Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still wouldn't mind having Jackson on the 15-man roster unless the Suns can find better. He was a thorn in the Suns side with the Clippers.
Those days are mostly behind him. The Suns are going to have some of the same struggles because they have not addressed PG. Have no clue if they even can now. I thought for sure they would grab a big guy or wing and PG. Now what?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those days are mostly behind him. The Suns are going to have some of the same struggles because they have not addressed PG. Have no clue if they even can now. I thought for sure they would grab a big guy or wing and PG. Now what?

There are always veteran minimum point guards available early. This was why it was so frustrating to watch the Suns not pursue one last season.

Here is a list of some potential free agent candidates. Point guard Kris Dunn would be nice. Also, the Suns still have a 1st round pick to trade.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am glad we have signed three young bigs so far. We needed more youth, and size. Hopefully we get a veteran big and a veteran PG.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is still a possibility Okogie could stay with the Suns, but the gate is open for him to leave.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okogie just opted out of his contract for next year. My guess is he saw Dunn get drafted as his replacement and is looking for another team to give him more playing time.
Wait...on the radio they are saying Okogie opted out but the Suns are still working on signing him for a contract slightly more than the vet minimum. They didn't explain how that works.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait...on the radio they are saying Okogie opted out but the Suns are still working on signing him for a contract slightly more than the vet minimum. They didn't explain how that works.
How can they sign him to more with the apron/FA agent rules?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is how the Suns can pay Okogie more money than the veteran minimum. They have his Early Bird Rights.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Okogie just opted out of his contract for next year. My guess is he saw Dunn get drafted as his replacement and is looking for another team to give him more playing time.
I was thinking that too. It frees up a roster spot. Theoretically assuming we sign our first round pick to a roster spot. That would leave 4 open counting Okogie on the roster. So that makes five now. If we resign Bol Bol, then we would have 4 open again. We do have one more two way open now.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know we want higher salaries for trade pieces, but would this help if he had a higher trade value? He's a defensive dominant player that drives to the hole to score. IF only he would develop a three point shot, he would literally double or triple his value on the open market.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, the Suns presently have (2) two-way contracts open after adding Jalen Bridges to a spot. The NBA allows a team to have three players on these contracts.

I believe Ish Wainright and Saban Lee are no longer eligible.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
As I understand it, the Suns presently have (2) two-way contracts open after adding Jalen Bridges to a spot. The NBA allows a team to have three players on these contracts.

I believe Ish Wainright and Saban Lee are no longer eligible.
I think you are right. I may be losing track of a guy here or there, but before resigning Bol Bol, if that happens, I think we have 4 roster spots open? :shrug:

Beal, Booker, KD, Nurkic, Allen, Little, Roddy, Lee signed. That's 8. Oneal will make 9. Ryan Dunn and Iso Ighodaro make 11.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you are right. I may be losing track of a guy here or there, but before resigning Bol Bol, if that happens, I think we have 4 roster spots open? :shrug:

Beal, Booker, KD, Nurkic, Allen, Little, Roddy, Lee signed. That's 8. Oneal will make 9. Ryan Dunn and Iso Ighodaro make 11.

It sounds right. Unless someone returns like Okogie or Bol Bol return, the Suns have four open roster spots to fill for a 15-man roster.

I believe the Suns can at least temporarily stay at 14 players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope the Suns add two point guards. A sort of double tap just to be sure.

Yeah, the Suns need to add more size as well.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hope the Suns add two point guards. A sort of double tap just to be sure.

Yeah, the Suns need to add more size as well.

I am sorta over Okogie. He had a lot of potential, but he just has not improved his game. Maybe Bud sees more there. I am really looking forward to new coaching. Never had any positive expectations of Vogel.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am sorta over Okogie. He had a lot of potential, but he just has not improved his game. Maybe Bud sees more there. I am really looking forward to new coaching. Never had any positive expectations of Vogel.
I think we are looking at keeping the big three, obviously. It looks like they are looking for defensive options to pair with them to slow down guys like Antman, and Doncic. Obviously we don't have answers for those type of players when we are in playoff mode. Does Okogie help another guy by pairing up defensively and allowing the big three to carry the offense? IDK. Because of his poor shooting he's cheap. He really needs to employ TJ Warren's Dad to make him a good shooter. TJ's dad had him shooting hundreds of shots every day in the offseason to develop his three point shot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get me a couple of these point guards: Delon Wright, Reggie Jackson, Cam Payne, Kris Dunn, Kyle Lowry, Raul Neto, Monte Morris, Dennis Smith Jr. or someone else who becomes available.

IMO, the Suns did Cam Payne wrong, but he alone is not the answer.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Get me a couple of these point guards: Delon Wright, Reggie Jackson, Cam Payne, Kris Dunn, Kyle Lowry, Raul Neto, Monte Morris, Dennis Smith Jr. or someone else who becomes available.

IMO, the Suns did Cam Payne wrong, but he alone is not the answer.

I was just reading today, after he left the Suns, he was traded twice! But he still managed to improve his three point shooting to 40 percent. Still, I agree there are guys I like better. However, we have to get them to agree to play for vet minimum. Kyle Lowry, who I know is old, his stat line is intriguing. I am also intrigued by Delon Wright. I think Kris Dunn is too hot of a commodity for us to get.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
Okogie signed the deal last offseason, with kinda promise of better deal this offseason using early Bird. He didn't mesh well with Vogel, so that hurt his market value. I guess Suns could sign him for 4-5mil a year deal, slightly higher than his current 2.9m

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just reading today, after he left the Suns, he was traded twice! But he still managed to improve his three point shooting to 40 percent. Still, I agree there are guys I like better. However, we have to get them to agree to play for vet minimum. Kyle Lowry, who I know is old, his stat line is intriguing. I am also intrigued by Delon Wright. I think Kris Dunn is too hot of a commodity for us to get.

I like the point guards you mention. Lowry is solid veteran who knows how to win.

However, beggars can't be choosers, so I would be happy to add a couple of veterans. It never hurts to have insurance.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I would take Lowry. He isn't going to set the world on fire anymore but he would be a steady ballhandler in situations when we really need one (like the end of games).

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I might be wrong, but I think a simply competent point guard can look like a borderline all-star playing with this roster. Take care of the ball, make a simple pass, run a basic pick and roll, hit an open three. Nothing fancy- just basic stuff.