Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we add 2 quality rotation players to what we have now and have good health all season I think there’s an outside chance we are actually a contender if the coaching is a big improvement.
You're dreaming.

We have 5 legit nba players (calling Nurkic legit is actually a bit of a stretch) on the roster and we have to fill the rest with minimum salaries and a the 22nd pick.

There is no way in my mind this team is better than last year.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Some targets:
- Josh Richardson (highly unlikely, he's got a player option)
- Justin Holiday
- Torrey Craig
- Lonny Walker
- Delon Wright

I just think there's guys out there that can bring more to the table than Gordon at this stage of his career.
I don't think any of those guys are better than Gordon.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The podcast I was listening to said his numbers DECLINED on the Suns from what he was averaging in Portland. The Suns were hoping he would take off playing with better talent. They thought he would be one of those mid level guys waiting to take off. That strategy did not work out for James Jones at all statistically. Way more misses than hits.
Well I blame the coaching, I just don't think he was utilized correctly. He actually was a pretty decent finisher but we barely ever fed him the ball.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't think any of those guys are better than Gordon.
I agree. We do need more length and youth on this squad looking at the Western Conference. Don't know where that is coming from unless we draft a guy and use the 2031 pick to get another.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. We do need more length and youth on this squad looking at the Western Conference. Don't know where that is coming from unless we draft a guy and use the 2031 pick to get another.
We aren't going to get them.

This is why I keep saying we have to trade KD and start the rebuild.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We aren't going to get them.

This is why I keep saying we have to trade KD and start the rebuild.
Technically, no one would trade for Nurkic or Beal with their contracts, but if you could trade them, you could get 2 to 3 people for each trade. You could keep KD, which they seem intent on doing. You would still have Allen and Oneal, too. I don't think that is probable at all, but it is possible.

Yes, KD would be the best piece assuming we aren't trading Booker. We could trade for a bunch of guys and maybe a pick or two. You almost have to have someone like KD give you the green light for the trade, and OK where he is going.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Technically, no one would trade for Nurkic or Beal with their contracts, but if you could trade them, you could get 2 to 3 people for each trade. You could keep KD, which they seem intent on doing. You would still have Allen and Oneal, too. I don't think that is probable at all, but it is possible.

Yes, KD would be the best piece assuming we aren't trading Booker. We could trade for a bunch of guys and maybe a pick or two. You almost have to have someone like KD give you the green light for the trade, and OK where he is going.
I will make a prediction right now, KD will be asking for a trade by the deadline because things will be going badly.

I really wish I wasn't so pessimistic but I just am.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will make a prediction right now, KD will be asking for a trade by the deadline because things will be going badly.

I said this same thing. It's either going to be the Suns throwing in the towel and starting a fire sale or KD is going to be frustrated that we are not winning. The only thing that prevents this is the Suns looking like contenders by the deadline.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Man you really need to up your pessimism game. It could be worse. He could swear his love for the valley, talk them into another max extension and just enjoy many more years of low expectation hoops.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think any of those guys moves the needle when you are talking about losing Gordon. Adding some of the guys while keeping Gordon is another story.
This. If there is ANY hope of this team being better next year, it’s got to be a “Yes and…” situation with the previous roster, not “instead of…”. Especially when we’re not talking about Gordon taking up something like an MLE exception. He’s a minimum guy, who wouldn’t be taking away money from any other young hungry minimum guy we’d hope to sign.
I understand if this is what the Suns told Eubanks.

However, from my perspective, he was well worth a roster spot.

I would have preferred to keep him if he would accept a lesser role.

There are only so many minutes to go around and dudes who feel that they signed below market value are not going to be happy if they're glued to the bench.

Gordon wasn't happy last year, even early on when he was getting a lot of playing time and taking a good portion of our shots. If he returns and sees his role even further reduced, we'd probably rather he wasn't around.

Similarly, Eubanks almost certainly is a better player than whoever fills out the last 4 or 5 spots on the roster. Would he be happy in that kind of role? Heck no.

Chemistry matters, we can't have a bunch of dudes all whining about playing time and touches.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damion Lee will exercise his player option and stay with the Suns.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Man you really need to up your pessimism game. It could be worse. He could swear his love for the valley, talk them into another max extension and just enjoy many more years of low expectation hoops.

Shoot me in the face if that happens. Ishbia seems like the kind of owner that might double down on his failed superteam creation so I’m not ruling it out. I know the Suns aren’t going to trade KD but they’re really missing a golden opportunity given the numbers he just posted and his contract situation being manageable. You know teams in the east would be calling to make offers… The Knicks, 76ers, Cavs Heat and Magic all will be trying to catch up to Boston. Maybe they will be more desperate at the deadline.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shoot me in the face if that happens. Ishbia seems like the kind of owner that might double down on his failed superteam creation so I’m not ruling it out. I know the Suns aren’t going to trade KD but they’re really missing a golden opportunity given the numbers he just posted and his contract situation being manageable. You know teams in the east would be calling to make offers… The Knicks, 76ers, Cavs Heat and Magic all will be trying to catch up to Boston. Maybe they will be more desperate at the deadline.
I forget… can teams combine multiple players and their salaries to match KD’s with us over the apron, or does it have to be a 1 to 1 deal?

If so, one dream trade I heard today was if Mitchell stays, a KD for Evan Mobley and salary filler deal. I’d hop on that in a nano-second.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns can only send out one player in a trade because they are above the second tax apron, but they can receive multiple players in return if the salaries are the same or less than the outgoing player.

In other words, the Suns can't aggregate their own players in a trade.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns can only send out one player in a trade because they are above the second tax apron, but they can receive multiple players in return if the salaries are the same or less than the outgoing player.

Then if that rumored Mobley deal is EVER on the table, we better say yes before the phone even rings.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I forget… can teams combine multiple players and their salaries to match KD’s with us over the apron, or does it have to be a 1 to 1 deal?

If so, one dream trade I heard today was if Mitchell stays, a KD for Evan Mobley and salary filler deal. I’d hop on that in a nano-second.
Other teams can combine, but we can't. We can take back multiple guys if we trade KD.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

BORG! :)

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

- They can take back multiple players but not send out more than one player in a deal

- They can’t take back more salary than they send out

- They can’t trade with another 2nd apron team

- No sign & trades either way

- No trade exemptions or cash involved in any trades

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I thought the restriction was about many for one, but not many for many trades.
It is to keep us from packing multiple guys to add an even more expensive guy to the roster. We can get lesser paid guys back for one guy. We can't do many to many until we get under the second apron. "Outgoing salaries cannot be aggregated or combined in trades." No combining in many to many situations.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then if that rumored Mobley deal is EVER on the table, we better say yes before the phone even rings.

I don't see any team trading for KD unless they get the sense that he'd want to be there and I don't think KD will want anything to do with Cleveland.

If KD ends up on the move he will probably only give us a couple options.

EDIT: Just remembered the whole "Dan Gilbert and Ishbia utterly despise each other" aspect. I don't see us making any deals with Cleveland until one of those 2 is out of the picture.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't see any team trading for KD unless they get the sense that he'd want to be there and I don't think KD will want anything to do with Cleveland.

EDIT: Just remembered the whole "Dan Gilbert and Ishbia utterly despise each other" aspect. I don't see us making any deals with Cleveland until one of those 2 is out of the picture.
Or maybe if both of them thought they were screwing the other guy? :shrug:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

Indeed. I would guess the short list might be NY, Philly, LAL, LAC, Miami, back to GS (maybe), Dallas (maybe)... and I'm not sure where else.