Stoudemire trying to go from superstar to most improved

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Duncan, Shaq, Garnett....those are superstars. Amare has a ways to go to reach that level...sorry to burst bubbles over it...I thought it was obvious....guess not.

shaq, cannot shoot free throws, horrible jumper, slow slow slow, average basketball IQ

garnett, has yet to prove he has the fortitude to endure the challenges of the playoffs, majority of suns fans would not trade for amare straight up

amare, mediocre defense, unrefined skills due to age

Now if you want to sound like you enjoy talking to other people(as opposed to strongarming your opinion and hijacking threads), explain why amare's shortfalls eliminate him from this group

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
shaq, cannot shoot free throws, horrible jumper, slow slow slow, average basketball IQ

garnett, has yet to prove he has the fortitude to endure the challenges of the playoffs, majority of suns fans would not trade for amare straight up

amare, mediocre defense, unrefined skills due to age

Now if you want to sound like you enjoy talking to other people(as opposed to strongarming your opinion and hijacking threads), explain why amare's shortfalls eliminate him from this group

Can you just say what you mean?

Amare superstar...yes or no?

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why cant people just be real on here? I get all this doubletalk....Amare is an olympian....Shaq cant shoot freethows...KG doesnt do good in the playoffs...da da da..dee dee dee...

You dont want to come out and directly say Amare is a SUPERstar but you dont want to agree with me either...so you bring up all this other nonsense.

I'm every bit the Suns fan any of you are and I can say without ANY hesitation Amare is NOT a superstar. That does not mean I'm not a fan or Amare is not a star...it just means he hasnt reached that level. No need to hype or anything else. We dont have to drink :koolaid: everytime a Suns player is brought up....cripe almighty.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Lets play Detective and see if YouJustGotSUNSD left any clues for pokerface along the way

pokerface says "who says he is a superstar?"

YJGS says "[smiley face with hand raised waving]"

YJGS says "I think his ability to finish at the rim is a super power in itself"

pokerface lists other superstars

YJGS notes that these superstars also have noteworthy flaws but does not dispute their superstardom

YJGS indicates that pokerface possesses very poor reading comprehension skills, has a set agenda going into threads, has no hesitation to hijack or bite ankles when he deems it necessary, and confuses opinion with factual evidence

YJGS also has a suspicion that pokerface will become giddy and get his jollies off once he realizes that YJGS does consider Amare a superstar

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What are you saying??

So according to you if Amare isnt a superstar no one is...or everyone is?? I dont even get your point AT ALL.

Oh ok...you consider Amare a superstar....I dont. I dont think he's earned that status yet.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Internet connection: $40/month

Amount needed to gain an inch of progress with pokerface: 2 pages

Amount of time lost in the process: 1 hour

Seeing pokerface realize your opinion was pretty clear from your first response and to see him add his opinion in a civil and mature way:

Priceless

There are a lot of ways to torture yourself in this world. When none of those cut it, there's always the internet.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dude lighten up...I'm not the enemy. Just trying to understand thats all....

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Homework Assignment for you two. Rank the top players in the NBA until you get to Amare. This should resolve your dispute, or at least clarify where you stand.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amare is a superstar. So is Duncan. This is a silly argument.

If we were unwilling to trade him for KG, he is a superstar.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

So since the lakers were unwilling to trade bynum for kidd does that mean that bynum is a superstar?

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
depends on the definition. to me, superstar = less than 5 players in the nba, and has more to do with name recognition than actual skill.

fordronken

Reaction score
Here's my current superstar list:

Nash
Kobe
Duncan
Wade
Garnett
Nowitzki

Amare isn't a superstar yet. I think he'll be one. But he doesn't have the leadership qualities or the consistent ability to control games yet. Every other guy on that list has an extra quality or accolade on their resume.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nash
Kobe
Duncan
Wade
Garnett
Nowitzki

Amare isn't a superstar yet. I think he'll be one. But he doesn't have the leadership qualities or the consistent ability to control games yet. Every other guy on that list has an extra quality or accolade on their resume.

i think that list is pretty dead on point, although I'd add Shaq to the list - regardless of age/injuries, there's still really no other player in the league like him, nor is there any other player that's got the charisma Shaq still has off the floor. Dude's a funny ****.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This whole thing is pretty stupid. Amare is in the top ten best players in the NBA by virtually every ranking I've seen. The big divide between star and superstar is how the player does well in playoffs:

Amare against the Spurs: 26.4 ppg, 50% shooting, 81.3% free throws, 10.6 rpg, 2.0 blocks per game, 1.2 steals per game.

Dirk against the Warriors: 19.7 ppg, 38.3%, 21.1% for three, 11.3 rpg, 1.33 blocks per game, 1.33 steals per game.

Dirk was the league MVP and his team played against the 8th seed. Amare played against the eventual league champion.

IMHO, you either include Amare on the list or you take Dirk off of it.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score

Nash
Kobe
Duncan
Wade
Garnett
Nowitzki

I will agree here, but I would put LeBron there instead of Dirk. Not for personal reasons, but I don't think Dirk is a superstar. You could probably take Nash off there too, and replace him with Shaq.

There are very few players in this league I would give superstar status too. This isn't really a list of who the best players in the league are. If that were the case I'd include Nash and Dirk on there as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This whole thing is pretty stupid. Amare is in the top ten best players in the NBA by virtually every ranking I've seen. The big divide between star and superstar is how the player does well in playoffs:

Amare against the Spurs: 26.4 ppg, 50% shooting, 81.3% free throws, 10.6 rpg, 2.0 blocks per game, 1.2 steals per game.

Dirk against the Warriors: 19.7 ppg, 38.3%, 21.1% for three, 11.3 rpg, 1.33 blocks per game, 1.33 steals per game.

Dirk was the league MVP and his team played against the 8th seed. Amare played against the eventual league champion.

IMHO, you either include Amare on the list or you take Dirk off of it.

sorry George, but this is ridiculous. One bad playoff series doesn't take everything away from Dirk, especially his performance powering the Mavs to the NBA Finals last year, plus multiple 60 win seasons, with or without Steve Nash.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amare should be on that list if you have Dirk, Wade? Also to not have Lebron, Shaq, Garnett, McGrady that list is inaccurate their are a few superstars in the league not just a couple!

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score

Nash
Kobe
Duncan
Wade
Garnett
Nowitzki

i don't any criteria by which garnett would be one for you and lebron not. numbers, success, name recognition, whatever you want lebron wins. that's just hating imo.

by the way, for me its kobe, wade, lbj. that's it. those guys aren't even the top 3 players in the league to me, but they're the superstars. maybe you can add shaq to the list as he's still got the recognition.

its the difference between sharapova and davenport. both win, only 1 is a superstar. success is not the only deciding factor in that assessment obviously.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Yeah it is pretty stupid because your defination of superstar keeps changing with the wind. First its how many times a player is a allstar....then its if he's an olympian or not....now its how well he does in the playoffs....whats next azirish...how many endorsements he has?

So I guess Garnett has never been a superstar??

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would not put Amare on the same level as Duncan, KG or Shaq....maybe not even Dirk now because he just won MVP and made it to the finals last year. Amare has to do more to get that status....get a mvp...a trip to the finals...a scoring title....or just flat out dominate a few more years and be the best player in his position. We shouldnt elevate Amare faster to "SUPERSTAR" than is warranted.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Dude lighten up...I'm not the enemy.

You're far worse.

Remember when Paulie gets whiny and annoying in the Rocky movies, whenever he gets it in his mind that Rocky's gonna fail?

You're far worse.

You're the braying jackass that has set himself to be the self-proclaimed "voice of reason" in these forums - regardless of whether YOUR reason is right or wrong.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Oh this post is just rediculous...

Duncan has won multiple rings....has dominated his position.

Amare has what? Oh....Rookie of the year...

Whats the "not trading Amare for KG" have to do with anything? You dont think age and salary have anything to do with it??