Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think we need to add 2 quality rotation players and have good health all season just to fall in with the other pretenders (LAL, GSW, LAC etc.)
If we add 2 quality rotation players to what we have now and have good health all season I think there’s an outside chance we are actually a contender if the coaching is a big improvement.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we need to add 2 quality rotation players and have good health all season just to fall in with the other pretenders (LAL, GSW, LAC etc.)
I'm not sure why you keep listing GSW above us. They didn't even make the playoffs last season and are going to be losing big chunks of their team. And rhe Clippers are just as dependent on good health all season so making it seem like falling in line with them is some kind of arduous task strikes me as odd also.

I'd say as is, we're pretty much right in line with those teams, if not slightly better than GS. If we were to get 2 quality rotation players and have good health, I think we'd easily be better than those three, assuming they have their usual problems.

all that said, don't mistake any of my response being one of unbridled optimism. being in league with the utter pretenders of the West isn't something to beat your chest about. I just think you're painting a more dire picture than actually necessary considering all the challenges those other pretenders face.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we add 2 quality rotation players to what we have now and have good health all season I think there’s an outside chance we are actually a contender if the coaching is a big improvement.
I do too, but getting 2 quality rotation players and having good health, feels like a herculean combo for this team to accompllsh.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think it's fascinating that the Lebron rumor had enough steam that Rich Paul actually addressed it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some important dates to remember in preparation for the 2024-25 season.

By Bobby Marks, ESPN Apr 13, 2024, 08:00 AM ET:

TBD (first day after the NBA Finals)

• Teams can begin negotiating with their own free agents
June 26-27

• 2024 NBA draft
June 29

• Last day for a team or player option to be exercised
  • Last day for a player to receive a Qualifying Offer
June 30

• Free agent negotiations can begin with players not on your own team (6 p.m. ET)
July 1

• Free agency moratorium (12:01 a.m. ET)
  • First-round selections can sign contracts
  • Minimum contracts (2 years or less) can sign
  • Offer sheets can be extended to a player
  • Restricted free agents can sign an offer sheet
  • Third-year and fourth-year rookie options can be exercised
  • Two-way contracts can be signed and converted
July 6

• Free agency begins (Noon ET)
  • Teams can officially sign free agents
  • Trades can become official
  • Rookie-scale and veteran contracts can be extended
  • Clock on offer sheets begins
July TBD

• USA Basketball training camp (Las Vegas)
July 6-9

• Sacramento summer league
July 8-10

• Utah summer league
July 10

• USA Basketball exhibition vs. Canada (Las Vegas)
July 12-22

• NBA 2K Vegas Summer League
July 13

• Last day to withdraw a Qualifying Offer
July 20

• USA Basketball exhibition vs. South Sudan (London)
July 22

• USA Basketball exhibition vs. Germany (London)
July 27-Aug. 11

• Olympics (Paris)
Aug. 31

• Last day to use the waive-and-stretch provision
Sept. 27

• Training camp begins for teams playing outside North America
Oct. 1

• Training camp begins for teams not playing outside North America
Oct. 19

• Last day to waive a player on a non-guaranteed contract and not incur a salary cap charge
Oct. 21

• Last day of the offseason
  • Last date to sign a rookie scale or veteran extension (if more than one season is left. If a player has an option, he is allowed to extend up until June 30)
  • Last day a player can sign a designated veteran (supermax) extension
  • Rosters set for NBA opening day (5 p.m. ET)
  • Last day to sign-and-trade a free agent
  • Last day a player with an Exhibit 10 contract can be converted to a two-way
Oct. 22

• Regular season begins
Oct. 31

• Deadline to exercise third-year and fourth-year team options on rookie contracts

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
eh... these are the type of guys we're likely gonna get stuck with, huh?
Probably not much options otherwise. At least it's an attempt to address a serious deficiency, whether successful or not.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Unless he was not utilized properly by the former coaching staff, his exit is fine with me.

Most games he was looking for the broad side of a barn without the success that came with him when he was acquired.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
IDK, Gordon was nails at the beginning of the year. Most here were happy we had him. Then he started not getting minutes, and hit some struggle games. Not sure if injury was a factor? Fatigue? He has skills, but they did drop off as the season went along. The article above notes migraines before the playoffs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless he was not utilized properly by the former coaching staff, his exit is fine with me.

Most games he was looking for the broad side of a barn without the success that came with him when he was acquired.
The problem with this, the Suns are unlikely to find anyone better for the money.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IDK, Gordon was nails at the beginning of the year. Most here were happy we had him. Then he started not getting minutes, and hit some struggle games. Not sure if injury was a factor? Fatigue? He has skills, but they did drop off as the season went along. The article above notes migraines before the playoffs.

I looked up his splits and his production definitely dipped. He was averaging 14 ppg on 47% shooting, 43% from 3, in November but he did start 10 of 13 games. He appeared to shoot the same in February, 47% overall and 42% from 3 but only scoring 11 ppg. After February he sucked. In March he was 42% overall and 38% from 3 for 8 ppg. In April he was putrid, 33% overall and 26% from 3 for 5 ppg.

There has to have been some more going on. I know he's older but his minutes didn't dip all that much.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I looked up his splits and his production definitely dipped. He was averaging 14 ppg on 47% shooting, 43% from 3, in November but he did start 10 of 13 games. He appeared to shoot the same in February, 47% overall and 42% from 3 but only scoring 11 ppg. After February he sucked. In March he was 42% overall and 38% from 3 for 8 ppg. In April he was putrid, 33% overall and 26% from 3 for 5 ppg.

There has to have been some more going on. I know he's older but his minutes didn't dip all that much.
For Gordon, it was all about starting. February was when Beal finally started games at a normal pace.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with this, the Suns are unlikely to find anyone better for the money.

Unfortunately, this.

And for the money, he’s not bad and would be good for a team that didn’t depend on him as much as we did.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Gordon was basically the only min player from last season that worked out, but his role is slightly redundant with Allen (and to a lesser extent, O'neale).

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo said he doesn't expect Gordon to be back but wouldn't rule it out. Sounds like Gordon is going to take some convincing from the new coach or he is out of here. On a team that cannot afford to lost productive guys off the bench? It will be a blow and he will be hard to replace.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Gambo said he doesn't expect Gordon to be back but wouldn't rule it out. Sounds like Gordon is going to take some convincing from the new coach or he is out of here. On a team that cannot afford to lost productive guys off the bench? It will be a blow and he will be hard to replace.
If Coach Bud wants him, I bet he can talk him into playing. If there's no plan for him, we will probably see him decline the option.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I'm in the camp where they should be subtly pushing for Gordon to decline the option.

Barring injury, top 5 minutes will probably be:
Book
KD
Beal
Nurk
Allen

Then ideally it should be:
O'Neale
Backup PG (Lowry? Cam Payne? Rookie?)
Backup C / Drew Eubanks replacement (Bol?)
Backup guard <-Gordon's minutes would be here

I get the sense he wouldn't be happy with this role, so might as well cut bait now.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in the camp where they should be subtly pushing for Gordon to decline the option.

Barring injury, top 5 minutes will probably be:
Book
KD
Beal
Nurk
Allen

Then ideally it should be:
O'Neale
Backup PG (Lowry? Cam Payne? Rookie?)
Backup C / Drew Eubanks replacement (Bol?)
Backup guard <-Gordon's minutes would be here

I get the sense he wouldn't be happy with this role, so might as well cut bait now.
Who are you going to get that is better than Gordon? You can't get better by taking on inferior players. If Gordon walks you better have something better or you just made the team worse. He definitely created space with his 3 point shooting. Even with him the Suns needed MORE 3 point shooting. I just see the Suns getting worse from 3 not better if he moves on.