Summer must-do list - Paul Coro - interesting article

OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
I am not sure the suns would want Gary Payton, I would prefer they do not get him. There are other players that can help that would be a good back-up point guard that would not demand minutes.

I thought Bell was an off guard, not a point guard. Although he does play defense.

Raja Bell
You must be registered for see images

2004-05
Statistics PPG12.3 RPG3.20 APG1.4 EFF+ 10.08Position: G
Born: Sep 19, 1976
Height: 6-5 / 1,96
Weight: 210 lbs. / 95,3 kg.
College : Florida International '9

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
boy does it make me nervous that there's no mention of bringing in more bigs.

Even if they just re-signed Hunter, I think I'd be okay with a big rotation of Amare, Hunter and Thomas - not thrilled, but okay - it would be better than last year - but if they don't, well, I just can't see any team being successful in the playoffs with only two guys who can play up front.

Brett10S

Reaction score
If we're looking for a sharpshooter off the bench, then I think Kareem Rush.
He won't cost nearly as much as these other guys.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Brett10S said:
If we're looking for a sharpshooter off the bench, then I think Kareem Rush.
He won't cost nearly as much as these other guys.
Last I watched the Lakers play. Rush was very streaky as a shooter. I really didn't watch them that much last season becuase their play was so brutal to witness! :eek: I'd see games Rush looked great, then it seemed he'd disappear for a couple games. However, that could have just been Kobe taking his 40 to 50 jacks freezing out Rush! :thumbup:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
boy does it make me nervous that there's no mention of bringing in more bigs.

Even if they just re-signed Hunter, I think I'd be okay with a big rotation of Amare, Hunter and Thomas - not thrilled, but okay - it would be better than last year - but if they don't, well, I just can't see any team being successful in the playoffs with only two guys who can play up front.

There are some very interesting statements in this article.

First, the new guy (forget his handle) with the insider info about the Suns going to sign a pg that played with Nash in Dallas--he was right. Its Raja Bell. Good choice.

Second. Hunter says he expect to return to the Suns. He also said that his desire is a longer term deal. The Suns could offer Hunter a 4 year 10 million deal and he would stay. Its probably worth it. Split the mle between Hunter and Arvydas. I'm ok with that.

Coro said on the radio that the Suns are offering a $350,000 subsidy of Jake's salary if he can find another team to take him. The idea is that he would not excercize his player option. He could then look for a team that is willing to use their lle on him, or a team with cap space. I would think that Atlanta and Nw Orleans would have interest. Skiles might want him for the lle, especially if they let Curry go. That would free up some cash for Hunter.

McCarty expects to be back for the minimum, Bo would stay for the minimum too if the team wants him.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
There are some very interesting statements in this article.

First, the new guy (forget his handle) with the insider info about the Suns going to sign a pg that played with Nash in Dallas--he was right. Its Raja Bell. Good choice.

Second. Hunter says he expect to return to the Suns. He also said that his desire is a longer term deal. The Suns could offer Hunter a 4 year 10 million deal and he would stay. Its probably worth it. Split the mle between Hunter and Arvydas. I'm ok with that.

I'd actually be cool with that - at least it gets us back out of old fogey land which is where I was fearing we were headed. Bell, Hunter and the Euro sound like guys who can continue to develop or at least provide decent minutes this year in limited roles.

fordronken

Reaction score
The only reason Raja Bell scares me is because there seems to be a long history of career under achievers doing well in Utah, then signing somewhere else and playing bad again.

HooverDam

Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
McCarty expects to be back for the minimum, Bo would stay for the minimum too if the team wants him.

I think we'd be foolish not to do both of those things. Again, I think McCarty could still do some nice things for the club once he goes through a training camp and finds his role here. Bo is great in the clubhouse, and can come in and hustle like a beast in garbage time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fordronken said:
The only reason Raja Bell scares me is because there seems to be a long history of career under achievers doing well in Utah, then signing somewhere else and playing bad again.

that's understandable - but the guy has seemed like a hard worker his entire career. He might not be the most talented, but Larry Brown trusted him enough to play him decent minutes in the NBA Finals when on the Sixers - even coming up with a pretty big 4th quarter/OT perfromance in their only victory in Game 1.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
that's understandable - but the guy has seemed like a hard worker his entire career. He might not be the most talented, but Larry Brown trusted him enough to play him decent minutes in the NBA Finals when on the Sixers - even coming up with a pretty big 4th quarter/OT perfromance in their only victory in Game 1.

Also, let's face it, Raja Bell is still better than Randy Livingston, Negele Knight, and many other backup point guards we've had over the years...

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Also, let's face it, Raja Bell is still better than Randy Livingston, Negele Knight, and many other backup point guards we've had over the years...
Didn't Al McCoy say all those guys were really good? :D

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

The good thing about Bell is that we wouldn't be bringing him in on "potential." His present, proven level of play is sufficient for his role.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

I thought Bell was more of a SG than a PG? Guy only averaged 1.4 assists in 30 minutes. :confused:

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Raja Bell is a SG.

Macijauskas is a very dangerous shooter but he is unathletic by NBA standards.

Once I had the possibility to make an interview with the only one hungarian NBA player, former Bulls F Kornél Dávid. He is now Macijauskas' teammate at Tau Ceramica.

He told me that Macijauskas probably is not ready for the NBA. He learns how to defend and is in trouble if he has to beat more athletic defenders one-on-one.

Trajan Langdon (who is not the most athletic swingman of the world) schooled him last season on both ends of the court. He scored 32 on Macijauskas and the lithuanian barely could score.

That was just one game but to be a star in Europe sometimes is easier than being a solid player in NBA.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
hcsilla said:
Raja Bell is a SG.

Macijauskas is a very dangerous shooter but he is unathletic by NBA standards.

Once I had the possibility to make an interview with the only one hungarian NBA player, former Bulls F Kornél Dávid. He is now Macijauskas' teammate at Tau Ceramica.

He told me that Macijauskas probably is not ready for the NBA. He learns how to defend and is in trouble if he has to beat more athletic defenders one-on-one.

Trajan Langdon (who is not the most athletic swingman of the world) schooled him last season on both ends of the court. He scored 32 on Macijauskas and the lithuanian barely could score.

That was just one game but to be a star in Europe sometimes is easier than being a solid player in NBA.

Ouch. If this report is accurate, I would rather have Casey back. I can't see Langdom dominating Casey like that.

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
• The "amnesty rule" of the new collective bargaining agreement will have the Suns looking at other veterans such as former Suns guard Michael Finley, one of Nash's closest friends. Like Allan Houston and Brian Grant, Finley is expected to be waived on a one-time tax break.

does anyone know if there is a deadline for when all the players under these amnesty rule have to be released by?

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
F-Dog said:
That's true. There's no way Finley will accept the veteran's minimum so that the Suns can use the MLE on another SG. It's going to be Finley or Bell or Macijauskas, not two or three of them together.

Wrong. No matter what size contract a team offers Finley, he will get the same total amount of money.

The Mavericks have to pay Finley:

Total Buyout - New salary

Where the new team obviously pays the new salary.

So no matter what Finley signs for, he will not get any more than the total buyout. It is just a matter of who gets footed with the bill.

I can't imagine Fins would be doing anything to help Cuban after releasing him, especially at the expense of his new team since his finances are unaffected.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
That's true. There's no way Finley will accept the veteran's minimum so that the Suns can use the MLE on another SG. It's going to be Finley or Bell or Macijauskas, not two or three of them together.

Sigh.

Would it kill you to read all the way through before hitting the 'reply' button?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Wrong. No matter what size contract a team offers Finley, he will get the same total amount of money.

So no matter what Finley signs for, he will not get any more than the total buyout. It is just a matter of who gets footed with the bill.

I can't imagine Fins would be doing anything to help Cuban after releasing him, especially at the expense of his new team since his finances are unaffected.

Actually, the new team only pays the veteran minimum that applies to that player's tenure. The old team pays what's left. So, it's all about where the player wants to go next. :)

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Sigh.

Would it kill you to read all the way through before hitting the 'reply' button?

I could do that, but it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

To be honest, I did read it all the way through but misunderstood what you were saying.

I thought that you meant that Finley wouldn't accept the vet. minimum so the Suns could get another SG because of the money aspect.

Playing time hadn't even crossed my mind.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SAR - I'm sorry, but I think he is a horrible fit with the Phoenix Suns. The team does not need more scorers, and Shawn Marion is better at defending power forwards. I really don't think the Phoenix Suns want guys who are going to come in and take shots and not really help the team in any other area, especially for the entire mid-level exception.

Payton - he could be a possibility, but he would have to be satisfied with 25 minutes off the bench. I'm not sure if that would be acceptable to him.

Finley - same as above except he might be able to get 30 minutes if D'Antoni was creative.

Bell - Bell is absolutely not a point guard. He is a shooting guard all the way. He's a pretty good defender who could cover both point guards and shooting guards. I wouldn't give him anything more than the $1.7 million exception. He was paid $1.3 million this past season in Utah.

Lithuanian - I. don't understand this one unless he is a deadeye three-point shooter, and a strong defender. It doesn't sound like that's the case... at least not the latter.

Marshall - I've liked Marshall for a long time. He could be a very good fit for this team, but I suspect he's high on a few teams' wish lists. The question with him is the length of deal he would require. He's already 32 years old, so I don't think it makes much sense to commit to him for more than a few years. I think he used to be better defensively than he is today. I don't think I'd be happy if he got the entire mid-level exception unless they somehow stole a true quality big man for the minimum.

Chris Andersen - I like this guy. He plays hard. He doesn't back down from anyone. He blocks a lot of shots, but he's pretty good at man-to-man defense. He has a nice jump shot from 12-15 feet that he can nail somewhat consistently if he's open. He's strong on the boards. he's more of a power forward than a center though. He would definitely strengthen the frontcourt, and I would be happy with him for half of the mid-level exception. He's only 26.

Joe Mama

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:

Wow!

I didnt know that!

cool.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
SAR - I'm sorry, but I think he is a horrible fit with the Phoenix Suns. The team does not need more scorers, and Shawn Marion is better at defending power forwards. I really don't think the Phoenix Suns want guys who are going to come in and take shots and not really help the team in any other area, especially for the entire mid-level exception.

Payton - he could be a possibility, but he would have to be satisfied with 25 minutes off the bench. I'm not sure if that would be acceptable to him.

Finley - same as above except he might be able to get 30 minutes if D'Antoni was creative.

Bell - Bell is absolutely not a point guard. He is a shooting guard all the way. He's a pretty good defender who could cover both point guards and shooting guards. I wouldn't give him anything more than the $1.7 million exception. He was paid $1.3 million this past season in Utah.

Lithuanian - I. don't understand this one unless he is a deadeye three-point shooter, and a strong defender. It doesn't sound like that's the case... at least not the latter.

Marshall - I've liked Marshall for a long time. He could be a very good fit for this team, but I suspect he's high on a few teams' wish lists. The question with him is the length of deal he would require. He's already 32 years old, so I don't think it makes much sense to commit to him for more than a few years. I think he used to be better defensively than he is today. I don't think I'd be happy if he got the entire mid-level exception unless they somehow stole a true quality big man for the minimum.

Chris Andersen - I like this guy. He plays hard. He doesn't back down from anyone. He blocks a lot of shots, but he's pretty good at man-to-man defense. He has a nice jump shot from 12-15 feet that he can nail somewhat consistently if he's open. He's strong on the boards. he's more of a power forward than a center though. He would definitely strengthen the frontcourt, and I would be happy with him for half of the mid-level exception. He's only 26.

Joe Mama

:raccoon:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:

I read on this board that the oops palyer can still get half his new salary from his new club in addition to his old salary from his old club.

I had the thought that if Finley is bitter about Cuban dumping him that might help the Suns chances. Can you imagine the backlash in Big D if Finley signed with the Suns one year after MVP Nash was let go.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Joe Mama

Payton said he would like to play for the Suns. He listed the Suns as one of 3 teams he would consider.

Since Payton is an NBA player and he has seen the Suns roster don't you think he's already aware of the minutes that would be available?

Don't you think he'd have the same opportunity to earn minutes as any other player? If Payton comes into a game and the SUns go on a 20-0 run with Payton racking up dimes and making steals he's gonna stay in the game. If he's getting 30 minutes a game during an 8 game winning streak he'll probably keep getting minutes.

I'd think the Suns would tell Payton, "You can have as many minutes as you earn." Its not like the rest of the team is a bunch of rookies and Payton knows that.