Speed and our WRs

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I don't know exactly what Gilmore's 40 time was but I do know the guy was faster than David Boston and maybe anyone else on the team, at least before Gilmore's injury. McAddley runs like a 4.41 and therefore he is faster than David Boston was as well. We also know how fast Jenkins is but I won't count him till he is resigned. Kasper reminds me of a young Frank Sanders or Pat Tilley and really like Poole (though Poole is going to blow past anyone). I'm sorry, but any CB that cares about his job will worry some when he faces the speed Gilmore and McAddley do have.
AND NO I"M NOT SAYING THEY ARE EVEN EQUAL TO A HEALTHY WITH HIS MIND ACTUALLY ON THE GAME AND HIS HANDS WORKING BOSTON, but they don't stink. As I said in a post, when we had Boston we where all pumped about our young WRs and now we lost Boston and everyone says the young guys now stink? What? The faith of Boston has nothing to do with how well these guys have played and we should give them some credit. I also really think Frank Sander's veteran pressence would help these young guys. Who do you think they turned to last year when all the starters where hurt? I would venture Frank Sanders helped the young guys more than David Boston did. Oh yeah... I DID NOT SAY THAT DAVID BOSTON IS A BAD GUY , JUST SANDERS IS MORE OF A TEACHER THAN BOSTON PROBABLY IS AT THIS TIME. Boston can teach one a thing or two about weight lifting though.

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
I hope our WRs don't put the fear of God into anyone. When the first opposing team (forgive me for not knowing who we play first in '03) stacks eight men in the box and (fill in QB name here) hits McAddley for a big play, you'll start seeing some respect.

Last year our young WRs were the talk of the town. I saw both McAddley and Kasper improve each game - imagine what a good offseason will do for each. Gilmore is an unknown but I'm anxious to see what he brings.

We do need to resign Martay or Sanders and possibly bring in a WR but we're not in as bad of a situation as everybody thinks. Name the Ravens' best receiver when they won the Bowl? How 'bout the Pats? Teams can win without a "marquee" (sp) receiver.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Some of

the most intelligent and rational posts I've read in since free agency began.

JD Robertson

Registered
Reaction score
Just because we don't have a "franchise" wr people are saying we have no pass offense. I think the young guys will do fine and have something to prove to everybody. They looked ok last year during Boston's injuries and after he went on DL. If we can get a qb to get them the ball we should be ok.

JD

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
It's refreshing to see folks post while wearing rose colored glasses. I don't mean that offensively, I just believe that's what's going on here with respect to our current crop of recievers.

I prefer to look at things with (what I believe) is a little more objectivity. By that I mean this:

I knew David Boston's name when he was a freshman at Ohio State and when he was embarrassing Charles Woodson (when Woodson was at Michigan). There is a reason I knew his name. It's because he was that good. Same as I knew Plaxico Burress', Randy Moss', etc. etc.

I had to do research just to find out anything about our current guys (except for Kaspar). While they may pan out to be decent recievers, they aren't going to strike fear into anyone. If they became free agents tommorrow, no GM would care. While I can sit here and name all of the Steelers recievers (and I am not a Steeler fan) I doubt the same could be said if you asked anyone outside of this state to name our starting recievers.

Just trying to make a point from a different perspective.

(oh, Gilmore is just barely faster than DB, and that's after DB shot up to 243)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
More important than speed is ability to run routes, shiftyness, cunning, experience, and hands (Just ask Jerry Rice or Tim Brown). From what I've seen of these guys we have, they're pretty much lacking in all of these categories. Fast guys are good, but only out of the slot (see Jerry Porter), especially if they can't catch (see Jason McAddley).

I'd much rather have a WR that runs a 4.65 but can go over the middle and camoflage his speed and moves that three guys that can run 4.4s but alligator-arm everything and refuse to run between the hash marks (see Raghib Ismael).

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you even watch some the circus catches Jason made last year ?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I saw every Cards game last season, and for every circus catch, there were at least two drops on easy catches. I would rather have a guy that made every easy one and misses or knocks down the poorly thrown balls.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by HarleyRider
Sorta the reverse of Frank Sanders :)

Actually, Frank caught a lot of the bad balls, but he didn't make a whole scene about it. He made it look easy. Especially on 3rd downs.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
I saw every Cards game last season, and for every circus catch, there were at least two drops on easy catches. I would rather have a guy that made every easy one and misses or knocks down the poorly thrown balls.

He came off the practice squad seven games into the season, catches 25 balls, and for the last four games of the season lines up as our number one. That's it. That's all there is to McAddley at this point.

Was he successful in his debut, or not?

PS: Your "2 drops for every circus catch" stat is a steaming pile.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
He came off the practice squad seven games into the season, catches 25 balls, and for the last four games of the season lines up as our number one. That's it. That's all there is to McAddley at this point.

He was definitely successful given the circumstances 11. He certainly didn't light it up and with some polishing, he can improve greatly. Hopefully, he is getting that coaching this offseason to run sharper routes and keep the drops from becoming a regular occurence.

Now, personally, I am not comfortable going into the season with Gilmore/McAddley/Kasper as #1-3 but clearly they can all make plays...they did just that this past season. The Cards just need a #1 guy and I think they are "ok" again. Nobody will be able to fill DBs missing shoes but we don't neeed someone to do that. We just need a guy who is a bonafide #1.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Cards results, 2002, last 9 games:

Oct. 27 @San Francisco Loss 38-28
Nov. 3 St. Louis Loss 27-14
Nov. 10 Seattle Loss 27-6
Nov. 17 @Philadelphia Loss 38-14
Nov. 24 Oakland Loss 41-20
Dec. 1 @Kansas City Loss 49-0
Dec. 8 Detroit Win 23-20 (OT)
Dec. 15 @St. Louis Loss 30-28
Dec. 21 San Francisco Loss 17-14
Dec. 29 @Denver Loss 37-7

You tell me, was this a successful tenure? Success is not measured in stats, it's measured in W's. You tell me. Those 69 points we scored in the games that he started are sure impressive.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by HarleyRider
It's refreshing to see folks post while wearing rose colored glasses. I don't mean that offensively, I just believe that's what's going on here with respect to our current crop of recievers.

I prefer to look at things with (what I believe) is a little more objectivity. By that I mean this:

I knew David Boston's name when he was a freshman at Ohio State and when he was embarrassing Charles Woodson (when Woodson was at Michigan). There is a reason I knew his name. It's because he was that good. Same as I knew Plaxico Burress', Randy Moss', etc. etc.

I had to do research just to find out anything about our current guys (except for Kaspar). While they may pan out to be decent recievers, they aren't going to strike fear into anyone. If they became free agents tommorrow, no GM would care. While I can sit here and name all of the Steelers recievers (and I am not a Steeler fan) I doubt the same could be said if you asked anyone outside of this state to name our starting recievers.

Realistically we cannot expect to much from this team next year. The only guy I think who will be a name to remember is BIG. He is the real deal. Our guys we draft will be new and inexperienced. We will not have a good QB any way you look at it. The remaining QB's in FA are so so and we really have marginal receivers. We are losing our best DB and he was not great but adequate. No lineman are household words. Even if we happen to get 1-2 decent DL in FA that is not going to make us a contender. Good teams generally have a core of starters that have been together for a few years and an experienced QB. One would have to really stretch the imagination to see us anywhere near the playoffs. I just hope we draft for the future and not for just next year. This is why I think we need a good QB with potential in this draft. It does not have to be Leftwich it might be Bulger. Just hope our management team is smart when we draft and that we start thinking this year about who we want to keep long term and not wait until the last moment to try and extend their contract.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Success is not measured in stats, it's measured in W's

Well no ****. That's a brilliant analysis.

Nobody is saying he's a world-beater, or a #1, or an All Pro.
All that was said was he's fast, he improved and he has potential.
Where's the problem with that?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Actually, Frank caught a lot of the bad balls, but he didn't make a whole scene about it. He made it look easy. Especially on 3rd downs.

With the corps of receivers we have now if there was one guy that I would go to in a game winning situationit is Frank Sanders. He is a proven commodity. The rest of the guys have not been to war and lack his experience. We need to keep Frank even if he is slower. He will take it across the middle and be a positive force in the locker room.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Well no ****. That's a brilliant analysis.

Nobody is saying he's a world-beater, or a #1, or an All Pro.
All that was said was he's fast, he improved and he has potential.
Where's the problem with that?

Hey the filter works!

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
More of a joke

"Speed and Our Wrs"

1) I thought it was coke
2) Now that Boston is gone, I thought they switched to Pepsi:thumbup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads