Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
I recall the previous year Suns fans didn't want to trade Crowder for GAllen straightup. There was good reason GA was just throw in in that Liliard trade. He improved a lot on defense with the Suns, but his shooting is not good enough yet to be a starter on any contending teams, say the qrt final teams of the recent playoff. He could be replaced by Burks, Hield, Joe, Wiggins, Divincinzo's of the league without much loss.
Both him and RO I expect the Suns would trade for more useful pieces somewhen later, like RO to Portland for MRobinson etc.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm now terrified we're paying Grayson almost $20 million a year.

I pretty distant from the Grayson fan club, but there is a world of difference between him and Kennard.

Grayson is a poor defender, a willing defender, he tries hard, willing to take risky efforts to stop a play (sometimes, reckless if you will) but he really struggles to keep guys in front of him and he doesn't have the length or hops to keep shooters honest. Meanwhile, Kennard is a ghost, one of those "team is 4 on 5" type of defenders.

More importantly, Kennard has a bum knee. Teams might take a risk and spend on a star who has a huge injury red flag, but they're not going to do it for someone who's only attribute is spot up three point shooting.

Extremely injury prone... awful at everything but outside shooting... Kennard is basically Damion Lee.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I recall the previous year Suns fans didn't want to trade Crowder for GAllen straightup. There was good reason GA was just throw in in that Liliard trade. He improved a lot on defense with the Suns, but his shooting is not good enough yet to be a starter on any contending teams, say the qrt final teams of the recent playoff. He could be replaced by Burks, Hield, Joe, Wiggins, Divincinzo's of the league without much loss.
Both him and RO I expect the Suns would trade for more useful pieces somewhen later, like RO to Portland for MRobinson etc.
One of those guys might be right, for you, but maybe not for the Suns, or Ishbia, or the player, or team, contract or?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That wasn't a basketball value issue, it was because those of us that watched his antics in college wanted nothing to do with Grayson the human being. Fortunately those few who believed he'd matured beyond that behavior have so far proved to be correct.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I’m excited for next season. I really believe Bud will make a difference
I can't see where he could dream up a worse offense for the Suns. I guess it's always possible. The bar is so low that a change almost has to bring improvement in our team offense. Bud likes to have his team run, and some of the best moments we had last season were the few times we pushed the ball up the court and got open court looks at the basket.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m excited for next season. I really believe Bud will make a difference
I can't quite go this far but I am slightly more hopeful this season than last though not about winning it all. I don't believe our big 3 can win us a championship but I like the direction the team appears to be going and think Bud will make a difference over the next several years.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I can't quite go this far but I am slightly more hopeful this season than last though not about winning it all. I don't believe our big 3 can win us a championship but I like the direction the team appears to be going and think Bud will make a difference over the next several years.
I am not keen on our post season chances either. I am excited that our regular season games should be more fun to watch. Last season there seemed like only a handful of games that were actually really fun to watch. From what I have read about Coach Bud, pacing and schemes should be better. Plus we finally have some rookies to watch this season, and maybe that will bring some excitement. After this season we will have bird rights on Boi Bol. It would be nice to see him take another step forward in his play.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I found an article written on January 11, 2024. At that point in the season, this is what was listed by The Athletic:

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Found this from Inside the Suns with ten games left in the season, no totals but interesting stats:

"With just 10 games remaining in the 2023-24 season, the Suns have the worst fourth-quarter net rating in the NBA—and it's not even particularly close. Phoenix is outscored by opponents by 14.1 points per 100 possessions, more than double the next-worst team (Miami Heat at -7.0) and nearly seven times worse than the lowly Detroit Pistons (-2.5).

"In total, the Suns have been outscored by 217 points in the fourth quarter. By contrast, they've outscored their opponents by 427 points in the other three quarters combined."

The latest issue came when Phoenix fumbled a second half lead to a vastly inferior San Antonio Spurs without their best player in Victor Wembanyama, a loss Vogel deemed unacceptable.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I am not keen on our post season chances either. I am excited that our regular season games should be more fun to watch. Last season there seemed like only a handful of games that were actually really fun to watch. From what I have read about Coach Bud, pacing and schemes should be better. Plus we finally have some rookies to watch this season, and maybe that will bring some excitement. After this season we will have bird rights on Boi Bol. It would be nice to see him take another step forward in his play.
That's all I really want this season is a more fun regular season. Anything else is gravy. I think that is a pretty low bar since my expectations were so much higher at the start of last season. Now I just want us to compete and play a better brand of basketball with no postseason expectations other than making the playoffs. Well...I would like to see us compete better in the first round next year. At least win a game or two. I don't think that is too much to ask.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Found this from Inside the Suns with ten games left in the season, no totals but interesting stats:

"With just 10 games remaining in the 2023-24 season, the Suns have the worst fourth-quarter net rating in the NBA—and it's not even particularly close. Phoenix is outscored by opponents by 14.1 points per 100 possessions, more than double the next-worst team (Miami Heat at -7.0) and nearly seven times worse than the lowly Detroit Pistons (-2.5).

"In total, the Suns have been outscored by 217 points in the fourth quarter. By contrast, they've outscored their opponents by 427 points in the other three quarters combined."

The latest issue came when Phoenix fumbled a second half lead to a vastly inferior San Antonio Spurs without their best player in Victor Wembanyama, a loss Vogel deemed unacceptable.
There are two primary reasons for just about all those 4th quarter collapses, and they are pretty much inarguable:

No 3 point shooting and ISO ball. ESPECIALLY ISO ball.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
There are two primary reasons for just about all those 4th quarter collapses, and they are pretty much inarguable:

No 3 point shooting and ISO ball. ESPECIALLY ISO ball.
Defense also seemed to fall off a Cliff in 4th quarters too.

Man… last season was just some fugly basketball to watch. I’m hoping Bud at least makes this team a little more entertaining. There was just ZERO flavor to the Suns last year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns needed an unexpected trade like Dallas made last season in the acquisition of Gannon and Washington to get them over the hump.

I'd feel a lot better if the Suns could strengthen the point guard or FC position now in preparation for such a potential trade that could fill a need.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm starting to carry a spray water bottle around with me to cool off and I live in Northern Arizona.
I’m in Oklahoma but spent 30 yrs in Phoenix.

Everywhere I go I bring the heat.

A few days ago we endured 97 degrees with a feels like of 122. A spray water bottle won’t work here:(

I feel for ya, hang in there:)

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Didn’t Allen start for the Bucks more than a few times?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd