Sunday Morning Cafe Au Lait: Name Your 2011 Starters With 1 Trade

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is idiocy like that that pushes me more and more towards dropping this dumb franchise all together in a messy sports divorce.

That would be wimpy whimperson of you. :) What does a messy sports divorce look like?

Seriously though, the more time goes by the more info leaks out and the root of most of this teams stupid moves lies at the feet of Bill Sr.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be wimpy whimperson of you. :) What does a messy sports divorce look like?

Seriously though, the more time goes by the more info leaks out and the root of most of this teams stupid moves lies at the feet of Bill Sr.
I just made it up. As if I could dump this team and watch follow Cutler and the Bears wholeheartedly/exclusively here in Chitown. ;)

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He wasn't a first-round draft pick--or a draft pick at all. And he was a fullback. I think the scuttlebutt on the real reason we passed on Terrell Suggs was because the family felt painted into a corner following the Jake Plummer experience and didn't want to have another hometown hero on the roster.

The Plummer era is nearly 10 years in the past. I honestly see no way that it could have any bearing on player/personnel today. I highly doubt passing on Suggs had anything to do with where he played college ball, but rather accumulate two first rounders

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just made it up. As if I could dump this team and watch follow Cutler and the Bears wholeheartedly/exclusively here in Chitown. ;)

I figured that, just was hoping to get more of a visual from a creative Mulli post.

This team is like being hooked on crack (I'm assuming), none of can just say no.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Plummer era is nearly 10 years in the past. I honestly see no way that it could have any bearing on player/personnel today. I highly doubt passing on Suggs had anything to do with where he played college ball, but rather accumulate two first rounders

If it were even a second-round pick, I don't think it would matter. But if you're looking at a Top 15 pick who couldn't stay academically eligible in high school, makes ridiculously stupid decisions on the field, may be too stupid to speak into a microphone, and comes from your local college program, I wonder if the spotlight isn't too bright to keep him here.

I think that's part of the reason that #7 turned out to be a bad fit here. He was 45 minutes away from home by plane, 7 hours by car, and his C-list LA entourage was always here. I think that if #7 had gone to Buffalo, that wouldn't have been a problem (although his arm strength would've been).

EDIT: It shouldn't have any bearing on player personnel whether it's 2011 or 2001, but it does. I would have drafted Suggs. But when a franchise has had a hard time getting itself endeared to the local fan base, making a player from the local college the defensive face of your organization gives you pause.

Last edited:

Bobcat

Reaction score
QB: Kolb* (for DRC)
RB: Hightower/Williams
FB: Sherman
TE: Boss/Housler
LT: Gaither
LG: Brown/Hadnot
C: Sendlein
RG: Lutui
RT: Keith/Bridges
WR: Fitzgerald
WR: Breaston/Roberts

DE: Dockett
NT: Williams
DE: Campbell
LOLB: Kiwanuka
LILB: Barnett
RILB: Washington
ROLB: Schofield
CB: Taylor
SS: Wilson
FS: Rhodes
CB: Peterson

P: Graham
LS: Leach
K: Feely
KR: Stephens-Howling
PR: Peterson

The only changes that I would be QB: Carson Palmer for Beanie Wells

Keep CB: DRC to play Opposite CB: Peterson.

Now that is a Defensive Secondary I could live with.

CB's: DRC - Peterson
SS: Wilson FS: Rhodes

Possibly the best Defensive Secondary in the NFL...!!!
:)
BOBCAT

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Possibly the best Defensive Secondary in the NFL...!!!
:)
BOBCAT

I think I've heard peeps here mention the Cards in the past with potentially having a great secondary & know I heard it last year. Until I see it I won't believe it!!! The edge pass rushers will be their undoing. Doesn't #24 still play in that secondary?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, about your proposed lineup. I think that I'd start Hadnot at LG and move Levi back to RT. And if I'm not satisfied with Hadnot, I'd move Keith inside to compete with him. Bridges would be my bench player, as it seems that he can fill in at both guard and tackle.

TJ

Reaction score
If it were even a second-round pick, I don't think it would matter. But if you're looking at a Top 15 pick who couldn't stay academically eligible in high school, makes ridiculously stupid decisions on the field, may be too stupid to speak into a microphone, and comes from your local college program, I wonder if the spotlight isn't too bright to keep him here.

I hate ASU with every fiber in my body, but I wouldnt mind having him on the Cards. While he is dumber than a box of rocks, he plays with intense energy, hits hard and gets into the opponent's head. As ASUCHRIS stated, he has gotten better at mitigating the dumb penalties. This upcoming season will be a true testament to his maturation process.

The monetary incentive for Mr. B is if the Cards were to take an ASU fan favorite, it would attract attention that could be somewhat impacted by this lockout.

I think that's part of the reason that #7 turned out to be a bad fit here. He was 45 minutes away from home by plane, 7 hours by car, and his C-list LA entourage was always here. I think that if #7 had gone to Buffalo, that wouldn't have been a problem (although his arm strength would've been).
Agree somewhat, but location does not address the core issue: his level of distraction and how to manage it. What's to say if he did play for Buffalo and he had a game at San Diego? Most likely, IMO, his mindset would be on how many family members and friends will be at the game and if coach would give him special exemption to stay behind go back to L.A.

EDIT: It shouldn't have any bearing on player personnel whether it's 2011 or 2001, but it does. I would have drafted Suggs. But when a franchise has had a hard time getting itself endeared to the local fan base, making a player from the local college the defensive face of your organization gives you pause.
I think this is purely speculative. It's hard to say one way or the other with a small sample size because ASU hasn't put many impact players in the NFL recently. Even still, besides ineptitude from Mr. Graves, why would the team pass on game changing talent because the player went to the college 20 miles from UofP??

Now let's say we were talking about the Dolphins and the Univ. of Miami. If the Dolphins kept passing on the "U" players, then there is a potential conflict or bias in the organization.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I hate ASU with every fiber in my body, but I wouldnt mind having him on the Cards. While he is dumber than a box of rocks, he plays with intense energy, hits hard and gets into the opponent's head. As ASUCHRIS stated, he has gotten better at mitigating the dumb penalties. This upcoming season will be a true testament to his maturation process.

The monetary incentive for Mr. B is if the Cards were to take an ASU fan favorite, it would attract attention that could be somewhat impacted by this lockout.

Nothing is going to change the fan interest in the team unless they win. Maybe there was a little interest in Max Hall's starts because he was a local kid, but it's not going to draw fans to the stadium, on the other hand, there's just a different level of investment in a city on one of their own. You could see the way that Atlanta was impacted when local hero Keith Brooking was allowed to leave for Dallas even when he was a shell of his former self.

It's possible that it's different now because the Cards aren't playing in the same building as the Sun Devils, but this is a famously risk-averse organization.

Agree somewhat, but location does not address the core issue: his level of distraction and how to manage it. What's to say if he did play for Buffalo and he had a game at San Diego? Most likely, IMO, his mindset would be on how many family members and friends will be at the game and if coach would give him special exemption to stay behind go back to L.A.

Wait for it...

I think this is purely speculative. It's hard to say one way or the other with a small sample size because ASU hasn't put many impact players in the NFL recently. Even still, besides ineptitude from Mr. Graves, why would the team pass on game changing talent because the player went to the college 20 miles from UofP??

Now let's say we were talking about the Dolphins and the Univ. of Miami. If the Dolphins kept passing on the "U" players, then there is a potential conflict or bias in the organization.

It's remarkable to me that you can write the above paragraph and then accuse me of being "purely speculative." You're a smart guy, but it's impossible to believe that you did this.

I gave you a/the reason that I think the team passed on a game-changing talent because he was local with Terrell Suggs. I think that after Plummer the Cards didn't want a guy on their team who would be bigger than the franchise in their own city. So they passed on Suggs. In some ways the same thing happened with #7 when he came here; he was a bigger story than his production from the beginning, and that's the definition of a "distraction." Denny Green was willing to accept distractions and maybe encouraged them (otherwise why compare Josh McCown to Brett Favre?), but Whis isn't going to play that way.

And the Cards aren't the only team to do this. Houston passed on Vince Young when there was immense pressure from the city to take a local kid. I think that one reason that Adam Pacman Jones struggled in Tennessee was because he was too close to West Virginia and Atlanta with the Titans; I don't see the off-field concerns happening if he were in San Diego or Indianapolis.

TJ

Reaction score
It's remarkable to me that you can write the above paragraph and then accuse me of being "purely speculative." You're a smart guy, but it's impossible to believe that you did this.

I gave you a/the reason that I think the team passed on a game-changing talent because he was local with Terrell Suggs. I think that after Plummer the Cards didn't want a guy on their team who would be bigger than the franchise in their own city. So they passed on Suggs. In some ways the same thing happened with #7 when he came here; he was a bigger story than his production from the beginning, and that's the definition of a "distraction." Denny Green was willing to accept distractions and maybe encouraged them (otherwise why compare Josh McCown to Brett Favre?), but Whis isn't going to play that way.

And the Cards aren't the only team to do this. Houston passed on Vince Young when there was immense pressure from the city to take a local kid. I think that one reason that Adam Pacman Jones struggled in Tennessee was because he was too close to West Virginia and Atlanta with the Titans; I don't see the off-field concerns happening if he were in San Diego or Indianapolis.

It wasnt intended to be insulting. Sorry if it came off that way. Just saying there really isn't much corroborating this and I want to see something aside from the 2003 trade which got us two 1st round picks instead of picking Suggs to see evidence of a potential bias towards ASU players. Simply put, I'll believe it when I see it.

But I agree this stuff does happen league round.

We'll agree to disagree on this subject. ;)