 (13:47) S.Player punts 37 yards to KC 34, impetus ends at KC 36, Center-N.Hodel, out of bounds.

As soon as the Cardinals lined up for the punt I told my son the Chief score here and the Cardinals will lose. Cardinals were still up by 10 but the previous series on offense showed the coaching staff was "playing to not lose."

Put this loss on the coaching staff. The players played well enough to win.

These two things seem kind of mutually exclusive to me. I'm sorry, but if your offensive line can't man up enough to gain one yard when it sets the team up to ice the game, you can't blame that on playcalling or the coaching staff. That was the talent on the field turtling. You shouldn't have to scheme for one yard when you have a potential hall of famer toting the rock for you.

I think that the blame for this loss gets spread around. The blame for the loss is probably most on Neil Rackers who turtled when the team needed him the most. The blame for not-winning probably goes on conservative playcalling in the third quarter (when the Cards deserved to step on their necks), the untimely loss of Larry Fitzgerald, the blocked punt (thanks, Marcel!), and a bunch of other little things. This isn't Dennis Green tanking a game or Warner fumbling away a chip shot figgie (though that doesn't look nearly as automatic now, does it?); there's plenty of blame to go around here.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew we were in for a potentially disastrous afternoon when all of the parking workers were drinking water...ARROWHEAD water. :|

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
the one thing that got my blood pressure to rise was the situation of 3rd and inches. they hand the ball off to get the first down. history has shown everyone that the cardinals are not very good in short and inches. the cardinals have a big ass qb why didn't they call a qb sneak.

also i don't know if anyone has mentioned this the byrant johnson drop ball for a touchdown. that was a heck of a throw by leinart. the miss tackle by dansby to allow larry johnson to go in for the touchdown. of course penalities and turnovers help the cheifs win today.

those are some negatives about the game. i like to give some positives about the game.

the defense have been tackling better. berry is playing better than what he has been. leinart did better than what i expected him to. he looked poised and made some plays. they coaches started to use the play action. that has been something i have been preaching since the first game. the offensive line looked better. they also picked up the blitz better than what they have had.

as everyone know, the cardinals will have to exucute better when they go up againist the chicago bears monday night. the offensive line is going to have the best game of their playing career in order to for the cardinals to win. the cardinals look like they are starting to get it together. it might be a little to late for the playoffs, but you never know.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the cardinals have a big ass qb why didn't they call a qb sneak.

They did not do this because Step can't get any push. I said this to my endzone friends "this SHOULD be a qb sneak, but we won't do it because step cant push off the ball."

I still thought we'd pick up an inch on the run. :( Play of the game, IMO.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
These two things seem kind of mutually exclusive to me. I'm sorry, but if your offensive line can't man up enough to gain one yard when it sets the team up to ice the game, you can't blame that on playcalling or the coaching staff. That was the talent on the field turtling. You shouldn't have to scheme for one yard when you have a potential hall of famer toting the rock for you.

I think that the blame for this loss gets spread around. The blame for the loss is probably most on Neil Rackers who turtled when the team needed him the most. The blame for not-winning probably goes on conservative playcalling in the third quarter (when the Cards deserved to step on their necks), the untimely loss of Larry Fitzgerald, the blocked punt (thanks, Marcel!), and a bunch of other little things. This isn't Dennis Green tanking a game or Warner fumbling away a chip shot figgie (though that doesn't look nearly as automatic now, does it?); there's plenty of blame to go around here.

C'mon man you aren't gonna call out Bryant "stone hands whenever I am in the endzone" Johnson???? He makes that catch and we win the game. He has a history of dropping TD catches.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Game plan? D Green? Tackles? L.Davis?

I hardly know what to say other than we are not a very good TEAM! We have some good receivers, a developing young QB but after that we are marginal at best across the board. Our coaching staff and in particular Green does not appear to know what he wants to do or can do. We have assembled the wrong players at the wrong place at the wrong time. There is no one thing we can do and only if we draft strong and make good trades and finally get the right coach and GM can we ever dig out of this mess we are in.

We were sort of led to believe we would be a much better team than our record show which makes all this really hurt. We are not now and never were a playoff team. I suspect the Bidwills must hurt worse than us as this has to be an embarrassment to them after all the hype of signing James and the new stadium.

Well! There is always next year and as usual I will be cheering them on. It is a sad day in Little Rock.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
We got up 14-0 and got too conservative.

Just like in TWO previous losses...somehow we need to be reminded that we are the Cardinals and we NEVER have enough points to get conservative...whether it is an "un-called hold", a dropped TD pass, a false start, a turnover at the worst time...it WILL HAPPEN and we need EXTRA scores to PREPARE for IT!

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I thought Dennis Green did a better job taking over some play calling responsibilities. It was just some poor execution. Bryant Johnson could have had that TD. Edge had 2 chances to get 1 yard. Neil Rackers missed his 3rd field goal of the season. The o-line was the biggest reason for the loss. There was no run blocking whatsoever and pass blocking was below average. Those guys are just bad. I think that's the reason we lost. Our secondary wasn't great either. They were fortunate that KC dropped the passes they did. I saw quite a few times were their recievers had good seperations.

I don't blame Denny for this one. It was a well played game, just a few miscues and I guess you can blame Denny and Graves for bringing in Brown and no one else.

I am not blaming any one person for this loss. If Green was calling all the plays from ground level then I do have a problem with that. Most teams around the NFL have guys high up in the sky who have a much better view of things going on and are in a better position to see what might work and might not. I can only assume our guy was giving his suggestion to Denny and he was taking much of it into his play calling if he indeed was making the calls.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i don't know why people are saying the cardinals were to conservative. i feel the cardinals weren't conservative enough. when they went up 20-10 they should have been running the ball. this game was lost because the cardinals couldn't get the running game going and couldn't get a 4 minute drive going late in the fourth qaurter. when you are ahead in late in the 4th that is when the running game is the most valuable. remeber the cardinals didn't lose the lead until after the 2 minute warning. the cardinals couldn't get a drive going and they couldn't stop the chiefs from scoring. it doesn't matter anyway. the chicago bears are next and the cardinals better find an A game.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team - given the talent it has (and doesn't have) at certain positions - cannot afford to play inspired football just 93% of the time. The other 7% is killing us.

(Those numbers are arbitrary - they're just intended to illustrate my point).

Take away (a) the Law pick, (b) the B Johson drop, (c) the L Johnson scamper, (d) the 50 yard kickoff return by Webb, (e) the 4 Leinart sacks, (f) the blocked punt and (g) Leonard's 2 flags and we win the game easily.

No team is going to eliminate every mistake, but some teams (particularly those with better offensive lines) can get away with making a bunch of mistakes and still finding a way to win. Our margin of error is narrower.

However, I don't think we're that far away from turning the corner and urge our players not to get disheartened and our fans not to bail.

I think we're "this close" but we will not see a gradual improvement in wins as we improve gradually. Instead, after a period of gradual improvement in all aspects of the game, a bunch of wins will come suddenly - like the priming of a pump (you crank the handle for 5 minutes and nothing happens. Then, during minute #6, the water comes gushing out).

For this reason, I feel it's important our players focus on maintaining their high effort and work ethic, getting just a little better every day and bearing down mentally and physically on every single play.

The wins will come so long as no one gets discouraged.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well! There is always next year and as usual I will be cheering them on. It is a sad day in Little Rock.

After Arkansas beat Auburn? Can't be that sad.

Leonard's 2 flags and we win the game easi

Leonard's had 3 flags. Two by Davis, one by Pope.

Just like in TWO previous losses...somehow we need to be reminded that we are the Cardinals and we NEVER have enough points to get conservative...whether it is an "un-called hold", a dropped TD pass, a false start, a turnover at the worst time...it WILL HAPPEN and we need EXTRA scores to PREPARE for IT!

Now there is somebody who actually understands Cardinal football.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
C'mon man you aren't gonna call out Bryant "stone hands whenever I am in the endzone" Johnson???? He makes that catch and we win the game. He has a history of dropping TD catches.

Add it to the list, but I'm not putting the onus soley on him. That's Fitz's route, and if he's able to stay on the field, then we win the game, as well, but I don't think that the B. Johnson drop is as important as the failure to convert 2nd-and-1 on the 29.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Add it to the list, but I'm not putting the onus soley on him. That's Fitz's route, and if he's able to stay on the field, then we win the game, as well, but I don't think that the B. Johnson drop is as important as the failure to convert 2nd-and-1 on the 29.

k-9 you need to rethink that bj statement. 6 points on the baord is more important than converting on a 2nd down and short situation. i will take 6 points every time over converting on 2nd down. at least i have another down to get the first down, but getting a 2nd chance at a touchdown is a lot harder.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
k-9 you need to rethink that bj statement. 6 points on the baord is more important than converting on a 2nd down and short situation. i will take 6 points every time over converting on 2nd down. at least i have another down to get the first down, but getting a 2nd chance at a touchdown is a lot harder.

Think about the situation, though. The TD is obviously important, but that would have made the score 27-10 in the third quarter, and while it would have helped, it wouldn't have been the nail in the proverbial coffin.

If you look at the failure to gain one yard in two tries, it totally set the tone for the rest of the quarter where we decided that we couldn't run the ball, and thus couldn't run the clock. If we gain that yard, and move even into field goal position on that drive, eating up another two minutes or so and really committing to get Edge 100 yards, then I think that the game is over.

I didn't think that the game was over when #80 dropped the TD, but when we couldn't get that one yard, it was a huge momentum changer.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Ahh no more excuses for this bum. He has dropped TD passes the whole time he has been a Cardinal. Whoever's route it is doesn't matter. He has to step up and make the catch. I agree not converting on short and third is serious but that was a sure 6 he let go.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Think about the situation, though. The TD is obviously important, but that would have made the score 27-10 in the third quarter, and while it would have helped, it wouldn't have been the nail in the proverbial coffin.

If you look at the failure to gain one yard in two tries, it totally set the tone for the rest of the quarter where we decided that we couldn't run the ball, and thus couldn't run the clock. If we gain that yard, and move even into field goal position on that drive, eating up another two minutes or so and really committing to get Edge 100 yards, then I think that the game is over.

I didn't think that the game was over when #80 dropped the TD, but when we couldn't get that one yard, it was a huge momentum changer.

I respectfully disagree K9. "Stone hands" makes that catch and we win 27-23.