Suns @ Atlanta

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Atlanta is coming off one its best performances of the year when they beat the Pistons 91-82. The key to the Hawks success was great shooting: 46.7% including 41.2% for 3, while holding the Pistons to only 42.9% and 1 of 12 for 3.

Jason Terry shot 8 of 13 including 3 of 6 for 3 for 22 points while Stephen Jackson was 8 of 17 and 2 of 6 for 3 for 21 points. This was much better than their season average shooting percentage: Terry is hitting 43.9% and Jackson is hitting 40.9%.

Shareef Abdur-Rahim was certainly bothered by Ben Wallace and hit only 6 of 17 from the field was held to 14 points. This is well below his average of 19.9 ppg and 49% from the field.

The Hawks have only won 14 games and their stats show why:
They are outscored an average of 94.5 to 884. Their shooting percentage is close to their opponents: 43.6% to 43.2% and their rebounding is 45.5 to 45.8; but they make 17 turoves to only 13.4 by their opponents.

They proved against the Pistons that they are capable of playing decent basketball if their 3 pointers are falling. Over the course of the season they are hitting only 31.5% of their 3's, but obviously they are capable of much better shooting.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also played the New York Knicks to the wire the game before that. In fact if it weren't for a rather lucky three-point shot off the glass by Marbury at the end they would have won the game. I believe the Phoenix Suns CAN blow this team out of the water if they are focused, but it's far from a sure thing.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
They also played the New York Knicks to the wire the game before that. In fact if it weren't for a rather lucky three-point shot off the glass by Marbury at the end they would have won the game. I believe the Phoenix Suns CAN blow this team out of the water if they are focused, but it's far from a sure thing.

Joe Mama

Even with a pending ownership change, I expect there will be some roster moves by this team. Abdur-Rahim is scheduled to make $14.6 million next season, which will the the last year on his contract. He puts up great numbers, but they have not done the Hawks much good.

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
And a game or 2 before the Knicks game they convincingly beat the Spurs.

This will be a tough game. Sharef will be a hard matchup. I saw a bit of the Spurs game and he was able to score over Duncan down low it seemed at will.

GO SUNS! :thumbup:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Marion with another really poor game so far. He has done NOTHING.
0 points 0 assists 1 rebound 0 steals 0 blocks 5fga 1foul after 12 minutes

D'Anotni's stupid small ball being killed. 11-3 on the boards so far.

Barbosa being the best Sun out there right now being pulled with 4 minutes left in the first for Eisley.

Poor perimeter defense. Soft interior defense. Just flat out clueless defense.

Double-teaming Shareef... Why? Why? Has he ever lead a team on his shoulders?

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Putrid game to start.

Marion again struggles being forced to play the 4.

Oh and Eisley again proves to be a complete negative once inserted into the game.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
The rebound differential looks like it's from missing shots and Theo Ratliff on the offensive boards (from the Suns' perspective, Jake Voskuhl not boxing out). Looks like this might be a Jahidi White kind of game.

Donnell Harvey emerged from the doghouse at 6:00, the Hawks killed the Suns for four minutes, and Casey J came back in at 2:00--not auspicious for DH.

Harvey's line: 0-1, 0 RB, 0 AS, 1 foul...

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Wow Marion now has 1 rebound 1 assist 1 foul...

Outrebounded 17-6 at the beginning of the 2nd quarter, how does that sound?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chris_Sanders
All Marion's fault right :rolleyes:

Someone who says he has to step up and be a leader and makes that much money shouldn't be 1-6 2 points 1 rebound 1 assist 0 steals 0 blocks 1 foul near the end of the first half right?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns are going to win this game.

Atlanta has completely destroyed the Suns in every way...shooting, rebounding, assists...you name it.

Yet they only lead by 10.

I sense it will be the tale of two halfs.

Oh and Theo Ratliff should have been called for the flagrant against JJ

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
Someone who says he has to step up and be a leader and makes that much money shouldn't be 1-6 2 points 1 rebound 1 assists 0 steals 0 blocks 1 foul near the end of the first half right?

blah blah...can someone get slin a pacifier?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want to be sure you are going to give Marion credit when he plays well...

Because I haven't seen it. Like I said, you chase him like he took your sisters virginity or something. Nothing he does is good enough.

It's called being a hater.

Right now the Suns are shooting 30% and are being destroyed all over.

That's everyone's fault, not just one guy.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chris_Sanders
I just want to be sure you are going to give Marion credit when he plays well...

Because I haven't seen it. Like I said, you chase him like he took your sisters virginity or something. Nothing he does is good enough.

It's called being a hater.

Right now the Suns are shooting 30% and are being destroyed all over.

That's everyone's fault, not just one guy.

Hey, Penny's gone--SOMEONE has to take the blame for everything! If it isn't Eisley, it's Marion.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I am not a Marion hater but he is playing his worst season since his rookie year.

Posterized by Ratliff with the block, 2nd time Ratliff blocked him I think and then the dunk on the other end.

And everytime Marion is off he is taking a huge amount of shots too, more than when he is playing well.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Suns have taken more shots than the Hawks this half, so I guess they're making up for the rebounding differential somehow.

Looks like D'Antoni had the four players who were effective this half (Barbosa, JJ, Casey, Jahidi) in to finish things up--once again, I like his substitutions.

The Suns have no answer for Ratliff without Amare, but they were able to stay close; if they're able to shoot better than 31% in the second half, they should have a shot at the W.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The Hawks have taken 4 shots less and have 4 more turnovers.

The rebounding edge is mainly because of the Suns poor shooting but that doesn't matter. The Suns should be getting offensive boards but Atlanta still has one more offensive rebound than the suns.