Suns changes to Scouting and Player Programming

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns made a dramatic change to scouting and basketball operations in 2024 and it looks like it is paying dividends. I would think this was an ongoing process even before the draft.

We know the Suns hired Matt Tellem as assistant general manager and Brian Gregory as vice president of player programming, announced in June.

Then they hired Oronde Taliaferro as their Director of Scouting announced in August and let some scouts go.

Could the result be draft picks like Kris Dunn, Oso Ighodaro and adding free agent Collin Gillespie?

Sort of an outlier is Toumani Camara in the 2023 draft who looks to be a good pick.

I'm deliberately sticking to the last two drafts because going back further opens a Pandora's box.

It's fantastic to have a G-League team to help develop young talent.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
My guess is less James Jones = better personnel results.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I want to give credit where is do, but I don't know how much is James Jones and how much is Mat Ishbia among others.

One thing we know, James Jones turned the franchise around when he was hired. I'm forever grateful for that.

I do think Mat Ishbia is intent on taking the Suns to a higher level and he has demonstrated such.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Hard to make this argument, IMO, given how rapidly the roster evolved and competed as soon as he got the reigns.

He has been saddled by Sarver's cheapness and Ishbia's impatience, two very "hands on" owners, in very different ways.

Raindog

Reaction score
I want to give credit where is do, but I don't know how much is James Jones and how much is Mat Ishbia among others.

One thing we know, James Jones turned the franchise around when he was hired. I'm forever grateful for that.

I do think Mat Ishbia is intent on taking the Suns to a higher level and he has demonstrated such.
Honestly, I think the turnaround was more coincidence than cause and effect. Maybe give Jones credit for bringing in Monty, which led to Chris Paul wanting to come here. Other than that, most everything else in terms of key personnel that led to their ascent was either McDonough (Booker, Ayton, Bridges) or someone else (Cam Johnson was Jeff Bower's pet project).

Jones biffed most of his initial moves as GM (Ryan Anderson, Trevor Ariza). That they were able to turn Ariza into Kelly Oubre was also flukey given that Jones bungled the original trade of Ariza and then got lucky to find a fallback deal for Oubre. That's not mentioning his mishandling of drafts and many other personnel decisions when the Suns needed midseason help the last few years.

It seems to me that Jones has been more lucky than good in his job, and I will stick by the belief that if the Suns are turning the corner at all, it's more likely due to the contribution of other front office hires that Ishbia has brought in.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I think the turnaround was more coincidence than cause and effect. Maybe give Jones credit for bringing in Monty, which led to Chris Paul wanting to come here. Other than that, most everything else in terms of key personnel that led to their ascent was either McDonough (Booker, Ayton, Bridges) or someone else (Cam Johnson was Jeff Bower's pet project).

Jones biffed most of his initial moves as GM (Ryan Anderson, Trevor Ariza). That they were able to turn Ariza into Kelly Oubre was also flukey given that Jones bungled the original trade of Ariza and then got lucky to find a fallback deal for Oubre. That's not mentioning his mishandling of drafts and many other personnel decisions when the Suns needed midseason help the last few years.

It seems to me that Jones has been more lucky than good in his job, and I will stick by the belief that if the Suns are turning the corner at all, it's more likely due to the contribution of other front office hires that Ishbia has brought in.

The bubble is where the Suns started to turn it around. James Jones did bring in Cam Payne.

I can easily point out his mistakes but also want to give him credit, whether serendipity or not.

Raindog

Reaction score
The bubble is where the Suns started to turn it around. James Jones did bring in Cam Payne.

I can easily point out his mistakes but also want to give him credit, whether serendipity or not.
Fair enough, but I will always still maintain he got far too much credit for it... and deserves a lot of blame for the Suns faltering since.

Honestly, If he didn't come across as arrogant as he does every time he's questioned about the Suns failures, I would be far more inclined to overlook his mistakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake