Sorry People!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by artp
Josh has earned the starting job in 2004. We don't need to sign another FA QB. But, we have to draft a franchise QB. We will have competition in camp with a new HC. Lets go from there.

I agree. Draft a QB first, or don't draft one at all. There's nothing wrong with having two, or three, really good QB's on the roster.

I know we need defense too, but what defensive player can you get exicted about drafting at #2 or #1? I can't think of any who wouldn't worry me more than Manning or Ben R.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i'll give josh his due, i think he played a pretty composed game today. was he great? no. did he stink? no. i thought he played well for his second start, on the road, against a superior team that was fighting for a playoff spot. did he change the organization's desire for a qb in the draft? i hope not. when you've got the shot at a franchise qb, you take it, even if you think you may have something already. an embarrassment of riches at the qb position is never really an embarrassment at all.

but man did the oline SUCK today. throughout the game i saw glaring gaffs by TINY (i just can't call the girlyman "big" anymore), spikes (man, he just whiffed on two blocks COMPLETELY) and clement in useless. sad, we have so much cashola locked up in 'em and they suck. maybe a new regime will light a fire in 'em. we can only pray.

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
Sportscenter reported this weekend that Kurt Warner may join the cardinals. We were on a short list.

Now I know that there are a lot of rumors floating about trades and the draft but what if?

Would we go with Manning or Rothlishamburglar in the draft. Then drop Blake for Warner in order to give our high draft pick time to learn the NFL?

Or are we playing up McCown as trade bait for Warner?

Do chickens have lips?

I can't wait for the whole coaching change, draft etc. thing to play out.

And I hope I not disappointed with any "we can get 'um cheap stuff either.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I hope we don't go after Warner - another Emmitt Smith mistake. If we draft Ben or Eli, great! Four fight it out, if two place higher than Blake, then we release Blake and carry a young QB pool. If Blake finishes high, put the fourth on the practice squad or trade away.

Second Deck

Registered
Reaction score
When you see the blitz coming and still take 5 sec to get rid of the ball. I still wamt to see Parsons vs Vikqueens. We had better draft Ben or Eli or I am done as a season ticket holder. We have drafted so bad in the past and this is a slam dunk.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh has done okay, but the Cards would be fools not to draft a franchise QB. Looks like we will get the first or second pick, so it's either Eli or Ben.

If they don't draft a QB, I don't know what I'm gonna do.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I keep thinking that the management is trying to decide if we need Blake next year. No knock on Blake but, if McCown does ok, we can start the season with him as #1 QB while Eli or Ben learn. That way Parsons can stay.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Not Insanity

Originally posted by Northern Card
What borders on insane, is anyone confusing McCown with McNown.... :D

Not insanity.....just stupidity.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bellingham Mike
Geez He completes 62.5 % of his
passes for a 11 ypa, no picks while
getting killed all game and all he gets
is grief.

YPC, not YPA, big difference.

he played well, not spectacular but well, he didn't lose the game by himself and he didn't win it. Better player than I thought.

Anybody want to tell me again we should sign Mike McMahon? With his 4-11 yesterday he RAISED his % for the year to 29 but lowered his passer rating to 12 with a rousing 8.1 rating. I can't figure that guy out he's horrible but fans seem to love him, there was a thread on the Denver board Friday about how they should get him to back up Jake next year.

Josh has talent but his mental makeup scares me he just gets too nervous. I think Graves hit it on the head.

spanky

All Star
Reaction score
I thought that McCown played a solid game yesterday. The only thing that I noticed was that he has to release the ball quicker than he does. No O-Line can pass protect forever and he needs to learn to see the field quicker and release sooner. Otherwise he throws well, can scramble and can take a licking.

For all you "draft a franchise QB" lobbyists........show me one other QB who in his first two games has thrown only one interception........and against teams who needed to beat us in order to make the playoffs (Carolina and Seahawks) and who have pretty darn stout defenses.

Also, if Rackers had of hit the two field goals and the refs had of not screwed up on Boldin's first TD, we would have been in this game until the very end.........the same thing can be said against Carolina. McCown has starting QB talent and no one can talk me out of that statement.

Hell, Mike McMahon in Detroit is terrible and yet they still consider him to be a QB on par with Harrington. What's that say about drafting "franchise QB's".

No give me Fitzgerald with our #1 and I'll be a very happy camper.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Mediocrity

"No O-Line can pass protect forever"

That should be on our o-line t-shirts:
WE CAN'T PASS PROTECT FOREVER AND WE RUN BLOCK NEVER

"he needs to learn to see the field quicker and release sooner. Otherwise he throws well, can scramble and can take a licking."

I like Josh...but who would you rather have as your starting QB?....Josh...Eli...or Big Ben?......if you think Josh is better then that's your opinion.

"For all you "draft a franchise QB" lobbyists"

Anyone who's a "there's no such thing as a franchise QB" lobbyist is a loser.

Can you say Peyton Manning....I knew you could.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by spanky
I
Hell, Mike McMahon in Detroit is terrible and yet they still consider him to be a QB on par with Harrington. What's that say about drafting "franchise QB's".

No give me Fitzgerald with our #1 and I'll be a very happy camper.

Harrington wasn't considered a franchise QB, everyone said detroit reached taking him. He's a pretty good QB, terrific at not getting sacked, but he also has had nobody to throw the ball to for 2 years now(after Rogers got hurt).

Franchise QB's don't fix a team overnight, but neither do 3rd year Qb's who are really raw like Josh is.

he's done some very nice things in his 2 starts but I'm still convinced he's not worth passing on Ben or Manning, you can never have too many good QB prospects in the NFL, they're just too valuable.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rowland Price
When you see the blitz coming and still take 5 sec to get rid of the ball. I still wamt to see Parsons vs Vikqueens. We had better draft Ben or Eli or I am done as a season ticket holder. We have drafted so bad in the past and this is a slam dunk.

Nothing like an overexageration.

:rolleyes:

Northern Card

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
Harrington wasn't considered a franchise QB, everyone said detroit reached taking him. He's a pretty good QB, terrific at not getting sacked, but he also has had nobody to throw the ball to for 2 years now(after Rogers got hurt).

Franchise QB's don't fix a team overnight, but neither do 3rd year Qb's who are really raw like Josh is.

he's done some very nice things in his 2 starts but I'm still convinced he's not worth passing on Ben or Manning, you can never have too many good QB prospects in the NFL, they're just too valuable.

Russ... her's my silly scenario for the off-season.

We hire Fassell. He, in turn - convinces Graves to engineer the following: 1) we trade our No.1 and our 4th. rounder for the Giants number one and two - and recieve Jesse Palmer in the bargain. We have two young and talented QBs to fight for the no. 1 job next year... and we have 4 picks in the first 100 in the upcoming draft.

I declare my bias. Jesse's parents live a few streets down...

spanky

All Star
Reaction score
Re: Mediocrity

Originally posted by BuckeyeCardinal
"No O-Line can pass protect forever"

That should be on our o-line t-shirts:
WE CAN'T PASS PROTECT FOREVER AND WE RUN BLOCK NEVER

"he needs to learn to see the field quicker and release sooner. Otherwise he throws well, can scramble and can take a licking."

I like Josh...but who would you rather have as your starting QB?....Josh...Eli...or Big Ben?......if you think Josh is better then that's your opinion.

"For all you "draft a franchise QB" lobbyists"

Anyone who's a "there's no such thing as a franchise QB" lobbyist is a loser.

Can you say Peyton Manning....I knew you could.

Buckeye,

Define the term loser and I'll respond to this part of your post......

Peyton Manning has won ****.......yes he's a good QB but he ain't no Favre....ain't no Elway......ain't no Aitman......ain't no Montana. How many of these guys were #1 picks. No Peyton hasn't won a big game yet (and he didn't again last night). My point is...... rarely does a #1 QB pick win you a SB. There is a HUGE, HUGE difference in being the best QB a franchise has ever had versus being a "franchise QB". Manning is the former........the others I've mentioned are the latters!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Mediocrity

Originally posted by spanky
Buckeye,

Define the term loser and I'll respond to this part of your post......

Peyton Manning has won ****.......yes he's a good QB but he ain't no Favre....ain't no Elway......ain't no Aitman......ain't no Montana. How many of these guys were #1 picks. No Peyton hasn't won a big game yet (and he didn't again last night). My point is...... rarely does a #1 QB pick win you a SB. There is a HUGE, HUGE difference in being the best QB a franchise has ever had versus being a "franchise QB". Manning is the former........the others I've mentioned are the latters!

uh, Aikman and Elways were both first picks. Spanky what teams are in the playoffs year after year after year for the the last oh say five years? Vikings, Titans, Colts, Eagles - what do those teams all have in common - could it be franchise QBs taken in the top ten? If you actually do draft a guy who can be a franchise QB, you're talking about success for a decade. As far as your rarely does a numebr pick win you a Super Bowl in the last 11 years, five of those Super Bowl winners were headed by number picks - Elway and Aikman and where have Daunte (two Conference championship games) McNabb (two and it looks like possibly three conference championship games) and McNair (Super Bowl and two conference championship games) - I mean that's a lot of very high QB first rounders who have had huge success.

We're the Cards - do you really think we are going to "uncover" the next great QB - or do you think judging on history and our curse that we need as much help as possible at finding that guy? I'm going with as much help as possible and the number 2 pick with two studs coming out looks like it should be the trick.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Josh has earned the starting job in 2004.
Not yet.

He took a step or two backward yesterday. He still doesn't look like he really knows what to do in various pressure situations, and until he does must remain a promising questionmark.

I'll concede that he hung tough yesterday and made some killer throws. But they were sandwiched between some inaccurate passes and not always very good decision-making.

I don't believe this team or any team can afford to go into a new season with a questionmark at the top of the roster food-chain. He's getting there, but I wouldn't bet the store on him just yet.

One thing we keep forgetting is that when the field general makes mistakes (however justified) you can hear the air escape from his teammates with a great big "whooosh!" It isn't fair to them not to be rock solid at QB.

If Manning and/or Roethlisberger are there when we pick, I think we still have to take this option seriously.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
Josh has earned the starting job in 2004.
Not yet.

He took a step or two backward yesterday. He still doesn't look like he really knows what to do in various pressure situations, and until he does must remain a promising questionmark.

I'll concede that he hung tough yesterday and made some killer throws. But they were sandwiched between some inaccurate passes and not always very good decision-making.

I don't believe this team or any team can afford to go into a new season with a questionmark at the top of the roster food-chain. He's getting there, but I wouldn't bet the store on him just yet.

One thing we keep forgetting is that when the field general makes mistakes (however justified) you can hear the air escape from his teammates with a great big "whooosh!" It isn't fair to them not to be rock solid at QB.

If Manning and/or Roethlisberger are there when we pick, I think we still have to take this option seriously.

Jeff for all intensive purposes McCown is no different than a rookie QB out there. The things you are describing that you dont like are going to be the same things you will see from any high draft pick QB who is new to the NFL.

So thats where I dont see why you have a problem with it????

The kid is going to have growing pains just the same as any #1 pick would. He didnt take steps back yesterday he moved forward! It was better than the Carolina game not worse. Playing behind a makeshift poopy O-line in a hostile road game against a team in a must win situation. The kid came away glowing!

Oh and Russ sorry but I must completely disagree with you. Harrington was most certainly considered a franchise QB coming out of college!

Northern Card

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
Jeff for all intensive purposes McCown is no different than a rookie QB out there. The things you are describing that you dont like are going to be the same things you will see from any high draft pick QB who is new to the NFL.

So thats where I dont see why you have a problem with it????

The kid is going to have growing pains just the same as any #1 pick would. He didnt take steps back yesterday he moved forward! It was better than the Carolina game not worse. Playing behind a makeshift poopy O-line in a hostile road game against a team in a must win situation. The kid came away glowing!

Oh and Russ sorry but I must completely disagree with you. Harrington was most certainly considered a franchise QB coming out of college!

FYI .. for all "intent and purpose" :D

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05