P: Graham
LS: Leach
K: Feely
KR: Stephens-Howling
PR: Peterson

jerseyred

Rookie
Reaction score
Mitch I like the lineup but Williams will be the starting running back....... l hope

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
We as Big Red fans can only hope & pray that we sign Gaither to play LT. I'm convinced that in hearing coaches have been somewhat pleased (depressing) with Levi that he will be play there in 2011 & hopefully shown the door next year.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
QB: Kolb* (for DRC)
RB: Hightower/Williams
FB: Sherman
TE: Boss/Housler
LT: Gaither
LG: Brown/Hadnot
C: Sendlein
RG: Lutui
RT: Keith/Bridges
WR: Fitzgerald
WR: Breaston/Roberts

DE: Dockett
NT: Williams
DE: Campbell
LOLB: Kiwanuka
LILB: Barnett
RILB: Washington
ROLB: Schofield
CB: Taylor
SS: Wilson
FS: Rhodes
CB: Peterson

I think I could live with that lineup. :D

If the Cards do indeed trade DRC for Kolb, I really hope they jump all over Taylor because I think he will be in high demand & wants to get paid...teams like Det, Hou, Bal & Dal will go hard after him.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
QB: Kolb* (for two second round picks or second and Hightower or Toler)
RB: Hightower/Wells/Williams/Stephens-Howling
TE: Spaach/Dray/Housler
LT: Brown/Bridges
LG: Hadnot/Bridges
C: Sendlein/Hadnot/Claxton
RG: Lutui/Bridges
WR: Fitzgerald/S. Williams
WR: Breaston/Doucet/Roberts

DE: Dockett/Branch/Carter
NT: Williams/Watson
DE: Campbell/Branch/Carter
LOLB: Haggans/Davis/Acho
LILB: Hayes/Lenon/Sturdivant
RILB: Washington/Lenon/Sturdivant
ROLB: Porter/Schofield/Obiozor
CB: DRC
SS: Wilson/Ware/Abdullah
FS: Rhodes/Johnson
CB: Toler
Nickle and Dime: Peterson/Adams/Jefferson

PR: Roberts/Peterson

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, I hope you're correct, but I have a few doubts.
1. I doubt we'll get Kiwanuka, because I would think, he'll stay in the NE. Having played at BC, I'm guessing NE would be after him, though I'd love for us to get him.
2. Have to admit I don't know who our ILB (Barrett) is?
3. Losing DRC is a BIG gamble, though I know the QB position is more important. I just feel that DRC is more of a sure thing than Kolb.
4. CC gave us his best guess at who the reserves will be, what's your guess?
5. Will Graham still be our punter?

Thanks to both Mitch and CC.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Mitch, I hope you're correct, but I have a few doubts.
1. I doubt we'll get Kiwanuka, because I would think, he'll stay in the NE. Having played at BC, I'm guessing NE would be after him, though I'd love for us to get him.
2. Have to admit I don't know who our ILB (Barrett) is?
3. Losing DRC is a BIG gamble, though I know the QB position is more important. I just feel that DRC is more of a sure thing than Kolb.
4. CC gave us his best guess at who the reserves will be, what's your guess?
5. Will Graham still be our punter?

Thanks to both Mitch and CC.

Hey, Garth: Nick Barnett (Green Bay), LB---soon to be released.

Good point about Kiwanuka---but I think we can outbid the Pats, who are reportedly high on signing OLB Matt Roth (Cleveland).

I think CC hit in on the head as what the Cardinals will do---my selections were what I would do---so here's my 53 Man Roster:

QB (3): Kolb, Skelton, Bartel (Hall---PS)
RB (4): Hightower, Wells, Williams, Stephens-Howling (Smith---PS)
FB (1): Sherman
TE (3): Boss, Housler, Dray
OL (8): Gaither, Brown, Hadnot, Sendlein, Lutui, Keith, Bridges, Pestock or Claxton (Rey Dominguez, T, UCFA Arkansas, Zach Hurd, G, UCFA Connecticut---PS)
WR (6): Fitzgerald, Breaston, Roberts, Williams, Komar, Sampson (Isaiah Williams---PS. Doucet to Dolphins for 2012 4th round pick)
DE (4): Dockett, Campbell, Branch, Carter (Iwebema---IR, Cedric Thornton UCFA Arkansas St, PS))
NT (2): Williams, Watson (Ian Williams UCFA-Notre Dame---PS)
ILB (4): Barnett, Washington, Walker, Lenon (Sturdivant, Nick Bellore UCFA Central Mighigan---PS)
OLB (6): Kiwanuka, Schofield, Haggans, Porter, Acho, Davis
CB (5): Taylor, Peterson, Toler, Adams, Jefferson (Green---PS)
S (4): Wilson, Rhodes, Johnson, Joe Lefeged (UCFA-Rutgers)
ST (3): Graham, Leach, Feely

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Good write up. My thoughts:

1. Beanie Wells will still be on the team. While he has underperformed, his ceiling is still very high and it would be absurd if we rid of him before his 3rd season.
  2. Kolb will be our QB, but not at the expense of DRC. It'll be for a draft pick(s).
  3. If we do trade DRC, I think we make a hard push for Ike Taylor. Look for Richard Marshall to be a cheap alternative
  4. Don't be surprised to see Steve Breaston gone if indeed the CBA gives players with 4+ years UFA status. If the Cardinals think his knee is still a problem, they wont offer him a lucrative deal and he'll bolt. The uncertainty at QB may also play a role in the decision. If that's the case, I think the team takes a look at Steve Smith (NYG). I just hope they dont put their eggs in Doucet's basket as the #2 receiver as they and one of his bones will eventually break during the season. I like my starters to play more than 9 games a season.
  5. I hope this team makes a run at Paul Posluszny for SILB.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Good point about Kiwanuka---but I think we can outbid the Pats, who are reportedly high on signing OLB Matt Roth (Cleveland).

Kiwi is very tough sell for any team. Big time neck injury last year should scare a lot of people.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts:

- I truly hope that ARZ upgrades at the OT spot. I hope they consider bringing in Gaither and my wish is that Mike Adams (OSU) decides to enter the Supplemental draft and ARZ uses a 3rd or 4th rounder on him.

- I pray we don't overpay for a QB, whether it be Kolb or Orton, and I believe trading DRC is overpaying. Call him what you want but how do you trade a Pro-Bowler with his abilities (he does have his deficiencies) for a guy that has played in a handful of games in his 3-4 year career and hasn't exactly lit the world on fire?

- Need to get a pass rusher, say no to Manny Lawson and target Kiwaunuka or some other RFA that becomes an UFA.

- If by chance we give up DRC in a trade, I hope ARZ goes after Richard Marshall over Ike Taylor. Marshall is younger and a better playmaker and will probably be cheaper.

- I am a supporter of letting 4 & 5 year guys become unrestricted and not giving teams multiple transition tags. Yes we probably would lose some of our guys but we could easily replace them from a larger pool of UFA's. It would help with price tags as there are going to be a lot of guys looking for jobs.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
QB: Palmer* (for Wells and 2012 3rd round pick) I still think Brown gets some sense
RB: Hightower ( at least to begin the season because Whis is loathe to start rooks at RB)
TE: Housler
LT: Brown
LG: Hadnot
RG: FA (I dont think Deuce want to be here)
RT: Bridges
WR: Breaston

LOLB: Haggans (the old man will play the role of Brian Robinson for ACHO)
LILB: Barnett (I agree, he could be a Card)
ROLB: Schofield (They are dumping Porter if does not agree to be situational Pass rusher only ALA Bert Berry)
CB: DRC (Cards realize trading him for Kolb is dumb and IKE wants WAY too much money)

P: F/A (I dont think the AUSSIE is retianed)

Last edited:

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
QB: Kolb* (for two second round picks or second and Hightower or Toler)
RB: Hightower/Wells/Williams/Stephens-Howling
TE: Spaach/Dray/Housler
LT: Brown/Bridges
LG: Hadnot/Bridges
C: Sendlein/Hadnot/Claxton
RG: Lutui/Bridges
WR: Fitzgerald/S. Williams
WR: Breaston/Doucet/Roberts

DE: Dockett/Branch/Carter
NT: Williams/Watson
DE: Campbell/Branch/Carter
LOLB: Haggans/Davis/Acho
LILB: Hayes/Lenon/Sturdivant
RILB: Washington/Lenon/Sturdivant
ROLB: Porter/Schofield/Obiozor
CB: DRC
SS: Wilson/Ware/Abdullah
FS: Rhodes/Johnson
CB: Toler
Nickle and Dime: Peterson/Adams/Jefferson

PR: Roberts/Peterson

CC remember when the new CBA is signed all teams will have to spend 92-100% of the cap in real dollars each year. That means the Cardinals will have to spend around 47- 50 mil this year on players. I also think the cap with the 1 billion added will raise the cap up to around 135 - 137 million. You only have us getting Knob.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
CC remember when the new CBA is signed all teams will have to spend 92-100% of the cap in real dollars each year. That means the Cardinals will have to spend around 47- 50 mil this year on players. I also think the cap with the 1 billion added will raise the cap up to around 135 - 137 million. You only have us getting Knob.

I don't know what the CAP will be, nor do I know the final amount being spent on player compensation under existing contracts. There are always accelerators and bonus, that are not included in the gross figure we see reported.

That said: we would in fact be adding Kolb, Lutui, Sendlein, Breaston, Branch, Watson, Abdullah and Ware...all of whom need new deals. We also have to consider that Fitz is on the last year of his contract. This in total will eat up a considerable part of the CAP available. Doesn't mean, however, that we can't add reasonably priced depth to our O-line and some additional LB help.

Last edited:

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
I don't know what the CAP will be, nor do I know the final amount being spent on player compensation under existing contracts. There are always accelerators and bonus, that are not included in the gross figure we see reported.

That said: we would in fact be adding Kolb, Lutui, Sendlein, Breaston, Branch, Watson, Abdullah and Ware...all of whom need new deals. We also have to consider that Fitz is on the last year of his contract. This in total will eat up a considerable part of the CAP available. Doesn't mean, however, that we can't add reasonably priced depth to our O-line and some additional LB help.

Joeshmo has us at 87 mil and if they get back that extra 1billion that adds another 15 mil to the cap. Doing my math i am around 148 mil for the cap the year.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bit surprised at the interest in Barnett. Solid player, but he's not a 'ILB-thumper', and has been injury plagued. We need a replacement for Hayes, not an upgrade on Lenon.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Mitch I like the lineup but Williams will be the starting running back....... l hope

I do not think Williams will be the stater for the simple reason he will not know the play book well enough. These guys will probably not get into training camp until August and will not have access to the play book. You just do not learn an NFL playbook in 30 days or less. Maybe by October he could be a starter? Some rookies who may have been starters under normal circumstances may be sitting and only coming in for relief and experience. If we get off to a real bad start then we may see more of them.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts:

- I truly hope that ARZ upgrades at the OT spot. I hope they consider bringing in Gaither and my wish is that Mike Adams (OSU) decides to enter the Supplemental draft and ARZ uses a 3rd or 4th rounder on him.

- I pray we don't overpay for a QB, whether it be Kolb or Orton, and I believe trading DRC is overpaying. Call him what you want but how do you trade a Pro-Bowler with his abilities (he does have his deficiencies) for a guy that has played in a handful of games in his 3-4 year career and hasn't exactly lit the world on fire?

- Need to get a pass rusher, say no to Manny Lawson and target Kiwaunuka or some other RFA that becomes an UFA.

- If by chance we give up DRC in a trade, I hope ARZ goes after Richard Marshall over Ike Taylor. Marshall is younger and a better playmaker and will probably be cheaper.

- I am a supporter of letting 4 & 5 year guys become unrestricted and not giving teams multiple transition tags. Yes we probably would lose some of our guys but we could easily replace them from a larger pool of UFA's. It would help with price tags as there are going to be a lot of guys looking for jobs.

I think DRC is a sure fire starter and Kolb is rolling the dice. I do not like a (DRC) sure thing for a Kolb in the bush

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
QB: Palmer* (for Wells and 2012 3rd round pick) I still think Brown gets some sense
RB: Hightower ( at least to begin the season because Whis is loathe to start rooks at RB)
TE: Housler
LT: Brown
LG: Hadnot
RG: FA (I dont think Deuce want to be here)
RT: Bridges
WR: Breaston

LOLB: Haggans (the old man will play the role of Brian Robinson for ACHO)
LILB: Barnett (I agree, he could be a Card)
ROLB: Schofield (They are dumping Porter if does not agree to be situational Pass rusher only ALA Bert Berry)
CB: DRC (Cards realize trading him for Kolb is dumb and IKE wants WAY too much money)

P: F/A (I dont think the AUSSIE is retianed)

So many people are picking Kolb as the starter that is reason enough for me to think it will not happen. When do the Cards do the right thing? Not very often based on record. I have given up on guessing who our QB will be. I do not know which would be for us best anyway. I do know (IMHO) that we should not give up a starter like DRC or a first round draft choice.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

But that's not at the beginning of training camp or the regular season. The Cards ran up against this "problem" in Graves' first season. He ended up extending (IIRC) Small Play Ray Thompson, L.J. Shelton, and maybe Anthony Clement (maybe someone else, too) right up against the deadline (I think it's week 9), otherwise that money would've been divvied up across the roster equally.

Kolb is going to get a 6-year, $55 million contract from someone and $30 million of it will come in the first two or three years. Getting to the cap won't be a problem unless there's a mass exodus from Hardy Drive that has nothing to do with money.

Bit surprised at the interest in Barnett. Solid player, but he's not a 'ILB-thumper', and has been injury plagued. We need a replacement for Hayes, not an upgrade on Lenon.

Barnett played MLB when the Packers ran a 4-3 and wasn't exactly engulfed by blockers. He's small, but he can play the SILB position (and did for Green Bay before he was injured this year). Good player.

Apparently Washington is going to stay at the SILB position in our defense? That's what they said on the Cards Underground Podcast last week. Odd decision, but they were saying that we needed to find a WILB in free agency. Maybe they're keeping Daryl Washington there, which means more six-yard runs up the middle.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
But that's not at the beginning of training camp or the regular season. The Cards ran up against this "problem" in Graves' first season. He ended up extending (IIRC) Small Play Ray Thompson, L.J. Shelton, and maybe Anthony Clement (maybe someone else, too) right up against the deadline (I think it's week 9), otherwise that money would've been divvied up across the roster equally.

Kolb is going to get a 6-year, $55 million contract from someone and $30 million of it will come in the first two or three years. Getting to the cap won't be a problem unless there's a mass exodus from Hardy Drive that has nothing to do with money.

Barnett played MLB when the Packers ran a 4-3 and wasn't exactly engulfed by blockers. He's small, but he can play the SILB position (and did for Green Bay before he was injured this year). Good player.

Apparently Washington is going to stay at the SILB position in our defense? That's what they said on the Cards Underground Podcast last week. Odd decision, but they were saying that we needed to find a WILB in free agency. Maybe they're keeping Daryl Washington there, which means more six-yard runs up the middle.

We know you're a big fan...

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So they are "keeping" him where? You lost me here.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So they are "keeping" him where? You lost me here.

SILB (Gerald Hayes's old position). That's (maybe) why Washington went to the bench when Hayes came back. Lenon was playing the WILB position all season long. Wolfley (I think) said on CU that the Cards need a better WILB in free agency.

K-9's convoluted way of saying, that no matter where they play him... Washington stinks!

No. Washington just isn't as good as Karlos Dansby, and probably won't ever be. I'm interested to see him next year and hope he develops into a player we're not going to have to replace with an even higher draft pick. Drafting Daryl Washington in the first round would've been a disaster (not sure anyone would disagree with this); trading up in the first IMO indicates that he was overdrafted because of a self-created need. But he's pretty low on the list of problems on our defense, and he has lots of room to grow.

Leaving Daryl Washington at SILB (should it happen) is an indictment of a coaching staff that does not put players in a position to succeed (on either side of the ball) more than it is of Washington's ability as a player. Washington is an NFL player. He probably wasn't ready to be an NFL starter, but even Krang I think would agree that asking Daryl Washington to take on 320 lbs NFL guards down after down or 260 lbs NFL fullbacks is not the way to make sure that he succeeds. Why you would sacrifice Daryl Washington's assets to showcase Paris Lenon last year is beyond my ken.