Stoudemire is looking for an extension this summer!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am glad you guys are not the gm. Kerr should be talking about how great Amare is and our intention to resign him--even if he does not plan to do so. To do anything else is to ask for lowball offers and a bad negotiating position.

Amare is going to get max money. That is just the way it is. So we might as well say that we want to sign him for max money. That way other teams will believe that they have the Suns to compete against as well as other teams. If they want him, they have to give up something to get him because we want him too.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Extending Amare might be worth the gamble considering it will open up new teams to the trade talks who were concerned about a one year rental. Smaller market teams like Memphis, Sacramento and Oklahoma City, might be willing to make an offer with Amare inked long term. Hopefully the Suns don't put a no-trade clause in the contract.

Its true, but signing him to an extension makes him a BYC player and virtually untradeable. We need to talk about signing him, but not actually do it until we have a trade partner or we decide we really want to keep him long term.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its true, but signing him to an extension makes him a BYC player and virtually untradeable. We need to talk about signing him, but not actually do it until we have a trade partner or we decide we really want to keep him long term.

I'm not sure that's the case because the extension won't go into effect until after the upcoming season which is when he could have opted out. I may be wrong, but I don't think he'll be playing for the new contract (extension) in the 2010-11 season not the upcoming season. Am I mistaken?

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score

Incorrect. BYC status is only then applicable if the player's new contract is much higher than his old one, using the Bird rule. Amare's new max would be only less than 10% more annually. So, no BYC rule applied here.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am over it. I used to be set on dealing Amare, but now just want to keep him and bring over Tyson Chandler. I like the initial Golden State deal, but I think some of us forget how good Amare really is. Is he annoying? Yah. But It just doesn't seem like there are many better options.

Errntknght

Reaction score
With his medical history and atrocious D, Amare is not remotely a max player. Heck, you can toss in the fact that the refs (justifiably) hate his punk ass. Clearly, he's delusional if he thinks he can command the max. The only real mistake we can make with him is paying him max bucks -or in that neighborhood. His trade value figures to be at an all time low with him not having played since his retina tear so the best course is to showcase him until the trade deadline and pray that his knees hold up that long. And doesn't prove that his eye is permanently kaput as far as playing basketball is concerned.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With his medical history and atrocious D, Amare is not remotely a max player. Heck, you can toss in the fact that the refs (justifiably) hate his punk ass. Clearly, he's delusional if he thinks he can command the max. The only real mistake we can make with him is paying him max bucks -or in that neighborhood. His trade value figures to be at an all time low with him not having played since his retina tear so the best course is to showcase him until the trade deadline and pray that his knees hold up that long. And doesn't prove that his eye is permanently kaput as far as playing basketball is concerned.

Someone is going to pay him the max.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Market determines value. Signing him for less than market value is a pipe dream. Trading him to a team that he will not resign with is a pipe dream as well. We can determine to have a team constituted of players that we perceive to be good value contracts, but I can almost guarantee it will not be a championship caliber team.

So what do you do? Just let him walk? Trade him for someone else's trash? He still plays and plays well. We could trade him for player who makes half as much but gives us 30% of the effective production. I am all ears in hearing how we can turn Amare into a valuable piece for this team going forward--through trade, resigning, letting him walk, or whatever.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Market determines value. Signing him for less than market value is a pipe dream. Trading him to a team that he will not resign with is a pipe dream as well. We can determine to have a team constituted of players that we perceive to be good value contracts, but I can almost guarantee it will not be a championship caliber team.

So what do you do? Just let him walk? Trade him for someone else's trash? He still plays and plays well. We could trade him for player who makes half as much but gives us 30% of the effective production. I am all ears in hearing how we can turn Amare into a valuable piece for this team going forward--through trade, resigning, letting him walk, or whatever.

I get what your saying but if there is only 1 or 2 teams willing to pay him Max in the entire NBA, that doesn't mean he is a MAX player. That might just mean that there are 2 teams out there stupid enough to do it. There have been teams that have signed a guy to a huge contract before that nobody else would have. I wouldn't consider that "market".

Having said that, there are not that many PF in the NBA that put up over 20 PPG career average. Also, Amare scores 27.9 PPG per 48 which is towards the top in the NBA. With the emphasis around the league on running more, that might make Amare a max player to a bunch of teams. Just probably not teams that are going to win a title.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Signing him for less than market value is a pipe dream.

If he had a better relationship with the organization, it would be possible, but I agree that it probably isn't given the circumstances.

Trading him to a team that he will not resign with is a pipe dream as well.

If, as you say, "someone" is prepared to give him a super-maximum contract, then the Suns could trade with that someone.

We can determine to have a team constituted of players that we perceive to be good value contracts, but I can almost guarantee it will not be a championship caliber team.

The whole reason the Spurs have been so good for so long is that they have good value contracts. Look at what Parker and Ginobili make compared to what they bring to the table.

So what do you do? Just let him walk? Trade him for someone else's trash? He still plays and plays well. We could trade him for player who makes half as much but gives us 30% of the effective production.

I agree that there's no good solution. I happen to think that for the Suns to bury themselves under a massively overpaid Stoudemire extension, just because "otherwise someone else will," is one of the worse choices. If no good trade presents itself, then yes, let him walk. Remember, you never lose a big-salaried player for nothing in the NBA, because converting financial flexibility into talent is relatively easy.

If paying a 30-year-old Stoudemire $20 million or more per season is a mistake, let some other franchise be the ones making that mistake. Competing financially is just as important as competing in talent, except for the very few teams with unlimited payrolls.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that there's no good solution. I happen to think that for the Suns to bury themselves under a massively overpaid Stoudemire extension, just because "otherwise someone else will," is one of the worse choices. If no good trade presents itself, then yes, let him walk. Remember, you never lose a big-salaried player for nothing in the NBA, because converting financial flexibility into talent is relatively easy.

If paying a 30-year-old Stoudemire $20 million or more per season is a mistake, let some other franchise be the ones making that mistake. Competing financially is just as important as competing in talent, except for the very few teams with unlimited payrolls.

If Stoudemire did not have a history of injury I would go for it without hesitation because franchise potential big men are so hard to get. I guess I go for it because I do not see any better options unless a quality trade presents itself (which it still may). The Suns absolutely have to address the center position even if they keep Stoudemire but not with veteran minimum types. I fear this might happen.

Yes, I waffle. It's a tough call.