Suns-Boston summer league game

KANIDJA

Registered
Reaction score
In exactly 2 hours on NBA TV. 1 am July 15. Just the heads up.
What does everyone thinks about Fabrico Oberto. Supposedly one of the best players, not only centers, in Europe. Can play d, play 4, rebound and has got strong post moves. I just don't understand how the Suns can't find a center. We don't need a scorer just someone that will bang down low and block shots. Spurs just keep getting better, better, and better...

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing, but my guess is that it would take more than an LLE to get Oberto to come over.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I thought he signed with the Spurs?

I watched 1st half...

I liked how Barbosa was playing. The team didn't make many jumpshots 1st half and the team just didn't play very well at all but the Suns weren't getting as many calls, as I thought they should. There was a foul like every second too but the Celtics sure were playing physical... Barbosa can get to the basket well, and was kicking out well but the team just wouldn't hit - he did struggle with some turnovers but the Celtics were playing a little physical...

I liked watching Thompson for a 2nd Round Prospect, IMO he'll make team but so far I haven't seen anybody else step up, Graham will make a move here and there but he turned it over a lot 1st half and he doesn't have much offense so far (he averaged less than 10 PTS in College).

It was pretty frustating but those 2 looked decent and it's Summer League - Barbosa does look improved IMO but he just doesn't look like a pure PG. IMO he looked like those 3 games that near end of season, everybody was saying that maybe we have something here...

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bball, my take was much the same as yours. I just finished watching the game. Barbosa had too many turnovers, but I liked the way she was running the pick and roll. I think it's difficult to get any sort of set play going in the summer league because the spacing is usually not good.

I agree with you regarding the referees except that I would say there were far too many whistles on both ends of the court. I mean I don't think they should allow animal ball, but this game was called tighter than the tightest NBA game I saw last season. Players were getting called for the reading on someone on the perimeter. It made the game excruciating to watch. Now I did like the way they were calling palming. Ronnie Nunn was interviewed during the game and he said traveling and palming would-be points of emphasis this upcoming season.

Overall Thompson played pretty well. He looked like he at least might have a chance to be a nice role player in the future. Graham had some nice moves, but he also made a lot of mistakes. I like Katelynas. He didn't do much in this game, but I think it's a little unfair because he is really a small forward. He's being forced to play power forward for the Phoenix Suns right now. He has great size and athleticism. He can shoot the ball and finish. I would love to see him play for the Phoenix Suns in the NBDL, but I know it costs money to sign these guys to NBA contracts.

Tischer is big and athletic, but he has a long, long ways to go.

Boston was just too big, experienced, and good. They had something like seven players in that game who will make their team next season.

Joe Mama

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Ronnie Nunn was interviewed during the game and he said traveling and palming would-be points of emphasis this upcoming season.

No offense, but it seems like every year we hear about how there are going to be new points of emphasis in officiating, and it's always the same pattern: the start of the season is called differently, everyone starts complaining, the referees gradually lose their resolve, and by playoff time it has gone back to normal.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Ronnie Nunn was interviewed during the game and he said traveling and palming would-be points of emphasis this upcoming season.

No offense, but it seems like every year we hear about how there are going to be new points of emphasis in officiating, and it's always the same pattern: the start of the season is called differently, everyone starts complaining, the referees gradually lose their resolve, and by playoff time it has gone back to normal.

I would have agreed before last season. By the end of the season they weren't calling the perimeter files is closely as they were at the beginning, but it was still better than had been in the past.

Joe

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I don't know but I saw Andre Blatche's summer league game yesterday on NBA.com and he was everywhere, getting steals, layups, jumpshots. He's gonna be a very good player. He was killing Chris Taft. Diagu played great also.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
I don't know but I saw Andre Blatche's summer league game yesterday on NBA.com and he was everywhere, getting steals, layups, jumpshots. He's gonna be a very good player. He was killing Chris Taft. Diagu played great also.

I really liked Blatche after I saw him in the Michael Jordan classic. I think a lot of teams will be sorry they passed on him. However I did not see him killing Chris Taft. Chris Taft had a very nice game. I think there will be as many teams sorry they passed on him. He will also probably contribute more quickly than Blatche.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
K

KANIDJA

Registered
Reaction score
Officials killed this game. There was no flow and nobody had a chance to show what they have. All I know Tischer or any of the bigs playing for Suns are not making the team. Only people that have a chance are Graham, who had couple of nice moves decent ball handling, and I guess Slay. Everyone else is finished.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
KANIDJA said:
Officials killed this game. There was no flow and nobody had a chance to show what they have. All I know Tischer or any of the bigs playing for Suns are not making the team. Only people that have a chance are Graham, who had couple of nice moves decent ball handling, and I guess Slay. Everyone else is finished.

I did find it sorta interesting that the video on Suns.com showed footage of Barbosa, Thompson, Graham and Brandon Kurtz, but nobody else... Why Kurtz? Apparently, he was also the MVP of the NBDL Finals last year or something.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kurtz's reverse dunk was pretty impressive.......that's probably the only reason it was on there. It was basically a highlight reel rather than actually showing the games.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
Kurtz's reverse dunk was pretty impressive.......that's probably the only reason it was on there. It was basically a highlight reel rather than actually showing the games.

You're probably right, but if it was a highlight reel, why wasn't any Ron Slay footage on it, since he was pretty spectacular apparently in the first couple games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan