Suns DO want Diener!

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Haha, only took a few years of campaigning :)

No Shake Up
Jan 28 - Even in the face of another "really bad loss," as head coach Brian Hill termed it when the Magic fell Friday night to the lowly Atlanta Hawks, GM Otis Smith said Saturday that he has no plans of seeking a deal that would shake up Orlando's core.
Phoenix has repeatedly inquired about the availability of reserve guard Travis Diener, but Orlando has been reluctant to make a trade because of its unwillingness to take back Marcus Banks and his $20 million contract.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice! That's why Banks is getting PT. It doesn't make sense for Orlando to trade a pg for a pg though. They already have Nelson and Arroyo. It is going to require a third team in need of a pg. Atl, Cle, Det? Hopefully this happens before the deadline.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
What if the Suns were to offer Banks and their 1st rounder this year? You think that would be enough?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What if the Suns were to offer Banks and their 1st rounder this year? You think that would be enough?

I think it's just a matter of them not needing another pg. I'm sure if we sweeten it enough they might bite, but it will be better if we just found a third team.

I just looked at Deiner's numbers and they don't look all that great. 4.9 ppg, 1.6 apg in 13.9 mpg, only 17 games. Although, he has shot 45% from the field and almost 40% behind the arc. I guess I bought into this board's hype. Why is it that we want him again?

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score

At some point Isiah is going to decide he needs another shoot first PG. At that point the Suns can swoop in and trade Banks for David Lee. :inmydreams:

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
At some point Isiah is going to decide he needs another shoot first PG. At that point the Suns can swoop in and trade Banks for David Lee. :inmydreams:

True. True. Especially if Francis cant shake his bothersome knee. :D

fordronken

Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks it's silly to give up a first round pick for a player who probably won't get any minutes?

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
A 1st? Way to much for Travis Diener. From what I've read about him, the only strength in his game is shooting. He is poor at creating off the dribble.

Diener in college was a good passer from what I remember of him. Especially when he was feeding it to D-wade. As for is a 1st being way too much, I would rather trade our first for Diener than trade it to get rid of a bad contract or something in the offseason. I mean hell there is a good chance the suns have 3 firsts this year anyways.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1. Banks for Diener does not make cap sense. Diener makes $664 K this year and Banks makes $3.6 million.

A deal for Diener and Garrity (expiring contract for $3.5 million) would make some sense only in a pure salary dump. The Magic are projected to have up to $15 million in cap space next summer, so it's improbable that they'd do such a move.

2. Getting Banks would not make sense to the Magic unless they are planning to unload Arroyo (who makes $4 million over the next two years) or Dooling (who makes $3.3 million this year and $3.5 million next). And no, I do not want either of these guys.

Considering the status on the Magic, the only Suns deep bench that might actually help them would be Jalen Rose. Rose is still a very good offensive player who simply can't handle the Suns pace and is not quick enough for their defensive scheme. He might actually get minutes on the Magic.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Considering the status on the Magic, the only Suns deep bench that might actually help them would be Jalen Rose. Rose is still a very good offensive player who simply can't handle the Suns pace and is not quick enough for their defensive scheme. He might actually get minutes on the Magic.

I hope D'A came to this conclusion as well. Maybe he isn't willing to give up enough to get deals done.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks it's silly to give up a first round pick for a player who probably won't get any minutes?

He looks to have more potential than any in this PG weak draft so if it's a need why shouldn't the Suns do it?

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Diener is very very small (around 160) and not super fast. His main plus is that he was a good ball handler in college and a very good three point shooter.

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Diener is worth no more than our 1st alone. We could do better for Banks AND the 1st.

My take is that the first would be included to entice the Magic to take Banks. Marcus has negative trade value right now.

And I would trade the Suns 1st for Diener if he wasn't going to be a FA this summer. Since he is going to be a FA - I don't know if I would do it.

Diener is the perfect backup PG for Nash though, I've posted the reasons 1 time to many I think - I'm not sure everyone could take me going on another rant about him :)

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Note: Diener just moved ahead of Arroyo on their depth chart, or so I read somewhere.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My take is that the first would be included to entice the Magic to take Banks. Marcus has negative trade value right now.

I just don't believe that, Andy. Marcus doesn't have a lot of trade value, but he certainly doesn't have NEGATIVE trade value, although most of this board likes to think so. You make it sound like he shouldn't be in the NBA. He's a solid player that may not be the best fit in this system, but that doesn't mean he has negative trade value.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Ugh.

Even knowing how the fans are obsessed with adding a white backup PG, I still can't believe the fuss that surrounds this poor man's Dan Dickau.

If the Suns are actually interested, I just lost another bit of respect for their front office. If they're offering more than Sean Marks and a 2nd-round pick, that's another chunk of respect out the window...

Fortunately, this is a Florida paper, so this story is probably just Magic execs trying to create some trade buzz for a guy who has no future in their organization.

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
I would give up our second round pick this year and anyone off our bench with the following exceptions: KT, Barbosa, James Jones............ORL can have their pick

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even knowing how the fans are obsessed with adding a white backup PG

Huh??? :doi:

There are plenty of fans who could care less about the color of our PG. I don't care if the guy looks like E.T. if he can play. Wait, is Van Exel still playing......? :D

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like we've been down this road with Banks. Let's just stay put and draft three young players...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05