Stoudemire trying to go from superstar to most improved

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem with this whole discussion is that it is the wrong debate altogether.

You first need to decide on what your definition of a superstar is, then you can decide who is and isn't one.

Jason Kidd? C'mon.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The problem with this whole discussion is that it is the wrong debate altogether.

You first need to decide on what your definition of a superstar is, then you can decide who is and isn't one.

Jason Kidd? C'mon.

Jason Kidd may not be on a superstar level now but he was at one point.

You dont even think Garnett is a superstar because we wouldnt trade Amare for him??

We dont need a definition of a superstar....most fans know it when they see it.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I would suggest that an effective measuring stick for "superstar" power is how much marketing appeal a player has. LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Shaq, KG, and Timmy all have had popular national individual commercials. Has Amare done anything besides the Nike "Second Coming" spot that Marion and everybody else was in?

I'm not sure that Amare has that first name only, nationally recognizable appeal to him that the others have. He needs his own underwear, gatorade, or Nike ads in primetime. To me , that will signify that he has arrived as a "superstar".

fordronken

Reaction score
I would suggest that an effective measuring stick for "superstar" power is how much marketing appeal a player has. LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Shaq, KG, and Timmy all have had popular national individual commercials. Has Amare done anything besides the Nike "Second Coming" spot that Marion and everybody else was in?

I'm not sure that Amare has that first name only, nationally recognizable appeal to him that the others have. He needs his own underwear, gatorade, or Nike ads in primetime. To me , that will signify that he has arrived as a "superstar".

Then I'm glad LeBron was a superstar before he played his first preseason game in the NBA.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

You dont even think Garnett is a superstar because we wouldnt trade Amare for him??

Except you?

Garnett is an absolute future HOF superstar, but has a devestating cap killing contract. If it was just for one season at the same price, I'm sure most people would pick KG over Amare. But that's not what the Suns were faced with.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Except you?

Garnett is an absolute future HOF superstar, but has a devestating cap killing contract. If it was just for one season at the same price, I'm sure most people would pick KG over Amare. But that's not what the Suns were faced with.

Dont know what you're even talking about there.....

KG has achieved superstar status....Amare hasnt yet. Thats all I'm saying.

Last edited:

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'll agree KG is a superstar, Amare not quite there yet. The definition is not always the same for every fan, however. To some it's purely their basketball skills, or how much of an impact they have in the game. Are they recognizable to the public, not just basketball junkies like you and I? In my eyes, there's only a handful of bona fide superstars.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I will say this....If Amare can win the most improved player award as is being hyped in this article he will in fact be an undisputed superstar. That would be quite an accomplishment.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I dont see see him getting many if any votes for MIP. Even if he goes from 20-10 to 26-12-3 there will be plenty of more significant improvements from other players

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

KG is a superstar. I would never argue against that.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will say this....If Amare can win the most improved player award as is being hyped in this article he will in fact be an undisputed superstar. That would be quite an accomplishment.

1st team all nba one year, MIP the next. Yeah that would be an accomplishment. I wouldn't put too much down on that one though.