Spurs vs Lakers (Western Conference Finals)

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am sure the young Hornets would disagree. While the Spurs are old the guys that matter Parker, Duncan, Ginobli are not that old. It still comes down to experience and coaching, coaching is a push and experience clearly goes to the Spurs. The Lakers team is fairly young and inexperienced, wait until they have to deal with some adversity like losing a few games and the pressure increases, they have had it easy up until this point. They couldn't have had a much easier path to the WCF, and thats sometimes not a great thing.

sLapzsHaQ

I am a mushroomhead...
Reaction score
The Lakers have too much youth, firepower and athleticism for the Spurs. San Antonio is old and will get worn down.

I think the Hornets got also that youth, firepower, and athleticism. One thing lacking about them is depth, which the Lakers have. And the Lakers got Kobe.

The Spurs would lose game 1 pretty bad. They spent a night on the tarmac, and they are not well rested. Though I expect them to come up big on games 3 and 4.

And Kobe should watch that tight back, and his finger, because Horry would definitely gonna watch them.. :D

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers win in 6.

Toughest/closest games will be games 4 and 6, which the Lakers will win both of, in SA.

G1: LW
G2: LW
G3: SW
G4: LW
G5: SW
G6: LW

Kobe likes playing in San Antone, and the Lakes are due a loss on their home court.

BigJit

Veteran
Reaction score
I think the Hornets got also that youth, firepower, and athleticism. One thing lacking about them is depth, which the Lakers have. And the Lakers got Kobe.

The Spurs would lose game 1 pretty bad. They spent a night on the tarmac, and they are not well rested. Though I expect them to come up big on games 3 and 4.

And Kobe should watch that tight back, and his finger, because Horry would definitely gonna watch them.. :D

And if Horry/Bowen do test Kobe's back or finger, EVERYONE is gonna say it's dirty. :rolleyes:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers win in 6.

Toughest/closest games will be games 4 and 6, which the Lakers will win both of, in SA.

G1: LW
G2: LW
G3: SW
G4: LW
G5: SW
G6: LW

Kobe likes playing in San Antone, and the Lakes are due a loss on their home court.

4-2 to the defending Champs? Wow...that's either wishful thinking or don't have much respect for the Spurs. Nothing would surprise me in this series though. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4-2 outcome in favor of the Spurs. I wouldn't be surprised to see this go 7.

I am hoping for a Spurs-Detroit finals so that the ratings suck once again for the finals. Of course with the Spurs losing which will send their team into the abyss of perpetual losing for the next 10 years.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4-2 to the defending Champs? Wow...that's either wishful thinking or don't have much respect for the Spurs. Nothing would surprise me in this series though. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4-2 outcome in favor of the Spurs. I wouldn't be surprised to see this go 7.

I am hoping for a Spurs-Detroit finals so that the ratings suck once again for the finals. Of course with the Spurs losing which will send their team into the abyss of perpetual losing for the next 10 years.

I don't have a lot of respect for the Spurs...Lakers depth is better. Ariza back will help contain Ginobli. Lakers winning in Utah to close out said a lot to me as well...plus they came close to winning the other two in Utah.

I have a lot of other reasons too, but I have to got shovel a couple of tons of dirt.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I am sure the young Hornets would disagree. While the Spurs are old the guys that matter Parker, Duncan, Ginobli are not that old. It still comes down to experience and coaching, coaching is a push and experience clearly goes to the Spurs. The Lakers team is fairly young and inexperienced, wait until they have to deal with some adversity like losing a few games and the pressure increases, they have had it easy up until this point. They couldn't have had a much easier path to the WCF, and thats sometimes not a great thing.

You mean like losing games 3 and 4 to Utah and then coming back and winning the next two, including closing out Utah on the road? That kind of pressure?

cly2tw

Reaction score
And if Horry/Bowen do test Kobe's back or finger, EVERYONE is gonna say it's dirty. :rolleyes:

Is it not? Was Malone's elbow testing Robinson's neck strength dirty or not? You closet Spurs fans are so.........

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fully expect that Bowen will test Kobe's hand. He IS dirty.

Kobe won't have Horry taking a swipe at his back, he'll just go right at him.

I'll figure out if the play is dirty or not when I see it...the series will be physical though.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Losing a couple of games to Utah is not pressure sorry. Lakers were a more talented team than Utah, and Utah is no where near the veteran caliber team that the Spurs are. Utah and LA would have been a 7 game series if the stupid Jazz knew how to close out the last few minutes of game 6, but they aren't the Spurs. I think its funny how some of you Lakers fans assume you have the Spurs in the bag, kinda like Suns and Hornets fans thought huh? God this series sucks because I want both teams to lose.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow just checking out the ESPN experts picks, and once again Hollinger proves how much of a moron he is. Everyone has a 6 or 7 with 6 out of 10 picking the Lakers, but the idiot Hollinger has the Lakers in 5, I mean I can't believe this guy gets paid to be such a moron. IF and thats a big IF the Lakers win this series it will be a hard fought 6 probally 7 game series. Once again I am curious how you Lakers fans feel like your gonna score on the Spurs?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow just checking out the ESPN experts picks, and once again Hollinger proves how much of a moron he is. Everyone has a 6 or 7 with 6 out of 10 picking the Lakers, but the idiot Hollinger has the Lakers in 5, I mean I can't believe this guy gets paid to be such a moron. IF and thats a big IF the Lakers win this series it will be a hard fought 6 probally 7 game series. Once again I am curious how you Lakers fans feel like your gonna score on the Spurs?

He actually has an entire article on why he picked it that way, if you wanted to read it instead of bashing him blindly. Not that I care, I don't like the guy.

FYI, it's numbers based...as is EVERYTHING with that guy...his biggest weakness.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Almost an impossible choice. The Lakers are the longest running rival in my life as a sports fan. But I do not want to see many of the Spurs individual players hoisting the trophy. If they can guarantee that only Brent Barry, Kurt Thomas, and Michael Finley get to touch the actual trophy, I could maybe live with it.

In any case, I'm rooting for Detroit from here on out...

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty much all the so called experts picked the Suns/Spurs series to go at least 6 games and it didn't.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Losing a couple of games to Utah is not pressure sorry. Lakers were a more talented team than Utah, and Utah is no where near the veteran caliber team that the Spurs are. Utah and LA would have been a 7 game series if the stupid Jazz knew how to close out the last few minutes of game 6, but they aren't the Spurs. I think its funny how some of you Lakers fans assume you have the Spurs in the bag, kinda like Suns and Hornets fans thought huh? God this series sucks because I want both teams to lose.
If the Jazz knew how to close out the last few minutes of game 6? The Lakers were the ones with a big lead that evaporated. If the Lakers knew how to close the game out it wouldn't have been close.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think its funny how some of you Lakers fans assume you have the Spurs in the bag, kinda like Suns and Hornets fans thought huh?

I think the overwhelming majority of Lakers lovers here have a healthy fear of the Spurs. A few (Darth for one) were scared of Utah and that game came down to a road win in game 6. Not sure what your point is here.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
The Lakers should be favored because of their balance. Kobe has been dominant in the playoffs with averages of 33.3 points, 6.3 rebounds and 6.8 assists.

Lamar Odom (15.6 points, 10.7 rebounds in the playoffs); Derek Fisher (11.9 points, 2.7 steals); Pau Gasol (20.0 points, 8.6 rebounds, 4.5 assists) make Los Angeles a balanced team.

And if the Spurs want to "pack it inside", Vujacic, Radmanovich, Fish and Kobe can all hit the three.

BigJit

Veteran
Reaction score
I fully expect that Bowen will test Kobe's hand. He IS dirty.

Kobe won't have Horry taking a swipe at his back, he'll just go right at him.

I'll figure out if the play is dirty or not when I see it...the series will be physical though.

Why would that be dirty? Would you not want one of your players to test an injury that Parker , Ginobli or Duncan might have? Or do you want them to just back off and give the injured player the benefit of the doubt and not take a chance on hurting them more? Your asking to lose if thats the case.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah because the Spurs give up a ton of open 3's...come on. You have had a pretty easy road to the WCF thats why your dominant numbers come up. We shall see how your power house Lakers team stands up against a team that plays D and you match up with terribly. By the way who's gonna stop Duncan, Parker, Floppy??

BigJit

Veteran
Reaction score
The Lakers should be favored because of their balance. Kobe has been dominant in the playoffs with averages of 33.3 points, 6.3 rebounds and 6.8 assists.

Lamar Odom (15.6 points, 10.7 rebounds in the playoffs); Derek Fisher (11.9 points, 2.7 steals); Pau Gasol (20.0 points, 8.6 rebounds, 4.5 assists) make Los Angeles a balanced team.

And if the Spurs want to "pack it inside", Vujacic, Radmanovich, Fish and Kobe can all hit the three.

Yeah, cause we know those 2 in particular are so clutch on a consistant basis. :biglaugh:

Last edited:

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
He actually has an entire article on why he picked it that way, if you wanted to read it instead of bashing him blindly. Not that I care, I don't like the guy.

FYI, it's numbers based...as is EVERYTHING with that guy...his biggest weakness.

Hollinger's tortured use of statistics is the worst I've ever seen. Basketball is far harder to use stats with than baseball because the game is so interconnected. He routinely pulls stats out of context.

BigJit

Veteran
Reaction score
What did Sasha go for in game 6 from behind the arc? 1/11 or something like that. Real clutch.