Steve Nash Frustrated As Phoenix Suns Enter Season

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Hey guys, just ran into this article. I didn't see it posted so I'd thought you guys might want to look at it. Nash is one of my all-time favorite players even though the Suns are not my team.

"To be honest, if I was outside this picture and a betting man, I would probably pick us to be outside of the playoffs considering all the changes and the new guys," team leader Steve Nash said after Sunday's team practice.

The problem, according to Steve Nash, is that winning might be a long ways off. Nash was particularly frustrated with the process of going from a team he felt was very close to winning an NBA Championship to essentially starting over again.

"I spent four months this summer and a month this training camp feeling like I'm trying to get to the top," Nash said.

"It's hard as a competitor to convince yourself every day all summer and then through the preseason that you're going to get back to where you were and hopefully take the next step, and then you realize that camp is starting all over again and it's not quite as linear as you made it out to yourself all summer."

"We're small. We don't really have a classic four (power forward)," Steve Nash said. "We've got to overcome that in a lot of different ways and that takes a lot of time, chemistry and understanding. We're not going to have that at this point in the season."

http://arizona.sbnation.com/phoenix...ed-phoenix-suns-enter-season-with-uncertainty

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Really? He's been playing for sarver for 6 years and he finally comes to this realization?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously, if I am Nash and the season goes the way it probably will go....I would be asking for a trade come the deadline. I wouldn't blame him one bit for trying to get a ring before he is done. He sounds like a guy coming to the realization that this team is going to struggle.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously, if I am Nash and the season goes the way it probably will go....I would be asking for a trade come the deadline. I wouldn't blame him one bit for trying to get a ring before he is done. He sounds like a guy coming to the realization that this team is going to struggle.

I'd support any decision Nash makes because it is totally unrealistic he can carry a team that has taken a step backwards in the offseason. Nash has always given his all to the team.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Nash really wanted a ring he wouldn't have signed his extension with the Suns. :shrug:

Vellasco

Reaction score
Huh then, He should have joined to Miami Celebrities Club if he really eager to get a ring. Majority of us were critical for their ring hunting instead of compete from places where they belong.

I think its too early for ear drops. Uncertainty always makes some depression just like real life. I see no wrong with Nash's comments. He is lowering expectations and creating some space for early struggles, thats all. This team is having too much versatile players, so i'm sure they will somehow adapt new conditions and be a competitive team soon. Lets hope the "Soon" wont be longer than 10-15 games. As some of you said the difference btw number 4 seat and number 8 was just 4-5 games last year.

cly2tw

Reaction score
That's what majority of the board wanted, because 2 more years as contenders are not worth it to give Amare some guarantee.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Nash really wanted a ring he wouldn't have signed his extension with the Suns. :shrug:

It could be Nash fully expected the Suns to make a big move. They have gone out and gotten players since he got here. Sometimes it also takes the end of your career staring down your face before you realize maybe you want a shot before you hang em up. Nash might not want to go anywhere but his comments seem to sound like he is coming from a different place then previously.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It could be Nash fully expected the Suns to make a big move. They have gone out and gotten players since he got here. Sometimes it also takes the end of your career staring down your face before you realize maybe you want a shot before you hang em up. Nash might not want to go anywhere but his comments seem to sound like he is coming from a different place then previously.

Could be, but you don't know that. There's not even a reason to assume he thought the Suns would make a BIG move.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The real problem is that Hedo is a bust and Nash now knows it. If Hedo could be just 80% of the player he was in Orlando, the story would be different. But for some reason his game has left him.

On his best day, Hedo was a stop gap pf. Now we don't have a 4. New York overpaid, and Phoenix paid. Can't say I blame anyone in what happened. NY took the risk because they could afford it. Sarver offered a very good deal. Amare took the guaranteed money. Dems just the berries.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The real problem is that Hedo is a bust and Nash now knows it. If Hedo could be just 80% of the player he was in Orlando, the story would be different. But for some reason his game has left him.

On his best day, Hedo was a stop gap pf. Now we don't have a 4. New York overpaid, and Phoenix paid. Can't say I blame anyone in what happened. NY took the risk because they could afford it. Sarver offered a very good deal. Amare took the guaranteed money. Dems just the berries.

Let him play one regular season game first for chrissakes.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let him play one regular season game first for chrissakes.

Okay. Can we pronounce him DOA after the first game then? I think we all realize that Hedo might find his game once again and if he did he'd play a big role in making this team competitive. However, his season in Toronto and his play so far in the preseason both seem to suggest that's not likely to happen. I see no reason with forming an opinion at this point. It's not like we're carving these opinions in stone.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Okay. Can we pronounce him DOA after the first game then? I think we all realize that Hedo might find his game once again and if he did he'd play a big role in making this team competitive. However, his season in Toronto and his play so far in the preseason both seem to suggest that's not likely to happen. I see no reason with forming an opinion at this point. It's not like we're carving these opinions in stone.

Steve

It's not fair, but I'm sure I won't be surprised when you and your cronies proclaim him the worst player in the NBA on Wednesday morning.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not fair, but I'm sure I won't be surprised when you and your cronies proclaim him the worst player in the NBA on Wednesday morning.

I have cronies? I always wanted a henchman but can't say I've ever longed for a crony. I can't speak for anyone else (crony or not) but I'd be very surprised if I proclaimed him the worst player in the NBA on Wednesday morning. I think there's a good chance he'll be nominated for most overpaid player but I'm still hoping he finds his focus.

Hedo has always had a reputation for taking nights off and I suspect that work ethic carries over into his preseason play. That fact has me a little bit hopeful that we'll see a much better Hedo when the season starts but it's tough to dismiss his year in Toronto.

Aren't you at least a little concerned with his work ethic and the impact that might have on team chemistry? One of the great things about this team last year was how hard each of them worked to make the team better. We've lost some guys that contributed to that chemistry and a lazy player isn't likely to fill that void.

Steve

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
i wish Nash demands for a trade to a contender if things get sour.
imo,
he deserves to win a ring.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I wonder if Gentry has thought of playing Hedo on the baseline? One doesn't think of him in that role but it may be the solution.

Guarded by a PF he can't set up at an elbow the way Amare did and he hasn't drawn his defender far enough from the bucket either. If he sets up at the three point vicinity he's poorly placed to make any plays - he's relegated to role like Frye. More like Tim Thomas because he can drive but its still not a very prolific position.

A good baseline player needs to be clever and opportunistic and it helps greatly if he's a deadeye shooter from the corner. Hedo will have to be the last because he's got to force the PF to guard him closely deep in the corner. I think he's clever enough to torture a slower defender with backdoor cuts. If the guy plays right on the baseline, as soon as anyone moves toward the bucket Turk moves out 10 ft along the arc and is open for a three. Or if the guy gets sufficiently distracted he turns and cuts.

One fun thing about playing the baseline is that your defender has a heck of time knowing whats happening elsewhere on the court - assuming you keep him occupied with your movement. He has trouble helping out and even rebounding. But you need to move whenever he puts his hand on you - either away from it or through it, giving the refs a chance to make a holding call. Jab steps work, too.

Opportunities to make plays don't abound but when you do get the ball on the baseline you're well positioned to hit cutters to the basket or to kick the ball out to an open perimeter shooter. Also if someone comes to help against you, you'll see the man he's leaving and usually have a good passing angle - and they will come. You can also pop up the center right into the heart of the defense - maybe after someone has set a pindown screen on your defender or you rubbed him off some other way. Even Bo Outlaw used to make some nice plays doing that (actually Bo was a headier ballplayer than he usually got credit for.)

One skill thats very helpful to a baseline player is to be able to turn and shoot, without having to reorient. Normally, everyone keeps themselves aligned to the basket so they don't have to turn much to shoot but on the baseline, except for the corner, the ball is often coming from an angle that forces you to turn away from the basket to catch it. I have no idea if Hedo is good at that... probably too much to ask for. (One reason Ced Ceballos was so good along the baseline was that he was always mentally oriented to the basket, regardless of which way he was facing.)

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Aren't you at least a little concerned with his work ethic and the impact that might have on team chemistry? One of the great things about this team last year was how hard each of them worked to make the team better. We've lost some guys that contributed to that chemistry and a lazy player isn't likely to fill that void.

Steve

Of course I'm concerned. Who wouldn't be? You have to admit he was pretty busy over the summer and hasn't played in a game that actually counts since the World Championships, which is a much different type of game. I'm not saying I think he's going to be the greatest thing for us since sliced bread, only that it's much too early to proclaim him a bust before he's played a regular season game for us.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course I'm concerned. Who wouldn't be? You have to admit he was pretty busy over the summer and hasn't played in a game that actually counts since the World Championships, which is a much different type of game. I'm not saying I think he's going to be the greatest thing for us since sliced bread, only that it's much too early to proclaim him a bust before he's played a regular season game for us.

I have to agree with Chap here. It's sort of asinine to make any final judgments on the team at this point or particular players. Also, it has been proven by guys time and time again it takes time to integrate into the Suns system. Though I don't have high hopes myself for this bunch (I think this is a .500 team), I am willing to reserve my final judgment until I have seen this team in action during the regular season and can see them play some games.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Chap here. It's sort of asinine to make any final judgments on the team at this point or particular players. Also, it has been proven by guys time and time again it takes time to integrate into the Suns system. Though I don't have high hopes myself for this bunch (I think this is a .500 team), I am willing to reserve my final judgment until I have seen this team in action during the regular season and can see them play some games.

We're fans on a message board, not members of a special hit squad. There is nothing final about an opinion at this stage. I have no problem with someone believing that Hedo will turn it around but why is it so wrong for some of us to believe he won't?

Do we really have to wait until there is absolutely no doubt before we formulate and share an opinion? That's what Chap and now you seem to be suggesting. If so, what's the purpose of this message board?

Steve

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We're fans on a message board, not members of a special hit squad. There is nothing final about an opinion at this stage. I have no problem with someone believing that Hedo will turn it around but why is it so wrong for some of us to believe he won't?

Do we really have to wait until there is absolutely no doubt before we formulate and share an opinion? That's what Chap and now you seem to be suggesting. If so, what's the purpose of this message board?

Steve
NOT to bash,question,sell short,negatively discuss,complain about,chide,villify,hypothesize or otherwise not believe in what the SUNS,its owner,GM,players(especially Nash) are doing is the right thing in terms of fanhood,philosophy,personnel decisions,and most importantly the tissue-soft offensive culture.

So get with the program Stevo! :mulli:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Steve

What's wrong is basing an entire season on a bad preseason. Don't you see how ridiculous that is? I think that's the issue--it's hard to believe rational thinking adults don't take things like that into consideration.

Then again, on message boards it's really easy to become chicken little and proclaim the sky is falling at the drop of a hat. Because, hey, it's still just a silly game.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
I don't think we could have asked for a better opening night test than the Blazers. They have, perhaps, the best front court depth in the league, so our starting Hedo at the 4 is going to be tested right out of the gates.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nash twitted a reply to the article that implied he doesn't think the Suns will make playoffs:

"RT @SLAMonline: Nash Doesn’t Expect Suns to Make the Playoffs http://dlvr.it/7WFCP (Not true, but I understand why outsiders think we won't)"

As for the season opener tonight:

"The @NBA season starts today! My 15th year and I can't sleep, still excited like it's my 1st. Thanks to all the fans who make it fun #GOSUNS"