Stoudemire is looking for an extension this summer!

Roca Dolla

BIRD CITY!
Reaction score
Amaré Stoudemire's camp has not heard from any other NBA team about the possibility of acquiring him or any interest in securing his future with a contract extension.

Stoudemire's agent, Charles Grantham, said he would like to hear a commitment from one team in particular - the Suns.

"Either he's in or out," Grantham said Sunday while in Phoenix. "You're going to have to really make a commitment to him that he's part of your program going forward and that you're going to work around him. Those decisions seemingly are still up in the air. They are going to have to be made at some point. You'll have to talk about either committing to him or trading him.

"Those discussions haven't happened yet."

Discussions about trading Stoudemire have happened. A deal with Golden State unraveled after Thursday's draft over the Warriors' unwillingness to part with No. 7 pick Stephen Curry. A Suns-Warriors trade remains possible with something added to the package of Andris Biedrins, Brandan Wright and Marco Belinelli.

The commitment Stoudemire is seeking from the Suns is more than just being told he won't be traded. He wants a contract extension when he is eligible later this summer. Grantham considers Stoudemire a maximum-salary player worth an extension averaging more than $20 million per season.

Grantham and Suns General Manager Steve Kerr spoke Sunday and plan to talk more soon.

"This is all normal business," Kerr said. "I don't see any of this as out of the ordinary. We love Amaré. He's been an incredibly productive player for us. He's going to weigh his options, and he has the right to do it."

Stoudemire can opt out of his contract next year to be an unrestricted free agent, passing on a $17.7 million salary in 2010-11.

"One way or the other, they're going to have to commit to him," Grantham said. "Amaré would love to be a part of a championship team in Phoenix. That's his first option. He's 26. He's looking at the prime of his career right now. He'd like to win here if that's what their goal is - to win a championship.

"If it's not their goal, then I have to encourage him to think about other things. 'Where should you finish your career? Where could you go to be productive?' I would think any team that is seriously considering him would want to talk to us about an extension, as opposed to just renting him for a year."

Stoudemire was cleared to work out a week ago for the first time since February surgery to repair a detached retina. Grantham said Stoudemire's right eye will fully recover.

"I have no doubt he's going to play extremely well next season," Grantham said. "Hopefully, it's here for the Suns and they're moving toward a championship. If not, we're prepared and should be prepared to look at other options.

"His best years are ahead of him. We're all reasonable people. We should be able to sit down and figure this out."

Stoudemire commented this month to media in other cities about how well he would fit in with other teams if he was a 2010 free agent.

"It didn't come from Amaré saying, 'I don't want to be in Phoenix,' " Grantham said. "If the Suns are committed to him, he doesn't have to become an unrestricted free agent."

You must be registered for see images

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/06/28/20090628sunsstoudemire0629.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Roca Dolla

BIRD CITY!
Reaction score
Amaré Stoudemire and his agent have not heard from any other NBA team about the possibility of acquiring him or any interest in securing his future with a contract extension. Stoudemire's agent, Charles Grantham, said he would like to hear a commitment from the Suns.
"Either he's in or out," Grantham said Sunday while in Phoenix. "You're going to have to really make a commitment to him that he's part of your program going forward and that you're going to work around him. Those decisions seemingly are still up in the air. They are going to have to be made at some point. You'll have to talk about either committing to him or trading him.
"Those discussions haven't happened yet."
Stoudemire is looking for an extension this summer.
Stoudemire commented this month to media in other cities about how well he would fit in with other teams if he was a 2010 free agent.
"It didn't come from Amaré saying, 'I don't want to be in Phoenix,' " Grantham said. "If the Suns are committed to him, he doesn't have to become an unrestricted free agent."
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60150/20090628/amare_wants_extension_this_summer/

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd honestly prefer keeping Amare than doing any of the trades I've seen offered.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
It is all set up. Here comes the famous Sarver lowball kick to the groin. And there goes Amar'e he's outta here.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is all set up. Here comes the famous Sarver lowball kick to the groin. And there goes Amar'e he's outta here.

that was EXACTLY my first thought as well.... I think we all need to prepare for this one..

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This is news?

I guess the clock is about the expire on Stoudemire's knees. That's when he worked out his last extension.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
Smart move by Amares Agent by stating that Amare wants to be here....no doubt he's familiar with Sarver's tactic of claiming that every player/gm/coach who wants to get paid...

"DOESNT WANT TO BE HERE!!!!"

God, I hate that guy.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is news?

I guess the clock is about the expire on Stoudemire's knees. That's when he worked out his last extension.

No joke he's probably blind in one eye too. The Suns are in a tough position: trade him for pennies on the dollar, extend him and hope he can stay healthy to raise his value for a fair trade, or not resign him and possibly lose him for nothing next summer. IIRC we only have a brief window (a few months) to negotiate an extension.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Let him play his heart out next season and prove he is worth an extension then S&T him ala Rashard Lewis.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Something's fishy here. Last time he asked and was granted an extension, he played three games the following season due to knee surgery. It could be that his knees are bothering him again or his eye hasn't fully recovered. Buyer beware!

Don't get me wrong, I want him as a franchise player, but I also want him healthy.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No joke he's probably blind in one eye too. The Suns are in a tough position: trade him for pennies on the dollar, extend him and hope he can stay healthy to raise his value for a fair trade, or not resign him and possibly lose him for nothing next summer. IIRC we only have a brief window (a few months) to negotiate an extension.

A sign and trade is a possibility as well. Smart on the agents part. If Amare's gets signed to a max contract by the Suns and stays Amare wins. If the Suns sign a max contract and trade him via a sign and trade...well...Amare wins. If the Suns do nothing and Amare becomes a free agent, some team will give him the max deal allowed but Amare will get less money correct?

Correct me if I am wrong but Amare will make the most money by resigning with the Suns? So I would think his agent wants the Suns to resign him no matter what correct? Then it does not matter if the Suns keep him or trade him.

Last edited:

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I'd take Amare back if he got that cyborg eye and implanted the knees of a young stallion into himself. Otherwise see ya.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
A premature extension helps only one side: the player's. Investing heavily in Stoudemire at this point would be foolhardy.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Let him market himself for a year then figure out what to do with him. If he plays out of his mind, we will have suitors lining up in 2010 tempting us with S&Ts

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Umm....Don't want to build around a no defense shaky knee Amare Stoudemire.

Bye bye Amare!

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Amare is the walking wounded. If he hadn't undergone multiple surgeries he is probably a max contract guy... but his defense makes that iffy if he was at 100%... which I don't think he'll ever be.

Of course, his agent wants to stay in Phoenix, if Phoenix can be lulled into 20 million/year.

No thank you. Even if we get nothing for him, which would be a tragedy, don't give him a max contract.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
I think I agree with YouJustGotSunsd. Let him play this year for that contract. If he's a max player, lets see it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I agree with YouJustGotSunsd. Let him play this year for that contract. If he's a max player, lets see it.

If he plays like a max player? What is to stop him from getting PO and leave without compensation? I think you have to give him the max contract because he is going to get it no matter what. At least if you hold his rights, your going to get something in return because salaries would have to match in any trade.

Worst case scenario we keep Amare and are forced to surround the guy with alot more defensive talent. Best case scenario, you shipped him out for a bunch of pieces. There really is no simple formula here with trade rules but I do know that the Suns probably won't let him walk without something in return.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he plays like a max player? What is to stop him from getting PO and leave without compensation? I think you have to give him the max contract because he is going to get it no matter what. At least if you hold his rights, your going to get something in return because salaries would have to match in any trade.

Worst case scenario we keep Amare and are forced to surround the guy with alot more defensive talent. Best case scenario, you shipped him out for a bunch of pieces. There really is no simple formula here with trade rules but I do know that the Suns probably won't let him walk without something in return.

Worst case scenario.. Amare misses many games due to injury and we're stuck with that contract. See Penny, T-Mac, Hill for examples.

No thanks, get the best deal and if there's nothing worth it now, wait until the trade deadline. If Amare gets injured again, at least we're not liable to him past this year. He needs to go, not worth the money he's seeking.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Extending Amare might be worth the gamble considering it will open up new teams to the trade talks who were concerned about a one year rental. Smaller market teams like Memphis, Sacramento and Oklahoma City, might be willing to make an offer with Amare inked long term. Hopefully the Suns don't put a no-trade clause in the contract.