Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see it either. Especially with a coach who puts so much emphasis on shooting. Unless Dunn somehow magically develops a reliable jumper this preseason, I don't see him getting much minutes until maybe the second half of the season, if we're lucky
We need defense so badly. We will see. Okogie started for a while. I think Dunn will be better than Okogie almost immediately. But yes, Chap, you are right. He needs to earn it. I am hoping he will eventually.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I read something the other day that gave me pause. Last year we hired a defensive oriented coach and James Jones then spent the off season loading up the roster with shooters who couldn't play defense... which, as we all saw, resulted in significant failure.

Now this year, we've hired an offensive minded coach and James Jones has (so far) spent the off season bringing in defensive guys who can't shoot.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what that translates to this upcoming season. :D

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fortunately we still have plenty of shooters. We just need to learn how to get them the ball without throwing it to the wrong team.

I don't think we have a talent problem, we have a fit problem. Too many guys that do the same stuff, I do like that we've leaned away from that.

My bigger worry is that the playstyle issues on offense last year were more about the players than the coaching. We often played too slow and we were crazy sloppy with the ball, largely a reflection of Durant's habit of playing super slow and being really careless with the ball. I don't know if Bud or anyone is going to change that about him at this stage of his career.

If we played fast, made cuts, moved the ball around crisply, then this offense would be really hard to stop, but Booker is the only guy who is even above average as a passer and Beal is the only guy who has the instinct to play quickly. Booker has shown the ability to play in a run and gun offense but NOT when he's been the primary ball handler.

Can we trade Beal for early 90s Kevin Johnson? This team might win 65 games.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read something the other day that gave me pause. Last year we hired a defensive oriented coach and James Jones then spent the off season loading up the roster with shooters who couldn't play defense... which, as we all saw, resulted in significant failure.

Now this year, we've hired an offensive minded coach and James Jones has (so far) spent the off season bringing in defensive guys who can't shoot.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what that translates to this upcoming season. :D
Yeah but we have 4 of the best shooters in the NBA on this roster in Book, Durant, Beal and Allan. So, I don't view it exactly the same but the bench does need to be more productive.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
The idea should be, before each game have Dunn and Okogie minick in the practice before the other team's sure harassing defenders on KD and Book, let them feel and prep how to resolve such nasty pressures. In game, let the opposing stars feel Dunn and JO's nastiness nonstop.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
Fortunately we still have plenty of shooters. We just need to learn how to get them the ball without throwing it to the wrong team.

I don't think we have a talent problem, we have a fit problem. Too many guys that do the same stuff, I do like that we've leaned away from that.

My bigger worry is that the playstyle issues on offense last year were more about the players than the coaching. We often played too slow and we were crazy sloppy with the ball, largely a reflection of Durant's habit of playing super slow and being really careless with the ball. I don't know if Bud or anyone is going to change that about him at this stage of his career.

If we played fast, made cuts, moved the ball around crisply, then this offense would be really hard to stop, but Booker is the only guy who is even above average as a passer and Beal is the only guy who has the instinct to play quickly. Booker has shown the ability to play in a run and gun offense but NOT when he's been the primary ball handler.

Can we trade Beal for early 90s Kevin Johnson? This team might win 65 games.

So true.
Especially the "cuts" comment. This team was sooo bad at having anyone cut to the hoop or to open space especially when any
of the big 3 were double teamed. Seems like BBall 101 to me, yet the concept was lost on this team. Hopefully Bud addresses it. Not holding my breath.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So true.
Especially the "cuts" comment. This team was sooo bad at having anyone cut to the hoop or to open space especially when any
of the big 3 were double teamed. Seems like BBall 101 to me, yet the concept was lost on this team. Hopefully Bud addresses it. Not holding my breath.
And this is one thing that Dunn does exceptionally well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but we have 4 of the best shooters in the NBA on this roster in Book, Durant, Beal and Allan. So, I don't view it exactly the same but the bench does need to be more productive.

It would be nice if the Suns had a motion offense and passed the ball more.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see it either. Especially with a coach who puts so much emphasis on shooting. Unless Dunn somehow magically develops a reliable jumper this preseason, I don't see him getting much minutes until maybe the second half of the season, if we're lucky

Unless the Suns can hide Dunn as a small ball center. I can see them trying it.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
Last years coach ran the big three into the ground. He never used the bench, 4th Qts were so ?!’vbn
no lead was safe in the 4th. KD passing to ghosts, KD bouncing ball off leg. Booker trying to be hero
and taking shots while double teamed. The rest of team missing the 3s they were making in quarters 1-3.
No attempt to drive to the hoop to draw fouls. Do what the Lakers do. They get a 10 point lead in the 4th, just drive to the hoop and draw fouls. Game over. Suns with 10 point lead in the 4th: Build a brick sky scraper from 3-land. Lose game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyle Lowry will play for the 76ers this season. Apparently one fish that got away.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyle Lowry will play for the 76ers this season. Apparently one fish that got away.

Gambo saying last spot will go to Okogie.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess if the Suns waived Roddy, they could bring back Isaiah Thomas... sarcasm, but not by much.

It's not rocket science to address depth at critical positions.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This does not disappoint me.

Roster Now

PG--Beal, Morris, Gillespe
SG--Booker, Allen, Okogie, DLee
SF--Durant, Dunn, Bridges, Little
PF--ONeale, Bol,
C--Nurkic, Plumlee, Ighodaro

Of course, Allen might play some SF and Durant some PF, and Bol playing some C. Some young players are going to be required to step up.

Last edited:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Gambo saying last spot will go to Okogie.
That's not a very inspiring off season.

Morris was a good signing, I think. Plumlee is a slight upgrade. But the rest of the bench is about the same, with not one, but (likely) two Okogies. And I will be shocked if Dunn plays much this season.